Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Jul 2018, 11:34 (Ref:3836468)   #51
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only drivers I would ever be critical of in BTCC (and I can't recall any) would be one that was always at the back of the field and got the drive purely on money given to them by parents.

Anyone who has the talent to be in the mix regardless of funding source or someone who's at the back and funded it all themselves either directly or by knocking on the door of multiple sponsors is someone to be admired in my book.
Old 13 Jul 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3836475)   #52
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The series has always enjoyed having gentleman drivers in it and some have been quite good, like Martin Johnson for example. Some spend most of their time at the back, but as long as they can keep it on the road and stay out of trouble, that’s ok.

That said, the quality of the grid this season and last, has been the best since the super touring days
Old 13 Jul 2018, 12:21 (Ref:3836478)   #53
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The series has always enjoyed having gentleman drivers in it and some have been quite good, like Martin Johnson for example. Some spend most of their time at the back, but as long as they can keep it on the road and stay out of trouble, that’s ok.

That said, the quality of the grid this season and last, has been the best since the super touring days
There's gentleman drivers and there's drivers who don't live up to expectations. I didn't mean to deliberately criticise or for anyone else to do likewise. This topic just happened to interest me.
Old 13 Jul 2018, 14:46 (Ref:3836492)   #54
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hollywood has the razzies and nobody moans that mediocre films get the "attention" they deserve so why not BTCC drivers too ?

my pick mediocre drivers, how about Fiona Leggate ? when Paul ONeil took over that Astra Coupe it was near the front, and when even Jason Hughes does better than her in the old MG that should tel you something

Last edited by porsche962fan; 13 Jul 2018 at 14:54.
Old 13 Jul 2018, 15:31 (Ref:3836494)   #55
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
farique hauriman in the proton in 2004 took some beating, well he didnt. Martin Johnson did well in the old astra coupe

you can add any driver john B&Q Batchelor ran, jay wheals, richard marsh

then again there was some really slow cars at times too
Old 13 Jul 2018, 15:32 (Ref:3836495)   #56
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Leggate best result: 10th
O'Neil best result: 8th
Old 13 Jul 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3836515)   #57
porsche962fan
Veteran

best result 9th at a time when the grid barely had over 10 cars to start with...

she did get a 5th at Silverstone 05 race 2 but that was a freak result at best
Old 13 Jul 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3836518)   #58
cxx666
Rookie

United Kingdom
Edinburgh
cxx666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by swooshiain View Post
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!
I didn't realise it was a resurrection at first when I clicked it. I thought it was a very odd discusson that was trying to compare drivers over 17 years and 4 different spec/regs haha
Old 13 Jul 2018, 19:10 (Ref:3836539)   #59
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Fiona was alright, just O’Neill was even better. I mean, it wasn’t just the Astra he dragged up to the front of the field, it was the Integra too
Old 13 Jul 2018, 20:19 (Ref:3836554)   #60
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think Fiona was alright, just O’Neill was even better.
Fiona was mediocre racer plain and simple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUmSxB-W9Kc

but avoiding being accused for misogyny , some men

how about MARK SMITH , he is know for proposing right on the BTCC grid
Old 13 Jul 2018, 20:59 (Ref:3836560)   #61
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Fiona was mediocre racer plain and simple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUmSxB-W9Kc

but avoiding being accused for misogyny , some men

how about MARK SMITH , he is know for proposing right on the BTCC grid

Uh, you try to prove your point, by posting a documentary of her first race meeting only, which was also the first for a bio ethanol car
Old 13 Jul 2018, 21:17 (Ref:3836563)   #62
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
farique hauriman in the proton in 2004 took some beating, well he didnt. Martin Johnson did well in the old astra coupe

you can add any driver john B&Q Batchelor ran, jay wheals, richard marsh

then again there was some really slow cars at times too
Andy Neate would have been pretty average on and off the track
Old 13 Jul 2018, 21:31 (Ref:3836564)   #63
S griffin
Veteran

Andy Neate could sometimes be up there like Oulton 2011, but he was way too flakey under pressure
Old 14 Jul 2018, 08:10 (Ref:3836613)   #64
porsche962fan
Veteran

Rick Kerry and Nick Leason ? or they get a pass due to the car ?
Old 14 Jul 2018, 11:54 (Ref:3836635)   #65
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hollywood has the razzies and nobody moans that mediocre films get the "attention" they deserve so why not BTCC drivers too ?
Because kicking people down to make yourself feel better is pathetic...
Old 14 Jul 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3836653)   #66
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Because kicking people down to make yourself feel better is pathetic...
actually Hollywood is a very smart thing to "reward" mediocrity , this way everyone gives their absolute best not to end up there, imagine if such "awards" would be for politicians and co
Old 14 Jul 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3836663)   #67
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hollywood ain't exactly the place I look for inspiration when it comes to moral examples And for politicians there are elections, those are pretty effective!
Old 14 Jul 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3836672)   #68
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Because the razzies are making fun of professional film production that didn't realise how bad it was.
Not the same as pointing the finger at a self-funding driver who has tried their best, but already knows how well (or bad) they did from the time sheets.

Is calling out an amateur sports competitor from behind a keyboard tantamount to bullying? I know in recent times that certain teams on the grid have taken criticism as a personal attack.
Old 14 Jul 2018, 17:12 (Ref:3836673)   #69
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
actually Hollywood is a very smart thing to "reward" mediocrity , this way everyone gives their absolute best not to end up there,
Do you think the current bottom five in any championship are not giving their best?

How does insulting a sporting competitor "reward" them? Sounds like something from the Steve Smith manual of sporting ethics!
Old 14 Jul 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3836682)   #70
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
actually Hollywood is a very smart thing to "reward" mediocrity , this way everyone gives their absolute best not to end up there, imagine if such "awards" would be for politicians and co
Are you seriously suggesting those on the grid are not giving their best?

Reminds me of people making fun of Eddie the Eagle.
Old 14 Jul 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3836691)   #71
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Rick Kerry and Nick Leason ? or they get a pass due to the car ?
that beemer diesel was a poorly developed dog, made the speedequipe lexus look good. can see why ngtc came in as s2000 was not working
Old 14 Jul 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3836694)   #72
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Are you seriously suggesting those on the grid are not giving their best?

Reminds me of people making fun of Eddie the Eagle.
often their best is just not enough

work in some corporate environment and you know even trying your best will get you kicked out in a split second, HR and managers don't give a dam about you really

Last edited by porsche962fan; 14 Jul 2018 at 19:47.
Old 14 Jul 2018, 19:47 (Ref:3836695)   #73
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lol, kinda assuming I don't work in a corporate environment, but whatever.

Yeah, someones best is often not good enough, but that's not what you suggested before - you suggested people give their best. Different things. But then again I don't think the idea of this thread is based on integrity
Old 14 Jul 2018, 21:08 (Ref:3836703)   #74
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
often their best is just not enough

work in some corporate environment and you know even trying your best will get you kicked out in a split second, HR and managers don't give a dam about you really
Again, you're comparing two unrelated concepts in a veiled abuse to btcc drivers. Enter the 'corporate world' (I'd love to know how you define that) and you accept that performance dictates reward. In that world, reward is a paycheck.

In BTCC, reward is results on track. When people don't perform well, they see that in their results, not their appraisal. To sit at the keyboard and insult their efforts suggests that you would rather they didn't enter. If we follow that train of thought, then we'd see a regular withdrawal of the backmarkers (because they're doing so bad) resulting in a downward spiral of grid numbers until the championship dies. If that's what you want from btcc - carry on slating drivers, I'm sure they appreciate your critique.
Old 15 Jul 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3836739)   #75
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm sure they appreciate your critique.
I am sure they have better things to do then read what various posters say on message boards including white knight wannabes

Last edited by porsche962fan; 15 Jul 2018 at 08:46.