Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Mar 2009, 03:49 (Ref:2428641)   #51
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard he is a little upset at not winning the championship and is considering the move if someone comes up with $$$$$$
Old 30 Mar 2009, 04:25 (Ref:2428652)   #52
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
I heard he is a little upset at not winning the championship and is considering the move if someone comes up with $$$$$$
Maybe he can buy TKR??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Apr 2009, 05:15 (Ref:2430291)   #53
kiwi butt
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Papatoetoe
kiwi butt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Johno Macaroon can bring his millions to Marky Mark Petch, and together they can make beautiful music aboard the new Marky Mark Petch owned Team Kiwi Racing.

A Kiwi driving a Team Kiwi Racing car? You think that will happen ever again?

I love you David Paul John
Old 1 Apr 2009, 07:09 (Ref:2430331)   #54
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I'll add to BB's post.

He did have last years car for sale (announced at Hamilton 400 last year) as they were building a new one (this years car). There was also rumor or interest at same time of Porsche GT3.

Yes this years car is on the market but no nothing has been announced, I know this because I asked him only a couple of days ago. All will come out in due time.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2430586)   #55
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The ad also says the franchise agreement is available with the car... so it sounds like it is final for NZV8's for Mr McIntyre
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Apr 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2430797)   #56
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The ad also says the franchise agreement is available with the car... so it sounds like it is final for NZV8's for Mr McIntyre

That is true. Will be interesting to see what comes out in the wash
Old 1 Apr 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2430833)   #57
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi GTR,
For the record. John McIntyre effectively owns TWO, NZV8 TA's [franchises] as well as 2 NZV8 Falcons. Until John tells me he is getting out of the class, I believe he is merely downsizing, as one would expect of a prudent team owner.

As for John selling the new car versus his old car, It would not have been lost on JMR that their new car proved no faster than their older car [which also one two championships] so why not sweeten the pie, by offering your latest and greatest?

Regards,

Mark Petch.
Chairman, VEEGA [V8 Entrants group Association]
Old 2 Apr 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2431140)   #58
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it not JM's old car that was sold to and raced by Inky?

If not was Inky leasing the car and is out for the next season?

If so that car took more hits then elvis.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2431153)   #59
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
Was it not JM's old car that was sold to and raced by Inky?

If not was Inky leasing the car and is out for the next season?

If so that car took more hits then elvis.
I thought Inky was using his (Inky's) old car and just getting tech advice from JMR, dont know where I thought that from though
Old 2 Apr 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2431176)   #60
DJJ
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC View Post
I thought Inky was using his (Inky's) old car and just getting tech advice from JMR, dont know where I thought that from though
If so who was running the 2nd franchise
Old 2 Apr 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2431203)   #61
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Ohh your way smarter than me DJJ, i thought Johnny was just holding Inky's hand for some dollars. Wasn't even thinking franchise.

And you were right about that other thing on the other thread as well (Study Law thing)
Old 2 Apr 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2431258)   #62
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Scream'n_Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to the Final round of the series at Pukekohe.

The main problems for this series are these.

1. There are no big screens. This is an essential part of motorsport viewing for major meetings these days. If you sit in the grandstand, you can't see anything from the hairpin through to the front straight because of the bridge. You also can't see the first corner because the hordings are too big. I don't know about other NZ circuits but this is a major problem.

2. The support classes. The Production cars were great (2o or so entries) but the rest were undersubscribed fields. Toyotas had about 8-10 cars, Fords had about the same and the minis had 7 cars. Porsches had about 12. Why not get rid of the minis (or put them in the production series where they belong)? If the fords and toyotas don't improve their fields, get rid of them as well and put the BMWs on, they're always entertaining, and also a GT class (possibly mixed with the porsches). Then there would be a real mix of classes and something for everybody to watch.

3. The facilities in general. Poor at best. This has always been the Pukekohe way though.

4. The NZV8s. They need to have standing starts. Absolutely a must. I like the format of the racing and the field sizes but the main thing that annoys me is the lack of parity. You may as well get rid of the Holdens and have a Ford series. Otherwise, there isn't much else you can do with it.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2431610)   #63
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream'n_Demon View Post
I went to the Final round of the series at Pukekohe.

The main problems for this series are these.

1. There are no big screens. This is an essential part of motorsport viewing for major meetings these days. If you sit in the grandstand, you can't see anything from the hairpin through to the front straight because of the bridge. You also can't see the first corner because the hordings are too big. I don't know about other NZ circuits but this is a major problem.

2. The support classes. The Production cars were great (2o or so entries) but the rest were undersubscribed fields. Toyotas had about 8-10 cars, Fords had about the same and the minis had 7 cars. Porsches had about 12. Why not get rid of the minis (or put them in the production series where they belong)? If the fords and toyotas don't improve their fields, get rid of them as well and put the BMWs on, they're always entertaining, and also a GT class (possibly mixed with the porsches). Then there would be a real mix of classes and something for everybody to watch.

3. The facilities in general. Poor at best. This has always been the Pukekohe way though.

4. The NZV8s. They need to have standing starts. Absolutely a must. I like the format of the racing and the field sizes but the main thing that annoys me is the lack of parity. You may as well get rid of the Holdens and have a Ford series. Otherwise, there isn't much else you can do with it.
Big screens cost money to set up and run and you've got to pipe in a video feed to that. I guess one way to offset the costs is to do what they do here in the USA and intertwine sponsor messages into the video feed.

The support classes used to be reasonably full but you have to understand the economy has hit those classes pretty well taking away personal and business discretionary income that used to fund cars in those classes. I'm sure the managers of those series are doing what they can to keep the car count up. As the economy picks back up you'll probably see a return in more car numbers.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2431746)   #64
Geewizz
Racer

Geewizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you sit in the grandstand, you can't see anything from the hairpin through to the front straight because of the bridge. You also can't see the first corner because the hordings are too big.
Yep, the Einstein that dream't up that bridge should have been shot with a ball of his own s%&#!
I would love to know how much it cost in $$, cause it certainly cost every spectator something - the view!
Why oh why they couldn't do a tunnel like Bay Park used to have for similar money beats me. It's only for pedestrians. How many cow cocky's throughout the country have put in those concrete tunnels under a road for their cows? These are precast, one piece units that can butt up to one another, and the road is repaired back over the top.
As it is at present, if you are in the hill stand you cant see the start finish, or the first corner, and if you are in the main stand you can't see China-mans hill!

Anyway - maybe Mr Petch can confirm - did some of the V8's at Pukekohe get 'sealed' by MSNZ till after the Hamilton meeting? If so, which ones, and what parts?
Old 3 Apr 2009, 02:55 (Ref:2432006)   #65
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Big screens cost money to set up and run and you've got to pipe in a video feed to that. I guess one way to offset the costs is to do what they do here in the USA and intertwine sponsor messages into the video feed.

The support classes used to be reasonably full but you have to understand the economy has hit those classes pretty well taking away personal and business discretionary income that used to fund cars in those classes. I'm sure the managers of those series are doing what they can to keep the car count up. As the economy picks back up you'll probably see a return in more car numbers.
I think the cost could easily be covered by a small increase in ticket prices. I'd be happy to pay more to see more. Also, the races are already filmed for TV anyway so why not run that straight to the big screen?

As for the support classes, I take your point that the economy is effecting the number of entrants and thats fair enough, but my point is that the classes aren't varied enough as well. I mean I can't see why they have a mini and production class seperate? I think that a GT class would add something that the minis just can't.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 04:53 (Ref:2432027)   #66
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think the cost could easily be covered by a small increase in ticket prices. I'd be happy to pay more to see more. Also, the races are already filmed for TV anyway so why not run that straight to the big screen?

As for the support classes, I take your point that the economy is effecting the number of entrants and thats fair enough, but my point is that the classes aren't varied enough as well. I mean I can't see why they have a mini and production class seperate? I think that a GT class would add something that the minis just can't.
I guess the organizers would have to weigh the cost/benefit ratio especially in regards to the price point people are willing to pay for a ticket. Personally as I said much of the cost could be offset by sponsorships as I've seen done here in the USA, but again you've got to have someone to set the screens up, run them on the weekend coordinating with the video production people and sell the sponsorship for it. I don't know if NZV8's is set up to do that kind of thing. It's easy to do the Jeremy Clarkson "how hard can it be", but logistically there are some issues there.

The support classes you have to remember have only been recently affected so it's too early to do a knee jerk reaction to it. Personally i prefer the sport sedans and the production series over multi marque series, but it has to be done in a way to keep people happy. The Porsches despite the one make status I am content to keep as is and perhaps the solution there is to try to attract more international entrants interested in having some fun in the northern hemi off season.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2432146)   #67
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
As much as I would love to see big screens at the NZ rounds I’m with mountainstar on this. Unless you can find someone to fund it it just aint gona happen. Reality is there are just not enough bums on seats to justify it.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 09:44 (Ref:2433035)   #68
DJJ
Racer

Most of the tracks are viewer friendly as you can see the all of the track.

Big screens no, more cost. Buy a cheap hand held tv some where as there is a low level broadcast from the production guys.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 22:43 (Ref:2433627)   #69
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Quote:
As much as I would love to see big screens at the NZ rounds I’m with mountainstar on this. Unless you can find someone to fund it it just aint gona happen. Reality is there are just not enough bums on seats to justify it.
I just feel that the series really needs stuff like this to happen for the popularity of it to grow. I mean, you can promote it effectively and put on a great show, but why bother going to a round if you can't see it?
Old 5 Apr 2009, 04:15 (Ref:2433696)   #70
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I just feel that the series really needs stuff like this to happen for the popularity of it to grow. I mean, you can promote it effectively and put on a great show, but why bother going to a round if you can't see it?
Personally for me when I started going to road races here in the USA it was par for course that you could only see part of the track, hence my routine would be to gradually walk around most of the course during the course of a race and experience all the vantage points. I was surprised when I started going to tracks down under as it is common for many of them to lack of elevation changes and have a clear infield, so from most vantage points you can see most of the track.

However from my POV it's pretty pointless if you can see the whole track because much of it you wont be able to see much detail anyways.

The reason to go to the track is to get up and personal with everything in pits and trackside on the fence. So for me that's the "experience". Not to sit on the stands and watch video feed, but that's just me.

There again with the video screens, you got to source them, set them up, run them and pay for them. I've seen it done and it's no easy effort. I don't know if the pockets are that deep to be able to do that in NZV8's. Probably a better idea would be to convince the tracks themselves to get involved as part of their permanent set up at the track.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2434590)   #71
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Personally for me when I started going to road races here in the USA it was par for course that you could only see part of the track, hence my routine would be to gradually walk around most of the course during the course of a race and experience all the vantage points. I was surprised when I started going to tracks down under as it is common for many of them to lack of elevation changes and have a clear infield, so from most vantage points you can see most of the track.

However from my POV it's pretty pointless if you can see the whole track because much of it you wont be able to see much detail anyways.

The reason to go to the track is to get up and personal with everything in pits and trackside on the fence. So for me that's the "experience". Not to sit on the stands and watch video feed, but that's just me.

There again with the video screens, you got to source them, set them up, run them and pay for them. I've seen it done and it's no easy effort. I don't know if the pockets are that deep to be able to do that in NZV8's. Probably a better idea would be to convince the tracks themselves to get involved as part of their permanent set up at the track.

Well they would be a massive white elephant for the tracks as they would not get much more use out of them as not many other TV Broadcasts would be available for other meetings.

The biggest thing for Puke would be to lose the Bridge and make it a tunnel but with the track being on it's last legs. If I was going to be going to all rounds I would look at taking a hand held TV as then you can find your favorite position on the track and also have TV covereage to see the rest of the track.

Being to US road racing myself and below the very top levels I have never seen a TV big screen set up in operation.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 03:50 (Ref:2434782)   #72
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Well they would be a massive white elephant for the tracks as they would not get much more use out of them as not many other TV Broadcasts would be available for other meetings.

The biggest thing for Puke would be to lose the Bridge and make it a tunnel but with the track being on it's last legs. If I was going to be going to all rounds I would look at taking a hand held TV as then you can find your favorite position on the track and also have TV covereage to see the rest of the track.

Being to US road racing myself and below the very top levels I have never seen a TV big screen set up in operation.
Regarding that white elephant, after posting that I realized that would probably would end up being the case. I was thinking for instance about my home track(Ruapuna) and just how many race weekends have film crews in place and it's not many.

Personally for me I don't see it as a priority. I think there are other things you could focus on.

The handheld tvs are an idea. I think it's called kangaroo tv??? I remember they got their start at Champcar races back in 2004 or so and I know they've branched out to Le Mans and Nascar among others. I never used one but have a friend who has and I guess the first units were bulky and didn't work all that great but they refined it and I hear they are pretty good. Realistically that is a better option than setting up big tv screens with all the issues that come with that.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2434937)   #73
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The biggest thing for Puke would be to lose the Bridge and make it a tunnel but with the track being on it's last legs.

That is all well and good, but aside from what you point out, isn't Pukekohe's front straight over the Franklin District Council's main storm water drain?

You must have connections that have been in the sport long enough to confirm this.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 10:17 (Ref:2434941)   #74
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just to satisfy everyone's curiousity, I spent part of today with a chap who specialises in big screens.

A 4 metre by 3 metre screen for outside broadcast at a race track is between $12,000 and $15,000 per screen for a two-day event/weekend.

Do the maths and please explain how much it would take for an increase in gate sales per event to make this viable.

2 screens per track times 7 rounds times $15,000 equals $210,000.

What's your thoughts?

Petchy will no doubt add some thoughts from a "bosses" perspective.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2435024)   #75
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Just to satisfy everyone's curiousity, I spent part of today with a chap who specialises in big screens.
Ahh we been talking to the same fella