Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Nov 2009, 07:09 (Ref:2590604)   #76
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Actually DRT I have seen reference to the $6 mill per year (capped) for five years agreement in a whole lot of places.

Honestly cbf finding all the references but I've seen it heaps.

With the cost of building a street circuit being what it is, it would make no sense at all for the govmint to kick in $30 mill in year one.

Are you sure that the heat in Sydney is not playing tricks on your recollection?
Old 28 Nov 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2590605)   #77
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I would be interested to know how one can be 'handed' a facility while paying rent for it? Sounds a contradiction does it not?

Peppercorn rent at a little under $700,000.00 is an interesting perspective.
At commercial rates, a return of 6% or so pre-tax is an acceptable income for real estate property.

Extrapolating the reported $700,000 in rent expense for the ARDC, this puts the value of Eastern Creek at a touch under $12,000,000!

Can I please buy Eastern Creek at that price? Please!

I suspect that with the help of a property developer, I could magic the rezoning and carve more than 40x 1/4 acre blocks out of the joint to get that money back
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Nov 2009, 23:25 (Ref:2591011)   #78
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

here...

Quote:
Anyone but that Whincup fellow again: Frosty's wish

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 28 Nov 2009, 23:43 (Ref:2591020)   #79
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here...

Quote:
V8 driver Jamie Whincup rated better than Peter Brock

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 28 Nov 2009, 23:58 (Ref:2591028)   #80
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice job totally misquoting the article:

Quote:
As good as Whincup is, Moffat is still reluctant to rate him alongside Brock, who was killed while racing in 2006.

"I think the biggest talent of all time is no longer with us.

"There weren't too many like Peter Brock but Jamie is also special."

Skaife agrees. "He never looks flustered and his car control is amazing," he said. "He is the benchmark guy."

Meanwhile, Whincup doesn't care for records, and even less for comparisons with his idols.

"I grew up worshiping these blokes," Whincup said. "I don't want to be compared to them. I am just out there doing my job and being the best I can be. I don't think too far beyond that."
Old 29 Nov 2009, 00:06 (Ref:2591033)   #81
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree with Moff.
Old 29 Nov 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2591034)   #82
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Nice job totally misquoting the article:
It's the headlines that I have quoted rather than the whole article.

Old 29 Nov 2009, 00:12 (Ref:2591038)   #83
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
oh, sorry then, stupid headling grabbing editors. Lame
Old 29 Nov 2009, 00:13 (Ref:2591039)   #84
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
oh, sorry then, stupid headling grabbing editors. Lame
No probs mate.

edit to add...I posted that pic as I thought some of those trophies are impressive.

Old 29 Nov 2009, 01:46 (Ref:2591066)   #85
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Actually DRT I have seen reference to the $6 mill per year (capped) for five years agreement in a whole lot of places.

Honestly cbf finding all the references but I've seen it heaps.

With the cost of building a street circuit being what it is, it would make no sense at all for the govmint to kick in $30 mill in year one.

Are you sure that the heat in Sydney is not playing tricks on your recollection?
$30 million up front was for SOP amendments/destruction, purchasing equipment, etc rather than splitting event costs over 5 years. This would have made more sense though as if the event only runs for a couple of years the money is gone.

Your eagerness to find supporting references gives me a wealth of confidence and value of your above statements"

An easy solution for all this would be for the Government and V8SA lay bare their deal? Yet for some reason they do not.
Old 29 Nov 2009, 03:02 (Ref:2591084)   #86
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This has got to be as ridiculous as Mark Skaife's constant badgering about the amazing rise and fall of the circuit
Time for a change of topic I reckon, we've done the politics and budgeting to death, I reckon we agree its a waste of money.

So last night I did a lap of the track, and I was surprised - I think its going to be really exciting. The pit straight was blocked off so I didn't get to drive there, but the rest of the track looks really cool.

I gave it a bit of stick on the run to the sweeper after turn 1, its really narrow there!

At one point I was driving down the straight towards the train station (interesting take btw on the "bus stop" term for a complex ), and this Statesman came FLYING up behind me, overtaking over unbroken lines. I thought it was an unmarked car trying to race me at first, but he continued down the track. He must have seriously got up to around 140+ - in a 40 zone! Nutter. People see an RX-7 feel they have to prove themselves.

It was pretty cool driving around on the track, between the walls and tyre bundles, under the sponsor signage etc. I wish I could have opened it up a bit more

One thing I noticed is a complete lack of shading for the grandstand seating. Not unusual I suppose but if this heat keeps up people are going to bake.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 29 Nov 2009, 04:34 (Ref:2591088)   #87
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Your eagerness to find supporting references gives me a wealth of confidence and value of your above statements"
OK DRT, I just spent 5 minutes on google to get the following links. I went out of my way to not include links from the V8 site or similar so some of this stuff is against the event. All these links are from early this year or (mostly) from around the time the event was announced.

You'll need to read through it all but you'll see that whilst opponents seemed to be talking about 30 odd mill for year one and more in following years (up to 90 mill) the govt have consistently said from the outset that its contribution would be capped at 25 - 30 mill over the five years of the event.

Enjoy!
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro.../LA20081203049
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...29/2377017.htm
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro.../LC20080924046
http://www.gordonmoyes.com/2008/12/0...400-bill-2008/
http://www.independent-nsw.com/MAY0904.html
Old 29 Nov 2009, 07:47 (Ref:2591108)   #88
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
V8SA were fairly upset that the Australian Open Golf tournament was timed on the same weekend as the race, you can add to this the Homebake music festival which will be held on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
the govt have consistently said from the outset that its contribution would be capped at 25 - 30 mill over the five years of the event.
Thanks for the links Tourer, quite amazing to read some of the comments of Ian McDonald during the discussions.

As you mentioned a lot of conflicting information provided by in those links. What interests me is how can there be hard line cap of between 25 - 30 million? Another comment involved the government incurring expected losses for the event in its first 3 years?

NSW Government and V8SA releasing the details of the use of public money would put this all to bed.
Old 29 Nov 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2591115)   #89
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some positive press in the SMH about Homebush

Article Here

to AAP!!

138,000 tickets sold so far... a fair way from the ~50,000 inquired of Mr Howard...

Maybe this thing is gunna happen after all?
Old 29 Nov 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2591155)   #90
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
Time for a change of topic I reckon, we've done the politics and budgeting to death, I reckon we agree its a waste of money.

So last night I did a lap of the track, and I was surprised - I think its going to be really exciting. The pit straight was blocked off so I didn't get to drive there, but the rest of the track looks really cool.

I gave it a bit of stick on the run to the sweeper after turn 1, its really narrow there!

At one point I was driving down the straight towards the train station (interesting take btw on the "bus stop" term for a complex ), and this Statesman came FLYING up behind me, overtaking over unbroken lines. I thought it was an unmarked car trying to race me at first, but he continued down the track. He must have seriously got up to around 140+ - in a 40 zone! Nutter. People see an RX-7 feel they have to prove themselves.

It was pretty cool driving around on the track, between the walls and tyre bundles, under the sponsor signage etc. I wish I could have opened it up a bit more

One thing I noticed is a complete lack of shading for the grandstand seating. Not unusual I suppose but if this heat keeps up people are going to bake.
I also went for a drive around the track the other night, like other people are saying, surprisingly very narrow. The race will be interesting, but also will be an expensive excercise for teams who get it wrong and end up in the concrete walls.
Old 29 Nov 2009, 10:37 (Ref:2591158)   #91
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
There was some chat in places that at least 1 team is seriously contemplating a pad change, or has at least practiced it... or kept practicing it... since the enduros
Old 29 Nov 2009, 22:14 (Ref:2591418)   #92
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There was some chat in places that at least 1 team is seriously contemplating a pad change, or has at least practiced it... or kept practicing it... since the enduros
Interesting, this is a quote from Facebook by Mark Winterbottom

http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Mark...122056?ref=sgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Winterbottom

Here we are the last round of 2009 and potentially the biggest and best event. I've been looking forward to this round all year, I cant wait to get my car on the track. Sydney is my home state and i grew up 15 minutes from Home Bush, this is the round i want to win. The track is tight and surrounded by concrete walls so it will be hard on brakes, but we will be on top of that. See you there or tune in on Ch7
Old 29 Nov 2009, 22:45 (Ref:2591439)   #93
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
At one point I was driving down the straight towards the train station (interesting take btw on the "bus stop" term for a complex )
isn't the "bustop" area the actual tour coach drop off/pickup point outside the western side of Telstra Stadium, not the train station section (south est side of Tesltra Stadium)?? in that short straight after the right left, they actually drive through the "bus stop" rather than the usual public road
Old 29 Nov 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2591450)   #94
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps, I don't know where the coaches stop. I was just referring to the fact that often "bus stop" is used to describe a chicane complex, like at Spa... I thought it was interesting that in this case, there is a train station at a point in the track similar to the Spa bus stop.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 00:45 (Ref:2591483)   #95
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Its raining rather heavily just outside my window right now... how will they go in the rain?
Old 30 Nov 2009, 00:46 (Ref:2591484)   #96
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Its raining rather heavily just outside my window right now... how will they go in the rain?
The Giz for a win?
Old 30 Nov 2009, 00:52 (Ref:2591487)   #97
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forecast (for what it's worth) says rain all gone by Thursday and fine in low 30's for all 3 days of the meeting.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2591489)   #98
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you look on the V8 Website for the map http://www.v8supercars.com.au/circui...et+Race%2C+NSW

the straight between turns 4 & 5 is the coach bay, notice it is slightly west of a straight line drawn between the track prior to turn 4, and the run off to the south of turn 5 (near the "Gate 5" logo). this is what they are referring to with that term of "bus stop"
Old 30 Nov 2009, 00:58 (Ref:2591491)   #99
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Forecast (for what it's worth) says rain all gone by Thursday and fine in low 30's for all 3 days of the meeting.
Hope it doesnt rain.. two free concerts n all.. oh yeah, some noisy old race cars too

More interesting safety problem may be build up of water inside the circuit piece.... maybe a swimming pool?
Old 30 Nov 2009, 01:03 (Ref:2591494)   #100
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Vodafone goes Pink