Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 16 Jun 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3829997)   #5776
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
"They wanted the new rules to be DPi". Of course they do...because they already have the cars. When the PC teams were asked what they wanted, they all wanted to keep the PCs. Doesn't make it the right call - just suits the teams.

Not sure why they are "surprised" they were "ignored". I absolutely love IMSA, but the ACO have to build what they feel is right for their customers, not anyone elses. That's like PWC including IMSA teams in a discussion on the future, and then "ignoring" them when they all say "We'd love to bring our GTLM cars to the series!".

Love MP (and IMSA), but he does seem to beat the "IMSA is always the way" drum. Even managed to somehow claim GTLM And GTD were full IMSA products just because they gave them their own technical passes.

I'm perfectly fine with a different set of rules for LMP1 and DPi if that's how it goes. IMSA has been absolutely awesome the last year or so, and LMP1 is looking good too. Without unified rules, things are just fine.
I agree on MP, he's an IMSA and INDY guy. Those are usually presented in a good light compared to other series. If IMSA wants to stick with badge job lmp2's that's on them, but don't expect to get guys like Aston Martin, McLaren etc. running your top class with a DPi when they want the new 'GTP'.
Old 16 Jun 2018, 22:46 (Ref:3830613)   #5777
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been away for awhile.

So aco wants to do the Corvette DP thing, what about P2? IMSA DPi class is based the p2 cars so what about them?
Old 16 Jun 2018, 23:04 (Ref:3830633)   #5778
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Been away for awhile.

So aco wants to do the Corvette DP thing, what about P2? IMSA DPi class is based the p2 cars so what about them?
Nothing said about LMP2, but the current cars are only on year 2 of a 4 year cycle, so they're fine for a wee while.
Old 16 Jun 2018, 23:40 (Ref:3830685)   #5779
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe hardcore factories teams should use the hybrid/hypercar concept and privateers teams use the traditional lmp1 looking cars? What do you think?
Old 16 Jun 2018, 23:55 (Ref:3830698)   #5780
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Maybe hardcore factories teams should use the hybrid/hypercar concept and privateers teams use the traditional lmp1 looking cars? What do you think?
Oreca and Kolles have both said they like the ability to produce a car that looks like road car. But I wouldn't be surprised if current privateer cars are grandfathered for a year.

We have seen the speed of the current P2's be quite fast at Le mans. I hope the new gen P1 cars will be significantly faster than those P2's.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 09:54 (Ref:3831039)   #5781
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm just wondering if the ACO are ****ing on the privateers again? They've just invested a lot of money into new machinery and now all those cars will become obsolete only after a year or two. And they are expected to invest into hybrids which are likely to be more expensive than the cars they have now?

I guess they just don't care about the privateers. They didn't care when Audi and Porsche were still racing. They had to give the little guys some incentive so that it would seem that Toyota are racing someone and the top class wouldn't be so embarrassing.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3831046)   #5782
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regarding privateers, I'm agreeing with Hindy. They're saying they want the cars for Le Mans 2020. So that means they have to be ready for the end of summer 2019. That's not happening. The rules are only being submitted to the WMSC in October 2018 at best (but will probably slip to December 2018).

They're basically worried that there will be no Toyota next year and they'll lose even more income, so rushing it through. But that might just have to be the hit they take. I'm presuming the LMP1s will be grandfathered in for a couple of years as well, like we've seen before.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 11:57 (Ref:3831137)   #5783
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Regarding privateers, I'm agreeing with Hindy. They're saying they want the cars for Le Mans 2020. So that means they have to be ready for the end of summer 2019. That's not happening. The rules are only being submitted to the WMSC in October 2018 at best (but will probably slip to December 2018).

They're basically worried that there will be no Toyota next year and they'll lose even more income, so rushing it through. But that might just have to be the hit they take. I'm presuming the LMP1s will be grandfathered in for a couple of years as well, like we've seen before.
I was wondering if it is a crossed message somewhere, and the new regs are supposed to start in the 2020-2021 season. That seems like a more reasonable lead time for developing an entirely new concept.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 13:31 (Ref:3831281)   #5784
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I was wondering if it is a crossed message somewhere, and the new regs are supposed to start in the 2020-2021 season. That seems like a more reasonable lead time for developing an entirely new concept.
That was my original thought as well. Still a questionable ROI for privateers though — only two seasons (though three Le Mans). with the current generation of cars.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3831383)   #5785
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
I bet they grandfather the private lmp1s. If not then I think we'll see customer cars since providing the hybrid is a mandatory thing for manufacturers.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 05:03 (Ref:3831790)   #5786
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
“Wider Panel” of Manufacturers Targeted for Hypercar Regs

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/w...hypercar-regs/

Quote:
However, the regulations have also been aimed for existing prototype constructors, such as ORECA, Dallara and Onroak Automotive for privateer car sales, as well as specialized boutique manufacturers.

“Dallara could make a deal with a company like Koenigsegg or Bugatti and make a car,” ACO sporting director Vincent Beaumesnil said.

Beaumesnil said each car will have a “free” design, which will not be confined to a particular road car, therefore allowing a wide range of concepts.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 06:02 (Ref:3831794)   #5787
TF110
Veteran

United States
At least we can have some unique looking vehicles. I hope things open up a little bit from what is currently proposed, but it does seem like the cars will be attractive or at least distinctive.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3831889)   #5788
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's clear that the elephant in the room and the most important thing to discuss is the common top category between IMSA and FIA WEC. What are the plans to address that?

As it stands, 25-30 million for these prototypes is an absolute no for most of the current DPI manufacturers. If ACO don't reduce by another 10 million, these classes will not be common and a lot of manufacturer interest will go away.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 15:56 (Ref:3831900)   #5789
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
It's clear that the elephant in the room and the most important thing to discuss is the common top category between IMSA and FIA WEC. What are the plans to address that?

As it stands, 25-30 million for these prototypes is an absolute no for most of the current DPI manufacturers. If ACO don't reduce by another 10 million, these classes will not be common and a lot of manufacturer interest will go away.
You presume that there's some sort of requirement for the ACO/WEC and IMSA to share the same top prototype class. It's pretty clear that neither organization believes that — if the two sides come to a common definition great, if not, they'll do what they think is in their best interest. And at this point, it looks like they're going their separate ways.

There are a couple of other really important points though:

• How does going to a hypercar look impact GTE-Pro (and IMSA GTLM)? Are manufacturers really going to spend significant amounts of money running in both the LMP1-replacement hypercar and GTE? (Aston Martin and Ferrari I’m looking at you.)

• How do privateers fit into the hypercar LMP1 replacement?

• What about LMP2? Does it also become hypercar-like? If so, how does that impact GTE? What about the impact on IMSA? The next generation of LMP2 cars is still a few years off, but if I were running a GTE program (or considering starting one), I really would want to know how many GT-like prototype classes would be ahead of me on the grid at Le Mans…
Old 19 Jun 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3831926)   #5790
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
You presume that there's some sort of requirement for the ACO/WEC and IMSA to share the same top prototype class. It's pretty clear that neither organization believes that — if the two sides come to a common definition great, if not, they'll do what they think is in their best interest. And at this point, it looks like they're going their separate ways.

I didn't say the classes would be common or that I was required. I said manufacturer interest is in a common class which currently will not happen because the ACO class cost 25-30 million. So what is the ACO thinking to address this? Their category will be bigger if they can make common with IMSA. Brands like Mclaren, Ford will enter in 2021 guaranteed if their is a common top class. Until

IMSA have nothing to lose by doing nothing. Their category is much cheaper to run. ACO on the other hand could gain manufacturer entries.