Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 May 2000, 23:25 (Ref:1853)   #1
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

jvilleneuve2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can you fast forward F1 races?????????
They are certainly not boring, they might not be alot of overtaking but it is still the best motorsport in the world.
I leave the national racing to the weekends inbetween Grand Prix.
Old 1 Jun 2000, 09:50 (Ref:1851)   #2
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

Does anyone one know when we are going to get Bernies Digital F1 coverage in this country?
The ITV program is good but the pictures that they get are getting worse, this wouldnt bother me as long as the option was there to pay for better coverage. Most of the countries in Europe already have it.
Looks like I will have to watch Friday Practice and Warm up on German TV for along time yet.
Old 1 Jun 2000, 09:58 (Ref:1852)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm afraid it's going to be a while before Bernie gets my money.

More often than not now, I let the video machine watch the GP for me, and I'll take myself to Silverstone, Brands, Snetterton, Donington... anywhere, in fact, where I have a chance of seeing real cars doing real racing and real passing of a Sunday afternoon.

If it means having to fast-forward through the adverts, so be it, and if the race gets (whisper it) a little bit dull, then I don't have to go looking for a nice driver's eye view shot, I just zip through to the next interesting bit.

This is my little protest to Bernie, aimed precisely at the first place he'll check. His wallet.
Old 1 Jun 2000, 12:52 (Ref:1854)   #4
Jo
Rookie

Jo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It's not the same on tape anyway, the deed has already been done. The conclusion has already been drawn. The whole thrill of the unexpected just isn't there. How can you will somebody on if it all happened six hours ago?

OK, nowadays there isn't the on track overtaking up at the front of the grid. If there was the option to follow particular drivers, as you get with football (although obviously they're footballers not drivers) you could jump around to more interesting battles further down the pack, where the real racing happens, rather that just watching solitary McLarens and Ferraris cruising around the circuit.

Saying that, F1 is a team sport, as much about the engineering behind the cars as anything else. The competition to build the best machine has to be fought with tactics and teamwork and only then can teams expect to attract the best drivers.
Old 1 Jun 2000, 19:24 (Ref:1855)   #5
renniesmill
Rookie

renniesmill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so, do we have Bernies Digital F1 coverage in UK?
Old 1 Jun 2000, 21:06 (Ref:1856)   #6
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

Of course we dont, didnt you read the anything that is above!!!!!
I would deffinetly pay the £170 subscription if it meant getting the practice sessions. i am getting annoyed at that German commentator, it would help if I could speak German!
Old 1 Jun 2000, 23:30 (Ref:1857)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well then learn to speak German. It's not that hard if you speak English, they are from the same root languages.

In North America we have no digital racing and probably never will have any. I will just have to go to the races in person and otherwise use my imagination. There is a race there somewhere. Usually we get to hear about it.
Old 1 Jun 2000, 23:42 (Ref:1858)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"if the race gets (whisper it) a little bit dull, then I don't have to go looking for a nice driver's eye view shot, I just zip through to the next interesting bit."
-That is the only way to watch it!!

"They are certainly not boring, they might not be alot of overtaking but it is still the best motorsport in the world."
-Maybe in the flesh. But the normal RACE fan likes to watch a RACE where there are on track battles etc..and you have to go to National meetings these days to get them...
Old 1 Jun 2000, 23:48 (Ref:1859)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm just wondering how much a set of Linguaphone tapes costs.

Seriously, I have enjoyed German broadcasts of the DTM and STW, as well as some German and Austrian national series with the German satellite channels, with not a hint of an English commentary.

After a little while, you do get the gist of what's going on.

Aber doch, von funf Jahre, mein Deutsch ist sehr schrecklich.
Old 2 Jun 2000, 02:28 (Ref:1860)   #10
renniesmill
Rookie

jvilleneuve2000:

yes i did read them, i was just confused whether everyone are from UK or german or wherever, since i have no idea how do some of you get to see the german broadcast in UK...
Old 2 Jun 2000, 07:59 (Ref:1861)   #11
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

I watch the it on the old analogue SKY.
Old 2 Jun 2000, 08:00 (Ref:1862)   #12
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am in the fortunate position of being half English and half German. My parents got satellite TV specifically for the purpose of picking up German TV (most of which is dire - especially regional stuff). It means that anything broadcast on their national channels (inc DTM and some F1) I can see (or I can if I pop over there for a visit or ask them nicely to record it). Eventually I'll get satellite or digital for myself, although probably not until I move house to somewhere where the reception is better!

[This message has been edited by Maisie (edited 02 June 2000).]
Old 2 Jun 2000, 08:03 (Ref:1863)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi Renniesmill,

Two words - Astra satellite.

Ever since I had a Sky dish bolted to the wall, I was delighted to find that I could pick up DSF, ZDF, 3sat, SAT1 and others, which meant a fascinating selection of German race series. Some of the German F3 is eye-popping good, with larger fields than British F3, and some great dices on airfield circuits, with real slipstreaming.

Infuriatingly, since I signed up to Sky Digital this spring, I find that the bandwidth is too small for me to pick up both the Sky and the European channels on one antenna.

On a technical note, if anyone can recommend a good custom satellite dealer in the North London/Herts area who can fix me a dual LNB and input, I shall be eternally grateful.
Old 2 Jun 2000, 09:28 (Ref:1864)   #14
renniesmill
Rookie

I see! thanks alot for clearing my mist!

looks like i have to wait until i have my own flat/house to put the dish on!

cant wait until saturday...
Old 2 Jun 2000, 09:30 (Ref:1865)   #15
Ed-f1
Racer

Ed-f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which channel is the German coverage of practice and warm up on?
Old 2 Jun 2000, 13:41 (Ref:1866)   #16
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

Friday Practice is on DSF, they show the second session live and then the highlights of 1+2 on a friday night.
Warm up is on RTL Live, which is usually about 8:00.
Old 3 Jun 2000, 01:47 (Ref:1867)   #17
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Neil, I used to have a 1m dish and twin LNB/selector switch for the old Astra 19deg.
Then I went to Digital, thinking I could put the Digital on one LNB and keep the old analogue on the other. My supplier said it could not be done. Not believing him for a minute, I got in contact with an old friend of mine who installs this stuff for a living.

Truth is.. It can't You'd have to have two dishes; the smaller sky digital dish, and a regular round 0.8 - 1m dish for the analogue. My district doesn't allow consent for multiple reception equipment, so that was that!

Hope this helps!!

I MISS DSF!!!
Old 3 Jun 2000, 01:47 (Ref:1868)   #18
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Ooops!

[This message has been edited by Sparky (edited 03 June 2000).]
Old 3 Jun 2000, 02:29 (Ref:1869)   #19
IAM
Rookie

IAM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I live in the States, I heard that last year a deal had been made for England to receive Bernies DTV. I thought it was with Rupert Murdoc, who I beleive owns SKY.

My understanding was the UK was going to have it for the start of the 2001 season.

I was told by Speedvision a couple of years ago; that if we(the USA) were going to get the "Bernie Vision" it would not come via Speedvison but probably from FoxSports as it is owned by Rupert as well. They went on to tell me that if he didn't get for England first then the States would probably not get it for years.

Ian