Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

View Poll Results: Should marshalling at least once a year be compulsory for drivers?
Yes, it should 13 28.89%
No, it shouldn't 5 11.11%
Good idea but wouldn't work in practice 2 4.44%
It should be encouraged but not mandatory 25 55.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Oct 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1726779)   #26
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The MSA does indeed include such in the Blue Book; only one such signature can be used and it must be in your own discipline of motorsport.

MSA compulsion would be unwelcome, I feel, and that body already encourages it by the above. Respect, as they say, for series that make it an elidgability matter.
Further encouragement might come from other series, say by awarding points for marshalling for a day - after all, you give up the opportunity to win points if you do so. Perhaps a proposal at the many series Drivers' Meetings that will take place shortly?
No points for someone else's meeting, of course!

John
Old 4 Oct 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1727879)   #27
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think forcing marshalling on drivers is not a good idea. I would certainly like to see the ARDS test incorporate a session on how marshal's marshal, what they do, how they are trained, and what drivers should or should not do in various situations.
By the same token I would be very happy to be given a session during marshals' training days from a driver, explaining what drivers look for, how we can understand driver's problems and see things from their perspective.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1730010)   #28
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I said this in the other thread - mandatory one day a season, no way.
If you're racing most weekends in a season, you probably want (or even need) a weekend away from the circuit, and not need to do your one day of the year.
Plus, how do you balance between those drivers who race every hour God gives, and those who do 2 meetings a year?

However, I would say it's different on making the optional upgrade signature between Nat B and Nat A mandatory. It would just be classed as part of the upgrade process, alongside the ARDS and 6 meetings, and I hope classified as such and thus not an imposition. And it would be better than just a session in the ARDS - going trackside means that you can see first-hand what goes on, as well as appreciate how they can make things easier for the bods in orange.
After that, there should still be encouragement to marshal, as then it's easier to the drivers to pass on opinions to marshals - and may also serve as a refresher.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1730021)   #29
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
My general impression of the marshals view of this is that they welcome Drivers onto the bank and appreciate their presence on one condition. The driver must want to be there, because that's the only way they'll learn anything of value.

I agree with Steve, Sam & all that to mandate it might boost the numbers a bit, but wouldn't actually make racing any safer or better organised. The only thing that does make things safer and better organised is when Drivers and Marshals autonomously decide to work together more closely.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 20:04 (Ref:1730226)   #30
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
My general impression of the marshals view of this is that they welcome Drivers onto the bank and appreciate their presence on one condition. The driver must want to be there, because that's the only way they'll learn anything of value.
spot on. If you want to be there you will enjoy the experience more, and learn loads.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1730229)   #31
racer-gal
Rookie

racer-gal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about the drivers in the younger series -14-17 year olds- *t-cars, ginetta juniors and saxmax*

they wound be able to... would they?

racer-gal
Old 7 Oct 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1730820)   #32
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From my understanding then cannot be on the bank, but they can be in other areas such as the paddock and can perform duties there.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 19:03 (Ref:1732148)   #33
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
I'd also like a bit more driver/marshal interaction in terms of training days. Particularly in terms of how they see flags at circuits and what we can do to make them more visible.
We have had drivers speak on a couple of our marshals training days at Oulton over the last few years (including David Leslie) Very enlightening to hear from their point of view.

All the drivers I've had on post over the years have said that they enjoyed the eperience. One even asked during a race if they (the drivers) were all as mad as that!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 8 Oct 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1732239)   #34
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mike Kelly 1]We have had drivers speak on a couple of our marshals training days at Oulton over the last few years (including David Leslie) Very enlightening to hear from their point of view.(Quote!)

A few years ago I was very privileged to be sat next to David Leslie in a 306GTI in company with Will Hoy, Alain Menu, and one other BTCC racer in similiar cars going around Silverstone GP Circuit. We topped over 120 mph down the Hangar Straight, and the nearside mirror next to me was actually tucked into the car alongside! In front was the back window of the 306GTI! David said that his estimation was, that one more inch and he would touch the rear bumper!!! We did seven laps like this, and David said, "Now tell me how I see a Flag Signal, especially in the wet!!!!?????"