Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Are Toyota better or worse than last year?
Better than last year 9 20.00%
Worse than last year 18 40.00%
About the same as last year 18 40.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Jun 2003, 21:39 (Ref:621139)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota - Better or worse than last season?

We haven't really seen much of them this year. But do you think their performance is better or worse than last year?
Old 4 Jun 2003, 21:51 (Ref:621156)   #2
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say about the same. Sporadically sparkling, sporadically horrendous, mostly 2/3 of the way down the grid. Bizarre.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 22:02 (Ref:621176)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Worse imo. Just goes to show that changing the drivers wasn't really necessary.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 22:03 (Ref:621178)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they've done better - they have the sparkle of doing better than they are, rather than just being terrible.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 00:10 (Ref:621288)   #5
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well last year they seemed to be quicker than many teams including BAR and Jordan. Both teams now completely outrank them. IMO they look worse. Even on circuits that are supposed to suit the "2nd most powerful motor in F1" (ask David Hobbs)they still have been very much off the pace. I have never seen someone get lapped 4 times. OP made history in my book last weekend.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 02:08 (Ref:621340)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worse, because they don't have an excuse anymore. They're not even that fast in a straight line this year!
Old 5 Jun 2003, 02:20 (Ref:621344)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Have I ever suggested they should get Scott Dixon over to drive?,then we'd see the red and white snails at the front end of the grid.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 05:25 (Ref:621404)   #8
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they are a little better but for the most part still on the same learning curve. Last year witt them being a new team there was lots of hype and hoopla, this year they habe been more reserved it seams because of less media coverage. Either way, they are still learning and none of the great teams had instant glory, they had to work it and go through down times...
Old 5 Jun 2003, 06:36 (Ref:621438)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering what kind of company is there behind this team, even being the same as last year must be seen as a backward step.
They should have improved strongly compared to last year poor performances, and this, with one more year experience, is to be evaluated negatively.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 07:06 (Ref:621453)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
worse, for a team with the same budget and amount of staff that Ferrari have they really should be doing better.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 07:27 (Ref:621468)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About the same as last year. Reliability problems, a few good races, a few shockers. Generally mid-field.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 11:25 (Ref:621644)   #12
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted 'worse'. Surely this year's car is quicker than last year's, so I guess their performance increased from that point of view, but relative to the rest of the grid they haven't been so impressive this year...
Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:29 (Ref:621779)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota's corporate top brass are starting to learn some hard lessons. F1 is expensive, but above all it requires a structured team of talented individuals, gelling as a team, and not looking over their shoulder for a P45. Like Jaguar, they have got all of this wrong.

A company with three times the turnover of Honda, God knows how many times that of Fiat, let alone Jordan, should not be losing out to those companies for long. Effectively, this is their third year of F1, remember, so they can't talk about inexperience.

Da Matta looks quite useful, but the testing rules have hurt him. The big concern must be the excessive reliability issues, mainly on Panis' car, and Olivier's lacklustre results. Both Olivier and Cristiano are, on paper, better choices than Mika and Allan respectively, so they should've moved up.

On the other hand, BAR and Jaguar's improvement, coupled with Brazil's fluke Jordan win, have made things look worse than they are.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:47 (Ref:621812)   #14
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anderson said at Monaco that they dont know whats wrong with the team. Theyre not any better then last year, the drivers are just better. When has Toyota ever done well in motorsports? LM when TWR built the cars, JGTC when TOMs won the championship. They cant do anything on their own.

Salo said team analyzers were telling him what his braking points should be! Japanese business culture and racing just dont mix.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 14:15 (Ref:621863)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we will see Toyota suits on the prowl, around the paddock looking to strengthen the engineering side.

Mike Gascoyne the main target, who can sit back and wait for the right cheque, with the appropriate number of noughts on it - to appear.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 19:37 (Ref:622150)   #16
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

I think many people underestimate how hard it can be to get an F1 team together. Look at Ferrari, from nowhere in 1980 to the most dominant team since Mercedes in 2002. I don't know if it'll take Toyota that long to win a WDC, but they must be patient, otherwise they'll become another Jaguar.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 19:39 (Ref:622152)   #17
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Have I ever suggested they should get Scott Dixon over to drive?,then we'd see the red and white snails at the front end of the grid.

Nah, you'd need to resurect Senna to do that!
Old 6 Jun 2003, 02:13 (Ref:622438)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have better drivers this year, but worse cars...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Jun 2003, 07:47 (Ref:622580)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually, given the effort they put in developing the cars, I think Salo and McNish, who I reckon are better drivers than they are given credit for, should have been kept on for a second racing season. We might have seen a more consistent development and improvement programme as well. As it is, relative to the other teams, Toyota have not impressed as they did last year.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 8 Jun 2003, 11:32 (Ref:624418)   #20
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at monaco and that toyota is so so loud. Toyota made a big mistake when they let McNish go.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 17:24 (Ref:626146)   #21
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota have the resources to get it right eventually. Bear in mind how long it took them to get to the top in CART (entered in 1996; didn't win a race until 2000).
Old 9 Jun 2003, 18:36 (Ref:626248)   #22
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their engine is better for sure...though Brunner's chassis isent special once again..maybe if they beef up their aero and chassis department..they`d be much closer to the front. In Da Matta..they have a great driver and Panis..while being very unlucky..is still a pretty handy old hand...a much better driver line up than last year.