Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Dec 2017, 11:04 (Ref:3785399)   #901
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
looks like Williams are having second thoughts on Kubica.......but none of the others are realistic, perhaps Kvyat as a long shot.....but Diresta, do me a favor, no way.......how about plucking a driver from the IRL or WEC.......would still love to see Anthony Davidson get a good F1 chance.

But perhaps someone like Dixon, Hunter-reay, Power, Pagenaud, even Castroneves???.....
Old 6 Dec 2017, 13:51 (Ref:3785424)   #902
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
looks like Williams are having second thoughts on Kubica.......but none of the others are realistic, perhaps Kvyat as a long shot.....but Diresta, do me a favor, no way.......how about plucking a driver from the IRL or WEC.......would still love to see Anthony Davidson get a good F1 chance.

But perhaps someone like Dixon, Hunter-reay, Power, Pagenaud, even Castroneves???.....
If the WEC world rumors are true he may have plenty of free time next season to pursue an F1 drive. His results weren't great pace-wise early in the season and he skipped a race for team stated "personal reasons."

I love the IRL guys but outside of maybe Pagenaud are any of them really the kind of drivers who can make that jump? RHR, Power and esp Castroneves I'd say are not close to F1 material, Helio is only in IRL for Indy this season and relagated (sorry IMSA, but for him it's not a promotion) to Penske's sportscar program.

Di Resta seems to be that guy like Alexander Wurz was for years at McLaren. Not world beating fast but a guy who can tell you what the car needs. I haven't seen anything to say he is nearly as good at that as Wurz was claimed to be but having a test driver who can articulate what the car is doing can be vital to teams with young drivers. But then maybe most of the news I read just loves him so they've overblown how good he is. But in-race, nothing spectacular so worthy of a full year ride, maybe not so much.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 14:02 (Ref:3785427)   #903
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
If the WEC world rumors are true he may have plenty of free time next season to pursue an F1 drive. His results weren't great pace-wise early in the season and he skipped a race for team stated "personal reasons."

I love the IRL guys but outside of maybe Pagenaud are any of them really the kind of drivers who can make that jump? RHR, Power and esp Castroneves I'd say are not close to F1 material, Helio is only in IRL for Indy this season and relagated (sorry IMSA, but for him it's not a promotion) to Penske's sportscar program.

Di Resta seems to be that guy like Alexander Wurz was for years at McLaren. Not world beating fast but a guy who can tell you what the car needs. I haven't seen anything to say he is nearly as good at that as Wurz was claimed to be but having a test driver who can articulate what the car is doing can be vital to teams with young drivers. But then maybe most of the news I read just loves him so they've overblown how good he is. But in-race, nothing spectacular so worthy of a full year ride, maybe not so much.
Dixon would be a good bet to make the jump other than age. Newgarden for sure could make it. Pagenaud, power, Rossi and a few others could probably hold their own as well.

I think the gap between the two is overblown. There are guys in f1 solely because of money they bring, and they don't perform too far off the ones there on merit, so I have confidence the upper third of IndyCar could make it. Remember, Chilton was in f1, went to indycar and was still bottom third/half in that series. You would think being in fairly equal cars that someone that held his own against his teammate in f1 could see a jump in results going to a spec series a supposed step below, but that didn't happen even with the second best team.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3785431)   #904
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Newgarden definitely deserves a shot in F1, he has got the talent, remember how good he was in FFord? As for Chilton, he hasn’t done that bad in Indycar, I seem to remember he qualified well up for his first oval race in an Indycar
Old 6 Dec 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3785441)   #905
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
None of the above are options. It seems Williams have decided against Wehrlein who I would have thought was the best bet.

The issue with Kubica seems to boil down to qualy speed. His race pace is good and there are no issues physically it seems. Williams feel they will have a Q3 car next year and want to make sure both drivers maximise its pace. Race pace is fine but the stats just out suggest overtaking is not easy so qualifying 13 or 14 is no good.

In terms of pace it seems too that Kubica wasn't getting to grips with the tyres so it's not necessarily a pace issue, just how he uses the tyres. In fairness after 6+ years away, it's to be expected. He's a class act and surely would work it out.

I still reckon they'll go for Kubica.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3785448)   #906
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well when are they gonna announce it? I don’t want this to run and run
Old 6 Dec 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3785449)   #907
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there must be something really unworkable with wehrlein, he’s a complete no-brainer otherwise.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3785451)   #908
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
there must be something really unworkable with wehrlein, he’s a complete no-brainer otherwise.
Hmmm, he keeps missing out as an automatic choice doesn't he?

To be honest although he's not the most exciting bloke to listen to I think Di Resta is underrated by most.

I think he was unfortunate to be ousted by Force India after only 2 years. He held his own against Hulkenberg which is normally seen as a decent barometer of ability these days.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3785456)   #909
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As Wehrlein is a contracted Mercedes driver, I can't help but wonder if this is the stumbling block. As PDR is also contracted to Mercedes, do Williams feel that having 2 Mercedes Drivers on the books would be too much influence by Mercedes especially if Daddy Stroll's chequebook is influencing the team as well.

Would Stroll with a Mercedes driver plus one other allow Williams themselves to keep their "independence" ?
Old 6 Dec 2017, 15:36 (Ref:3785457)   #910
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Chunt - Di Resta underperformed for 3 yeas, not 2. And not alongside Huelkenburg for more than 1.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3785464)   #911
S griffin
Veteran

Di Resta wasn’t really overrated, he did a very good job in F1, but apparently what did for him was that he wasn’t very good at motivating the team in the hard times
Old 6 Dec 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3785467)   #912
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
To be honest although he's not the most exciting bloke to listen to I think Di Resta is underrated by most.

I think he was unfortunate to be ousted by Force India after only 2 years. He held his own against Hulkenberg which is normally seen as a decent barometer of ability these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Chunt - Di Resta underperformed for 3 yeas, not 2. And not alongside Huelkenburg for more than 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Di Resta wasn’t really overrated, he did a very good job in F1, but apparently what did for him was that he wasn’t very good at motivating the team in the hard times
Di Resta was looking likely to get a Mercedes seat at one point - I can't remember if it was Schumacher coming out of retirement or Hamilton leaving McLaren that torpedoed that move. Either way - he was a front runner to step up from Force India but lost out in the musical chairs as he was replaced at Force India but never got into the Mercedes.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3785478)   #913
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
di Resta wasn't amazing, but there were times people were saying "look how amazing Sutil is doing!"...whilst di Resta was doing better. For example, the time Sutil was on a ridiculous pit stop strategy and led a race, but anyone with common sense knew he was going to end up at the back. Sure enough, Sutil was some sort of driving god for that race. Still finished behind di Resta though?

Force India ruined races for all their drivers regularly too. So sometimes good drives were hidden behind stupid pit stop strategies that wouldn't even work in Grand Prix Manager 2.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3785486)   #914
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there are lots of fast drivers out there, Frijns, Rosenqvist, Di Grassi, for example but all are maybe a bit fast for the Strolls
Old 6 Dec 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3785488)   #915
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rosenqvist is a great shout. He's going to be on the "Lost F1 talent" list I fear.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 18:47 (Ref:3785497)   #916
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will bug me till the day i die that Frijns missed the boat with F1.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 05:15 (Ref:3785580)   #917
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also had hopes that Robin could be in F1, but got a podium in his Formula E campaign.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 09:49 (Ref:3785617)   #918
S griffin
Veteran

I don't think people have forgotten how he won the title in F.Renault 3.5
Old 7 Dec 2017, 10:43 (Ref:3785628)   #919
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Hmmm... another new name for 2018? Maserati Haas F1 Team?
Old 7 Dec 2017, 12:17 (Ref:3785633)   #920
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Looks to me like Ferrari feel the need for more political clout in F1...
Old 7 Dec 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3785640)   #921
Kampie
Rookie

Netherlands
Kampie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't this the Ferrari way to say: "Alfa Romeo and Maserati are for sale"?
Old 7 Dec 2017, 14:43 (Ref:3785656)   #922
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampie View Post
Isn't this the Ferrari way to say: "Alfa Romeo and Maserati are for sale"?
It may be Marchionne's way - but not Ferrari.

Ferrari do not own either Alfa Romeo or Maserati.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3785665)   #923
Kampie
Rookie

Netherlands
Kampie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It may be Marchionne's way - but not Ferrari.

Ferrari do not own either Alfa Romeo or Maserati.
True, I meant FCA
Old 7 Dec 2017, 16:04 (Ref:3785673)   #924
Alex87
Rookie

Argentina
Buenos Aires
Alex87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Rosenqvist is a great shout. He's going to be on the "Lost F1 talent" list I fear.
I agree
Old 7 Dec 2017, 18:05 (Ref:3785687)   #925
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams test a bunch of slow drivers then can't fathom out who to sign up!!