Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Oct 2003, 03:29 (Ref:756520)   #26
Big Trev
Racer

Big Trev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon that Jeff Grech does nothing for Mark Skaifes reputation. I think it's guilty by association as far as Skaife is concerned. You hear people bag owner/managers like Perkin/Johnson/Rogers, but I reckon that Grech takes some beating, he would have to be the biggest whinger I have seen at motorsport.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 03:55 (Ref:756527)   #27
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Things like the reported slanging match with Murphy on Bathurst friday after Murphy did a better time Skaife called him a "wa..k.r" and to take his hand of of his "t..l" since then Skaife has had a spin doctor and he has been channel 10 wonder boy for the V8's all of the above does not help his cause.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 04:00 (Ref:756528)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How can anyone hate someone they dont know personally?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 Oct 2003, 04:10 (Ref:756530)   #29
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to pump into him 6-7 years ago when he was living in Mt Eliza....it was fine then still is as far as I am concerned.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 04:15 (Ref:756532)   #30
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Too many people see through the B******T to be fooled by the spin doctors.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 05:47 (Ref:756569)   #31
smack
Rookie

smack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GROUPA
I used to pump into him 6-7 years ago when he was living in Mt Eliza....it was fine then still is as far as I am concerned.
pump eh, pump what?
Old 20 Oct 2003, 06:05 (Ref:756578)   #32
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Nissan era stills sticks in some people's necks, how he arrived in the biggest and best-funded team with a car that he helped to develop into the definitive Group A touring car that wiped the floor for two years. Then onto Holden and he and the team did it again, competitive at once and taking r/up at bathurst '93 and another ATCC in '94. Back then, he had a big point to prove, peope saying he only won races 'cos he had the best car, ciggie money big team etc. Point proven, he has the goods and always did. If you doubt for a minute he has less than top order pace and technical understanding, what are you watching?

Times passes and still he's there and competitive, winning races and the series. I guess some people will never accept it like some people rather uncharitably criticise Dick Johnson getting a lifeline from the rock incident, and giving his career another boost.

In the racing world, those without the ability don't make it very far. That is objective and how a driver's personality affects your irritation factor is about as subjective and ultimately pointless as you can get.

I have never had seen or experienced anything negative about him and have always been impressed at his ability and his articulate presentation both for the sport and for the company he represents.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 07:28 (Ref:756615)   #33
Zinger
Racer

Zinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it hard to knock anyone that has been that sucsessful for that long. Both Skaife and Grech have formed a formidable partnership only knocked off by the board room politics that have slowed them up this year, although the championship is not over yet.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 08:35 (Ref:756665)   #34
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
How can anyone hate someone they dont know personally?
You know I often wonder the same thing :confused:
Old 20 Oct 2003, 08:55 (Ref:756680)   #35
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Met Skaifey once about 3 years ago, and he seemed like a pretty likeable guy. He was polite, happy to have a chat, and posed for photos etc...

Other times i've seen him painted as a bit arrogant but i can only say what i've experienced personally - and that's that he seems pretty cool...

I guess being talented AND having the best team sets you up to be shot down by the knockers - i wish i had that kind of problem...

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 20 Oct 2003, 08:57 (Ref:756681)   #36
Hobo high
Racer

Hobo high should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trouble with skaife , is you have facts about his personality and then you have the HSV sheep that swear he's a top bloke
Old 20 Oct 2003, 08:59 (Ref:756683)   #37
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
I know I have facts about his personality. A mate who went to Bathurst just sent me back a print with a KFC logo blended into it. I dared her to take him a bucket of chicken, but this was the closest she could think of.

He's signed it "You want fries with that Emma?"

What more can I say?
Old 20 Oct 2003, 09:09 (Ref:756691)   #38
dlschwerin
Rookie

dlschwerin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See that would have been funny, if KFC sold "fries"
Old 20 Oct 2003, 09:50 (Ref:756727)   #39
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems to me Skaife has become King Of The Kids.......what does this say about our younger generation?
Old 20 Oct 2003, 10:02 (Ref:756745)   #40
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Means the kids have been brain washed, they need a proper role model like Marcos Ambrose or Craig Lowndes.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 10:06 (Ref:756749)   #41
dlschwerin
Rookie

dlschwerin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um are you joking/being sarcastic ford boy???????
Old 20 Oct 2003, 10:10 (Ref:756755)   #42
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only joking dlschwerin.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 10:18 (Ref:756763)   #43
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant stand the bloke, his antics on V8 Superstars do Skaife no good, it was excellent the way Ross Stone put him in his place on one episode !!

I dont know the bloke personally and dont want to!!

With drivers like Craig Lowndes/Marcos Amborse/Glen Seton/Jimmy Richards/Brocky/John Bowe etc who who needs Skaifes arrogance.

Grech is another one and he makes Skaife look good, the stuff that gets through the scanners onto to TV broadcast at times over the years should never have occured.

You dont see Brocky ,a true champion,on and off the track carrying on like Skaife.

He must be doing Holden PR no good the way he comes across to the public.

Lowndes -the complete opposite a real asset to the sport- as good if not a better than Skaife in equal cars. This was well proven in the LAST to FIRST result at Adelaide a few years back.

Can Skaife change??? does a leopard change its spots.

Hopefully as he gets older he may mellow like Moffat.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 10:26 (Ref:756771)   #44
Hobo high
Racer

Hobo high should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Grimace
I cant stand the bloke, his antics on V8 Superstars do Skaife no good, it was excellent the way Ross Stone put him in his place on one episode !!

I dont know the bloke personally and dont want to!!

With drivers like Craig Lowndes/Marcos Amborse/Glen Seton/Jimmy Richards/Brocky/John Bowe etc who who needs Skaifes arrogance.

Grech is another one and he makes Skaife look good, the stuff that gets through the scanners onto to TV broadcast at times over the years should never have occured.

You dont see Brocky ,a true champion,on and off the track carrying on like Skaife.

He must be doing Holden PR no good the way he comes across to the public.

Lowndes -the complete opposite a real asset to the sport- as good if not a better than Skaife in equal cars. This was well proven in the LAST to FIRST result at Adelaide a few years back.

Can Skaife change??? does a leopard change its spots.

Hopefully as he gets older he may mellow like Moffat.
Good stuff , as for the KFC story ......... I watched skaife at bathrst being wisked away by wally weasel on saturday morning after brockies big breakfast - he was in a hurry and he was pinged off with people wanting stuff signed .The point is with BROCKY ,it would have been weasel that would have been pinged off with fans.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 11:08 (Ref:756812)   #45
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw Brocky stay & chat & sign autographs with his fans in the snow at Bathurst in '94 after a breakfast thingymajig in town on the Tuesday.Every other driver bar Tony Longhurst bolted at the first oppurtunity.It is acts such as this that see Brocky retain such a loyal following of fans.......current drivers should watch & learn.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 11:12 (Ref:756818)   #46
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by moffman
Saw Brocky stay & chat & sign autographs with his fans in the snow at Bathurst in '94 after a breakfast thingymajig in town on the Tuesday.Every other driver bar Tony Longhurst bolted at the first oppurtunity.It is acts such as this that see Brocky retain such a loyal following of fans.......current drivers should watch & learn.
Well said Moffan
Old 20 Oct 2003, 11:12 (Ref:756819)   #47
V8 Superdave
Racer

V8 Superdave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My personal perspective is that i have great respect for Skaife's abilities as a driver, but (having never met him personally), ONLY have what's seen/reported on TV to use as the basis for an opinion.

Now having said that, i'm not able to control what's shown, so i'm kinda at the mercy of the director anjd what he wants to show me.

I've seen Mark say & do some things which have not been the most positive, and it seems that a lot of people agree. I wouldn't necessarily call him arrogant, but he does have strong beliefs in his own (considerable) abilities, which some percieve as arrogance. He's also quick to use sarcasm which, personally i don't mind, but to SOME it can seem he's belittling those to whom he's replying. Then there are the times when he's just plain gone ahead and taken the nasty dig.

Now, i'm NOT stupid enough to think that this is the man's only public face, it's just that i've not had the chance to experience it. I'd never doubt anyone who's said it exists, in fact i'm sure it does, but the fact remains that i only know Mark "by remote" so to speak.

For now, based on what's been shown to me, i'm not sure he's someone i'd pick as a friend (hell, he probably wouldn't pick me, but that's not the issue,is it?), and that's the test for me. If i saw him as a potential friend, i'd be more disposed to "letting thingd slide" sometimes, but for my money, there have been too many occasions in the past where i couldn't do that.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 11:42 (Ref:756855)   #48
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, 2 pages and nobody has said "Boofhead".
Old 20 Oct 2003, 11:55 (Ref:756869)   #49
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobo high
Trouble with skaife , is you have facts about his personality and then you have the HSV sheep that swear he's a top bloke
I notice you wrote that straight after my post - was that aimed at me by any chance ??

If so let me assure you that i am by no means a "HSV" fan, i simply gave my opinion on what i thought of the guy having met him just once.
So blow me assclown...

Of course, if it wasn't aimed me disregard the rest...

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 20 Oct 2003, 13:53 (Ref:757009)   #50
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Quote:
Originally posted by moffman
It seems to me Skaife has become King Of The Kids.......what does this say about our younger generation?
How old do you honestly think I am?