Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 23 Aug 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1389166)   #1
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Appreciation of Marshalls

This may get moved to the Racers forum, but am starting it here because this is such an active forum.
I think it would be good if drivers kept a 5/10/20 pound note in their overalls pocket, so when they get helped by the marshalls, they can immediately show their appeciation by handing over the note for the marshalls' fund.
I certainly appreciated their efforts when they got me back to the garage after an engine failure, and let's face it, without them we wouldn't be out there racing. And it would probably make it fun for them, wondering if the guy who's just ended up in the gravel near their post, has a note in his pocket
Old 23 Aug 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1389175)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hi Mark, that's a really lovely idea, but from an administrative point of view it would be a nightmare. It leaves us open to accusations of holding onto dosh, arguments over how much was actually handed over, drivers claiming they didn't get fair treatment from the marshals because they didn't have money/didn't have enough money and all sorts of other things that I shudder to think about!

Also, from a safety point of view, is it a good idea to carry paper around in your overalls - you don't want money quite literally burning a hole in your pocket!!!!!!!!!

What is always acceptable if you want to make a donation is to give it to the Chief Marshal of the event. Monies will then either be put directly into the relevant Marshals' Club or as prizes into the Marshals draw at the end of the day. It's nice and manageable, it can be receipted and your kindness will be appreciated by everyone!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1389183)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Top Hat gives drivers the opportuntity to donate to the Marshall's fund (or whatever its called) with each entry form.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1389196)   #4
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So do ALL BARC competitors, there is a donations bit on the entry forms.

I usually bung a fiver every race meeting, remember that when reporting me for kerb hopping!!!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1389202)   #5
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom
I usually bung a fiver every race meeting, remember that when reporting me for kerb hopping!!!
We`ll remember it but will still report you as we would not like to show favourtism.

The answer to not being reported is don`t cut the kerbs !!!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1389212)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom
So do ALL BARC competitors, there is a donations bit on the entry forms.

That's new. I haven't done a BARC round for some time.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1389222)   #7
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
As EvilPumpkin pointed out, maybe my idea does have some flaws in it But I suppose there might be an element of "out-of-sight-out-of-mind" when it comes to donations (and yes, I made donations before) . Having an option on an entry form is good, as mentioned that BARC does (and 750 MC I think) , but maybe a collection "box" at sign-on may prompt more donations?
Old 23 Aug 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1389234)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Mark

We all appreciate the thought.

But personally I think drivers contribute by coming along and smiling even when things are going wrong. Marshals contribute by coming along and smiling after late finishes and bad weather!

It's our shared sport, money does not enter into it.

Regards

Jim
(a marshal)
Old 23 Aug 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1389246)   #9
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I enjoy marshalling because of uncertainty of what will happen.

Normally all of the drivers are really laid back (well club racers anyway) and will talk to you and thank you for what you do. Career races from my experience are really quite arrogant as tehy expect all of that work to be done anyway.

I think if you guys have an incident, pop up to race control and see the clerk of the course (if you dont have to anyway!) and write him a cheque.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 12:50 (Ref:1389261)   #10
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Clubs have a major part to play in this, given that they have access to so many competitors:
- A regular reminder to applaud the boys in orange.
- Generate a donation fund (perhaps at the AGM?), perhaps to buy a job lot of new Probans or weatherproofs.
- Or encourage 'gifts in kind' from those with something to give (perhaps in return for one free race entry).

On the latter I heard a story about a racer who worked at Covent Garden. When he turned up at Brands Hatch, he would bring crates of day old fruit and veg and let the marshals take their pick. There are enough racers who could offer something for nothing:
- Wine merchants who could pull together a crate of bin-ends.
- Someone in computers who could offer trade prices
- A certain beer importer I know regularly brings a few cases for the prize giving. It wouldn't take much to pop another couple of case in the truck.
- Someone from McVitie's 'loses' a couple of cases of Jaffa Cakes (equally Tetley tea bags, Mars bars, Branston pickle, Johnnie Walker Red Label, Andrex toilet rolls - the list is almost as endless as it is inane)
All it needs is a page on the website and a bit of lateral thinking. Most racers I know do appreciate the marshals, and a little encouragement would elicit some considerable donations. And human nature is such that a surprise gift (even a PotNoodle on a cold morning) would be appreciated more than cash.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1389327)   #11
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not in the 'business' for reward either, so money doesn't come into it, but lead me to the Jaffa Cakes !!!!!!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1389336)   #12
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I try and give all the marshalls posts a honk of my horn (!) or a thanks wave after the end of the race when coming in. Especially if we are the last race or it's wet.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1389434)   #13
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOOOOOOOO! not pot Noodles!!

The three championship winners at Combe last year bought a crate of champagne, signed all the bottles and donated it to the Marshals raffel, which I am now the proud owner of one!

I don't think we need the money, as said, there could be a collection at sign on and maybe any fines imposed could go toward the Marshals fund??

Anyway, The thought of maybe getting the chance to Marshal with me is more than enough!!!!!

Lee
Old 23 Aug 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1389492)   #14
davemullender
Rookie

davemullender should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the Milltek Sport BMW Challenge we have a whip round the drivers for £5 for each race then buy something for the marshalls raffle. Seems to work well as it gives a bit more visibility (which drivers don't get from adding a fiver to the entry form) and also makes sure all drivers 'donate'. (or we let their tyres down)

Dave
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1389546)   #15
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Point of view from a lot of marshals is the lack of a Thank You at a lot of events, not just circuits.
Those two words or the wave at the end makes all the difference, shows that you know we're there!!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1389567)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Twice I've retired from a race at Spa.

First time the marshalls all got me to sign their tee shirts before allowing me on to the bike back to the paddock.

Second time they offered to fix my car and let me carry on. Trouble is tying the throttle open with a bit of string wasn't the best idea. Hwy ho.

Always donate and more importantly I always wave after practice and after the race.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1389682)   #17
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm quite happy with a cheery wave from a driver or a quick thank you if I've managed to assist him/her in some way.

A grovelling apology for a misdeameanour goes a long way too
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1389687)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Agreed,

However we drivers are all aware of the dire straits that the Marshalling fraternity skirt around every year, so I am personally pleased to contribute. (I also hope Julius takes it into account when entries go in ).

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 23 Aug 2005 at 20:42. Reason: Gawd you have to ask? Splleing, wtah esle?
Old 24 Aug 2005, 07:24 (Ref:1389886)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
As many others before me have said, a wave to marshals on the slowing down lap always goes down well.

There are some splendid ideas being put forward here, especially discounts etc. Just for your guide there are already some deals in place. EBC have extended their 50% discount on brake parts to marshals (thats the same offer open to all MSA competition licence holders) and AWS Racewear are in the process of negotiating a deal with the British Motorsport Marshals Club for discounted overals.

If anyone reading this thread would like to put forward other serious offers of discount, I will be pleased to spread the word to the whole marshalling fraternity in my role as National P.R.O. for the BMMC.

E-mail me at s.c.green@btinternet.com if you would like to take it further.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1390026)   #20
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember a Caterham spinning off into the gravel at Maggots on the first lap. We ran out and pushed him out. He had a good race and on the slowing down lap was beeing his horn, waving both arms etc.

It was good for morale etc to see that. Not sure who it was but thanks!

Last edited by Robin_D; 24 Aug 2005 at 10:47. Reason: Spelling!
Old 25 Aug 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1391279)   #21
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
(I also hope Julius takes it into account when entries go in ).
Julius has always seemed to be generous towards Marshals.
I have a couple of excellent racing books that he provided for marshals at the Top Hat meetings.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 07:38 (Ref:1394244)   #22
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
I'm quite happy with a cheery wave from a driver or a quick thank you if I've managed to assist him/her in some way.

A grovelling apology for a misdeameanour goes a long way too
Hmmmmm my informants tell me you can be bought off with big boxes of sweeties!
Old 30 Aug 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1394807)   #23
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
Hmmmmm my informants tell me you can be bought off with big boxes of sweeties!
Not quite! The sweeties arrived the day after I'd reported the miscreant to the CoC!

In the days of the German Touring Car meetings at Donington, I always got the same team every year. Every day they would serve me coffee and biscuits, give me lapel badges and generally be very nice to me. They were always the first team to get booked for a breach of regs on race day though!
Old 11 Sep 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1404941)   #24
blackhands
Racer

blackhands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only just found this thread. I hear about donations to the marshals fund, but I have never known where the money goes. Do drivers understand that basically marshals get nothing and even kitting yourself with the necessary gear costs, as well as getting to and from the circuit. Also we get very few freebies (except badges which I don't use) - the only freebie I have had this year is a yellow Dunlop cap (which I woukldn't wear anyway) at the Brands Touring Cars meeting and a BMC cap at MGCC Silverstone. All I ask for is a bit of common courtesey in the form of a thank you from drivers at the end of a race.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 01:23 (Ref:1405186)   #25
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll stand all day in the sun and rain
Even though too many small grids can make it a pain
The reward I seek is all too plain
Just a wave of thanks even though your race may have been in vain