Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Jun 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3913516)   #151
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Motorsport Total hints that there is possibility of Nissan, Honda or Lexus teams in the DTM in 2020. Of course, it's unlikely to see Japanese factory teams but as WRT showed, customer teams can be quite successful.
Those bosses who commented are really lame in GT500. First of all GT500 are Klass 1 plus alfa - at least they have jet ignition and more power. Secondly, all cars are leased by the teams, no team has own car.
Old 22 Jun 2019, 22:33 (Ref:3913583)   #152
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
It's well known that Nissan refused to sell cars to Konrad and Lexus to the Swiss team.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 04:10 (Ref:3913612)   #153
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
It's well known that Nissan refused to sell cars to Konrad and Lexus to the Swiss team.

First I’ve heard of either of those happenings.

No real surprise. The Japanese like to keep their GT500 cars close and are very selective on who runs them. Even trying to buy an older chassis that hasn’t raced for years is hard if you don’t have the connections.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 21:41 (Ref:3913796)   #154
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Those Super GT500 cars come with a lot of technology. Jap-automakers don't want them in wrong hands I guess.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 01:20 (Ref:3913815)   #155
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Those Super GT500 cars come with a lot of technology. Jap-automakers don't want them in wrong hands I guess.

Very much so. All of the GT500 cars I’ve seen in private hands (could count them on one hand) didn’t come with a drivetrain.

On a slight tangent there’s a GT300 Vemac in America and the owner is trying to put a stroked NSX motor in it. He’s on instagram
Old 24 Jun 2019, 18:12 (Ref:3913989)   #156
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'm travelling next weekend!
Old 4 Jul 2019, 09:36 (Ref:3915837)   #157
LDM
Rookie

England
SE London / NE Kent
LDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be at the DTM event at Brands Hatch this year for the first time, is this normally a big / busy event?
Old 4 Jul 2019, 14:01 (Ref:3915865)   #158
CharliesDad
Rookie

CharliesDad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDM View Post
Will be at the DTM event at Brands Hatch this year for the first time, is this normally a big / busy event?
I went to last years' DTM at Brands and it was far less busy than expected, I'd say maybe half the crowd of BTCC. There's a lot more down time on the track with bigger gaps in the support package. Less racing + higher prices seemed to keep the crowds away a bit
Old 6 Jul 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3916175)   #159
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Just came back from the Saturday activities. I certainly enjoyed it, but I expected a bit more, especially from the race action and surrounding scenery.

Between an online delivery and today, I've bought a dozen of model racecars. However I really couldn't convince myself to spend 60 euros for an AF Corse Ferrari.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 22:45 (Ref:3916223)   #160
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Between an online delivery and today, I've bought a dozen of model racecars. However I really couldn't convince myself to spend 60 euros for an AF Corse Ferrari.

Hope you did it for a Aston Martin Vantage DTM. Money has no fatherland!
Old 8 Jul 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3916554)   #161
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just came back from the Saturday activities. I certainly enjoyed it, but I expected a bit more, especially from the race action and surrounding scenery.

Would be interesting, what you are critical on?
Or what could be better.
Old 9 Jul 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3916710)   #162
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
There were few overtaking attempts, especially in race 1.

The venue wasn't as well maintained as I expected. Behind the grandstands there was dirt, and when wind blew the air got dusty.

It was a nightmare to cross the track. Twice we were told to stay in the grandstands of the main straight, rather than finishing crossing it all. This means we had no time to visit the paddock/fan village on Sunday.
Old 12 Jul 2019, 10:17 (Ref:3917126)   #163
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
Quote:
There were few overtaking attempts, especially in race 1.

The venue wasn't as well maintained as I expected. Behind the grandstands there was dirt, and when wind blew the air got dusty.

It was a nightmare to cross the track. Twice we were told to stay in the grandstands of the main straight, rather than finishing crossing it all. This means we had no time to visit the paddock/fan village on Sunday.

Ok, thats mainly the problem of non-permanent racetracks. I remember my visits at DTM Race in Singen around 1992, where you needed to walk through a muddy field to go on grandstand on mainstraight. Visit to Paddock was only possible, when coming or going to parking lot.

And yes - overtaking was not that much. I expected also more, but i think, power and traction is already to high. It needs some instability and not that much power to have interesting overtakes.
Old 12 Jul 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3917135)   #164
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGasfuss View Post
... overtaking was not that much. I expected also more, but i think, power and traction is already to high. It needs some instability and not that much power to have interesting overtakes.
It's the brakes and traction that are the problem - if they're too good then overtaking is made more difficult. The power is not an issue (and if aero was reduced then the power would make driving more difficult - more mistakes and more overtakes.)

I've only seen the DTM in the flesh at Donington and Brands Hatch (Indy and GP circuits) - the cars are at their best through the quick sections (they're much better on the GP loop than the Indy circuit at Brands for example). I don't know whether the Norisring is the best circuit for these cars? (It's an iconic venue but it may not show the cars off at their best?)
Old 12 Jul 2019, 11:00 (Ref:3917136)   #165
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDM View Post
Not as big or busy as BTCC but usually busier than British GT - don't know if that helps?
Old 18 Jul 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3918402)   #166
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Here's my public photos of Norisring: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...g_Speedweekend

Unfortunately I forgot my camera on Saturday, and had to use my old mobile phone. The Sunday photos are hardly better, as I was poorly located.
Old 10 Aug 2019, 19:05 (Ref:3922221)   #167
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just had my first taste of DTM at Brands and sum what mixed feelings from the day.

First off, the new breed of DTM cars are fast, really really fast!! Standing trackside it just bends the mind to see how late on brakes and early on throttle they are. But, this is also seamed to be a big problem in terms of the racing or lack off. All the action seamed to be focused around the pit stops and the mix of cars on old / new tyres. Apart from that, it was all very much as you were apart from the odd manover here n there. There just didn't seam to be a way to overtake. Maybe I'm too used to the BTCC door banging.

Also the timetable was a bit odd, the DTM race could have been held later in the afternoon as it was very noticeable how many people left after that was finished.

Last point from me, considering the scale of the DTM,it surprised me how little the manufacturers had to show off. Audi had a stand with one of last year's RS5's and a R8 V10, BMW had a 8 series and a M4 to Taxi on show and that was it. Nothing from Aston Martin. Compared to what you see when the Blancpain are in town, it was very poor.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3922278)   #168
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good to hear that Aston got on the front row, shame di Resta jumped the start, but it gives hope and encouragement for the future
Old 11 Aug 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3922283)   #169
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly saying the alleged di Resta's jump start is quite a debatable issue. Paul himself states he didn't jump the start, the commentator also claimed that and from my perspective it didn't look clearly like one but stewards have more data to judge. Nevertheless, his pace was good, which, as you said, gives hope for future. In my view Aston Martin ruined their own race. Great quali results turned into a disaster. Di Resta's jump start from P4, Juncandella (P9) crashed into Glock, which resulted in him getting drive through and Dennis (P6) being squeezed into the wall by Glock. Dennis by the way had a terrible start. Habsburg had a very lengthy pitstop (not quite sure what happened there) and there we go - potential for two-three Top 10 positions was wasted.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 05:41 (Ref:3922373)   #170
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Honestly saying the alleged di Resta's jump start is quite a debatable issue. Paul himself states he didn't jump the start, the commentator also claimed that and from my perspective it didn't look clearly like one but stewards have more data to judge. Nevertheless, his pace was good, which, as you said, gives hope for future. In my view Aston Martin ruined their own race. Great quali results turned into a disaster. Di Resta's jump start from P4, Juncandella (P9) crashed into Glock, which resulted in him getting drive through and Dennis (P6) being squeezed into the wall by Glock. Dennis by the way had a terrible start. Habsburg had a very lengthy pitstop (not quite sure what happened there) and there we go - potential for two-three Top 10 positions was wasted.
“aston Martin” on the pace in UK race? Hmm......
Old 12 Aug 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3922390)   #171
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
“aston Martin” on the pace in UK race? Hmm......
That was more to do with the conditions in qualifying that anything else on Saturday - Aston rolled the dice and sent cars out on slicks after the red flag. The Astons started lighting up the timing screens as the tyres came in and those on wets had to make a dash for the pits with the clock ticking down. Whilst the Astons were pounding around setting quicker and quicker times the others were still trying to get heat into the tyres - once they got them working the Astons started dropping down the order (as expected) but time ran out before everyone got them.

The cars are quicker than last year (they were below last years pole time in practice on Saturday and the track was nowhere near it's best at that point) but they don't sound as good now - rather than the ear splitting howl they now sound more like a GT3 car. Lap times were 8+ seconds quicker than the GT3 cars though so there's plenty of grunt still!

I was at Brands on Saturday only - but I have to say despite the ridiculous weather I still enjoyed it
Old 12 Aug 2019, 09:07 (Ref:3922394)   #172
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Just had my first taste of DTM at Brands and sum what mixed feelings from the day.

First off, the new breed of DTM cars are fast, really really fast!! Standing trackside it just bends the mind to see how late on brakes and early on throttle they are. But, this is also seamed to be a big problem in terms of the racing or lack off. All the action seamed to be focused around the pit stops and the mix of cars on old / new tyres. Apart from that, it was all very much as you were apart from the odd manover here n there. There just didn't seam to be a way to overtake. Maybe I'm too used to the BTCC door banging.

Also the timetable was a bit odd, the DTM race could have been held later in the afternoon as it was very noticeable how many people left after that was finished.

Last point from me, considering the scale of the DTM,it surprised me how little the manufacturers had to show off. Audi had a stand with one of last year's RS5's and a R8 V10, BMW had a 8 series and a M4 to Taxi on show and that was it. Nothing from Aston Martin. Compared to what you see when the Blancpain are in town, it was very poor.

I think you are right, cars are too powerful and still too aerodynamic for good racing. And of course too many cars from each manufacturer, which leads to heavy team orders...
Only pit stop strategy and safety cars change the races, and thats not what it should be.

I still don't think, you need 600+ hp in a racecar and F1-like aerodynamics. Both should be less, its all about the fighting.

But thats theory...most manufacturer don't want to see their cars fighting too close...
Old 12 Aug 2019, 10:39 (Ref:3922406)   #173
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
I’d be happy if the cars had 600hp but less aero. That’d spice things up a bit.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 12:22 (Ref:3922565)   #174
LDM
Rookie

England
SE London / NE Kent
LDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was at Brands for both the Saturday and Sunday and have to say I enjoyed both days - the qualifying for the W-Series on the sunday was exciting too!
Old 13 Aug 2019, 13:57 (Ref:3922569)   #175
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGasfuss View Post
I think you are right, cars are too powerful and still too aerodynamic for good racing. And of course too many cars from each manufacturer, which leads to heavy team orders...
Only pit stop strategy and safety cars change the races, and thats not what it should be.

I still don't think, you need 600+ hp in a racecar and F1-like aerodynamics. Both should be less, its all about the fighting.

But thats theory...most manufacturer don't want to see their cars fighting too close...
Eh, it isn't always like that. Hockenheim last year had an insane amount of DRS-overtakes for the lead between Glock and Paffett. I think they'd race much better at Silverstone or Donnington. Brands Hatch is just not a great track for "big cars"... Even British GT two weeks ago was rather processional.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (5) mit Tapatalk