Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 25 Aug 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2945900)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Danica to NASCAR full time

She will be driving for JR Motorsports.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110825/NEWS/110825015/Danica-Patrick-m-driving-full-time-NASCAR-2012?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com
Old 25 Aug 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2945907)   #2
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
What is the appeal of IndyCar drivers moving over to Nascar? Besides to make more money (I assume that happens), what is the draw? Isn't IndyCar a more truer form of racing, and isn't that what you'd want as a driver, if it wasn't about the money?
Old 25 Aug 2011, 20:56 (Ref:2945917)   #3
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
What is the appeal of IndyCar drivers moving over to Nascar? Besides to make more money (I assume that happens), what is the draw? Isn't IndyCar a more truer form of racing, and isn't that what you'd want as a driver, if it wasn't about the money?
I think in her case she's in a rut and AOWR is struggling badly.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2945949)   #4
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
NASCAR is the pinnacle of American motorsport. The biggest challenge, the most talented drivers, the largest following...

It's hard for a lot of motor racing "purists" to accept, and while I love both NASCAR and...well I loved CART, so I guess I love what open-wheel could or should be...there is no prestige in today's IndyCar Series and the depth of the field is just not comparable to the amount of talent that has chosen NASCAR.

Danica's way happier in her interviews on a NASCAR weekend than an Indy one, too, so I think the racing's a lot of fun for her, and the paddock's a lot less...tense. NASCAR's found a way to make every single race their Indy 500. They're all just so massive, and all have the big event feel Americans crave. Any race win is an important one. It's a full slate of huge races, there's a lot of money in it, a lot more technology than one would think...and yet it still has roots in down-home stock car racing at local bullring tracks, and still has plenty of people who grew up there. In a way, with the spectacle of it all combined with the fan-friendliness and accessibility, NASCAR's found a way to be something like a cross of F1 and BTCC in terms of a weekend experience...

It may be an odd form of racing to take 3600-lb bricks out on speedways, but it's a damn fine one, and I think drivers are starting to recognize that. Yeah, money plays a role, there's no denying that, but Danica's still a racer and all the drivers like to be able to overtake, have a chance to win on any given weekend, not be subject to Indy's bull**** rulings, and feel like they're part of something huge and important every weekend, not just one race per season.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2945952)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So it's official...yippie.

We'll have great NW race thread and 8-10 cup round thread starters to look forward to in this sub-forum come 2012.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I agree with bj on DP's departure for NASCAR, but the overall reason(s) for drivers coming to NASCAR, IMHO, is because they can run in a race or three in the same place just about every weekend of the racing "season" and be a part of perhaps the only US racing series(') on solid ground right now.

And as stated already, to earn more money, not that DP needs it with her endorsements out her...
Old 25 Aug 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2945954)   #6
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
NASCAR is the pinnacle of American motorsport. The biggest challenge, the most talented drivers, the largest following...

It's hard for a lot of motor racing "purists" to accept, and while I love both NASCAR and...well I loved CART, so I guess I love what open-wheel could or should be...there is no prestige in today's IndyCar Series and the depth of the field is just not comparable to the amount of talent that has chosen NASCAR.

Danica's way happier in her interviews on a NASCAR weekend than an Indy one, too, so I think the racing's a lot of fun for her, and the paddock's a lot less...tense. NASCAR's found a way to make every single race their Indy 500. They're all just so massive, and all have the big event feel Americans crave. Any race win is an important one. It's a full slate of huge races, there's a lot of money in it, a lot more technology than one would think...and yet it still has roots in down-home stock car racing at local bullring tracks, and still has plenty of people who grew up there. In a way, with the spectacle of it all combined with the fan-friendliness and accessibility, NASCAR's found a way to be something like a cross of F1 and BTCC in terms of a weekend experience...

It may be an odd form of racing to take 3600-lb bricks out on speedways, but it's a damn fine one, and I think drivers are starting to recognize that. Yeah, money plays a role, there's no denying that, but Danica's still a racer and all the drivers like to be able to overtake, have a chance to win on any given weekend, not be subject to Indy's bull**** rulings, and feel like they're part of something huge and important every weekend, not just one race per season.
I think that's an excellent post for why anyone should take an interest in NASCAR, fan or driver! IndyCar falls far short of the atmosphere and everything that NASCAR delivers.

NASCAR despite what people think and people say manages to do everything well - it has the racing, the spectacle, the talent, the audience...the list goes on. Stock-car racing as a whole is badly under-rated here in Europe (it's just "racing in circles", well isn't all racing? ) - people here should stand up and take note. Rant over.

Anyway, to make this post vaguely relevant to the topic at-hand, all the luck to Danica. Some people don't like her, but women entering the sport keeps media interest and attention on NASCAR high, and she has done well in IRL races.

Last edited by dyewat808; 25 Aug 2011 at 22:06.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2945960)   #7
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
NASCAR does tend to be under rated by some - and those that don't rate it just haven't looked closely enough in my view.

Good luck to her - she'd have to feel more comfortable in a series that only does a couple of road courses, she seems much more comfortable on ovals.

Funny that the article refers to her as an Indycar "star" but then the hype has always been there hasn't it?
Old 25 Aug 2011, 22:38 (Ref:2945977)   #8
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
NASCAR does tend to be under rated by some - and those that don't rate it just haven't looked closely enough in my view.

Good luck to her - she'd have to feel more comfortable in a series that only does a couple of road courses, she seems much more comfortable on ovals.

Funny that the article refers to her as an Indycar "star" but then the hype has always been there hasn't it?
She does have that win at Motegi and the only woman to win in a major open wheel series, so I suppose the hype will follow her around.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 22:38 (Ref:2945978)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Most drivers in a rut change teams, engineers... not entire series!!

I somehow dont think she is a threat to Mr Earnhardt Jr as most popular driver on the NASCAR tour....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Aug 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2945980)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
It cant be that hard... an Aussie won in it

Good luck to Ms Patrick.. here's hoping you can achieve what you, and your sponsor, wants to achieve in the sport... it will be a 5 year deal until the GoDaddy.com car, in whichever class, will be at the front, bothering the brand name drivers for wins
Old 25 Aug 2011, 22:48 (Ref:2945985)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Most drivers in a rut change teams, engineers... not entire series!!

I somehow dont think she is a threat to Mr Earnhardt Jr as most popular driver on the NASCAR tour....
Too true but the way IndyCar is going I can see why she is leaving.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 22:52 (Ref:2945987)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Wall Street is Watching with Interest

Lets see...
Old 25 Aug 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2945995)   #13
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I wouldn't call it the pinnacle form of racing in America at all; I'm a hard-ass towards Nascar, a racing purest, but what you said makes sense from your point of view, and I totally believe she's enjoying it more than her experience in Indycar. I don't bother watching Indycar, and with all the issues it has now, it'll probably be a while before I start watching it again. Also, the allure of being able to race almost every weekend in Nascar, versus every couple of weeks in Indycar, would be mighty tempting as well, even for me.

I grew up watching Nascar; it was the first form of motorsports I got into. Dale Jarret and Kyle Petty were my favorite drivers. But when I saw a "LeMans & Sportscar Racer" magazine on a Barnes and Noble shelf in 2000, with a BMW LMP on the cover, everything changed. We finally got satellite in our house, and both F1, LeMans, DTM, and ALMS were opened up to me, and I haven't looked back since. I don't think I've watched a full Nascar race since 2000; I've caught bits and pieces of various races since, but not a full one. The appeal of cars in giant packs, constantly turning just left, just does not appeal to me anymore. I'm a die-hard GT and Formula 1 fan, and that's what I tend to follow most now.

Sorry for rambling off-topic a bit; back to Danica.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2946000)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
...there is no prestige in today's IndyCar Series and the depth of the field is just not comparable to the amount of talent that has chosen NASCAR.
I just read your post again and this bit really stood out. IndyCar reminds me of F5000 in Europe, in the 70s, with most teams just scraping by, with pay to drive drivers and a couple of teams dominating. Track facilities rather lack lustre and rather low attendance figures; basically a very amateurish setup.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2946011)   #15
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry for rambling off-topic a bit; back to Danica.
no no please keep going, that post is more entertaining than the telecasts will be in NW from now on. She will get at least 50% of the coverage, goodbye sponsorship $$ to every other non-Roush/Hendrick/RCR backed team as the sponsors won't get a bit of airtime unless they crash, or they are lapping DP's immaculately turned out car struggling around
Old 26 Aug 2011, 00:16 (Ref:2946018)   #16
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
no no please keep going, that post is more entertaining than the telecasts will be in NW from now on. She will get at least 50% of the coverage, goodbye sponsorship $$ to every other non-Roush/Hendrick/RCR backed team as the sponsors won't get a bit of airtime unless they crash, or they are lapping DP's immaculately turned out car struggling around
Sponsors pay for their guaranteed airtime. It's nothing new.

The Nationwide drivers and teams are largely glad to see Danica in the sport. If it gets more people watching and more coverage, it's more coverage for their sponsors, even if Danica is getting a lot more TV time than they are. Leffler said as much today, and he's not alone.

Besides, as I'm sure you know, there's a lot more to sponsorship than put logo on car, get on TV, people buy product, repeat.

It isn't going to run any teams out of sponsorship or out of the sport.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 00:20 (Ref:2946019)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
It isn't going to run any teams out of sponsorship or out of the sport.
It's just the sort of publicity the sport needs.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 00:59 (Ref:2946031)   #18
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
NASCAR's found a way to make every single race their Indy 500.
That is the how they have been successful throughout the years; every stop on the calender is a huge "event", as you say, with the fan fare, local media circuses and the works rolled out every where they go. Besides, it is still a "Cup" win, and not an Cart/Champcar/USAC/IndyCar/IRL/Open Wheel win (did I leave any out). Even though Cup/Grand National are different terms, they mean the same thing. It virtually the same series, run by the same people since 1949. What other major series can say that right now? Granted NASCAR's theories and rules are a bit archaic but...

Quote:
I grew up watching Nascar; it was the first form of motorsports I got into. Dale Jarret and Kyle Petty were my favorite drivers. But when I saw a "LeMans & Sportscar Racer" magazine on a Barnes and Noble shelf in 2000, with a BMW LMP on the cover, everything changed. We finally got satellite in our house, and both F1, LeMans, DTM, and ALMS were opened up to me, and I haven't looked back since. I don't think I've watched a full Nascar race since 2000; I've caught bits and pieces of various races since, but not a full one. The appeal of cars in giant packs, constantly turning just left, just does not appeal to me anymore. I'm a die-hard GT and Formula 1 fan, and that's what I tend to follow most now.
This is a very familiar story and it happened the same year for me, but I was at PLM in 2000 and got to see the BMW LMP and my favorite LMP EVER in the Panoz in person, plus the Cadi LMPs, R8s etc etc etc etc. Too bad we had to see the LMP BMW go by on a flat bed after it's backflip; didn't know what had happen til afterwards.

The LMP cars were about the coolest things I had ever seen. Then sprinkle in Vettes, Saleen S7s, Vipers, M3s and 911s and I was instantly hooked to sportscars. F1 is great, but nothing beats big time sports for me, now. And I never liked Kyle Petty, either; I liked some awesome guy from Dawsonville.

ALL forms of racing have a place with me, and I have wandered away from NASCAR a wee bit even though I find my knowledge of it is much more proficient than with any other series. I tend to only watch the road courses and Indy for the American OW series.

In the end, DP will bring a boost to NASCAR, not that it needed it.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 01:06 (Ref:2946034)   #19
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
no no please keep going, that post is more entertaining than the telecasts will be in NW from now on. She will get at least 50% of the coverage...
If she's in the top 10, it will be more in the neighborhood of 75-90 %...
Old 26 Aug 2011, 05:04 (Ref:2946108)   #20
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heck yeah, no more Danica in IndyCar wooohooooo
Old 26 Aug 2011, 13:32 (Ref:2946334)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
Heck yeah, no more Danica in IndyCar wooohooooo
I don't think this is going to help the IICS one bit and will take some fans away from a sport that's sadly lacking in TV viewers and track attendance.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 13:52 (Ref:2946342)   #22
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
I don't think this is going to help the IICS one bit and will take some fans away from a sport that's sadly lacking in TV viewers and track attendance.
You make valid points my friend, but the real fans (such as ourselves) are happy. But yeah this will kill IndyCar even more unfortunatly. Just goes to show you can't base a series around one race. F1 does a great job at that along with a host of other series worldwide.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 14:04 (Ref:2946348)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
You make valid points my friend, but the real fans (such as ourselves) are happy. But yeah this will kill IndyCar even more unfortunatly. Just goes to show you can't base a series around one race. F1 does a great job at that along with a host of other series worldwide.
I'm no real fan of IndyCar but I watch it as I like the variety of race tracks and I live in hope that one day AOWR will return to what it was in the early to mid '90s, the blue print is there. As you say you can't base a series around one race.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2946367)   #24
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
I'm no real fan of IndyCar but I watch it as I like the variety of race tracks and I live in hope that one day AOWR will return to what it was in the early to mid '90s, the blue print is there. As you say you can't base a series around one race.
Ah I see, i'd call myself hardcore

And yeah the early 90's were the best time for IndyCar, Mansell, Emmo and a host of other talent batteling it out in atrractive elegant race cars.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2946382)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Ah I see, i'd call myself hardcore

And yeah the early 90's were the best time for IndyCar, Mansell, Emmo and a host of other talent batteling it out in atrractive elegant race cars.
There was some fantastic racing then and with the emergence of Reynard and the race at Surfers it just upped a level.

There you are Ropin' Randy, take a look at IndyCar in the early-mid 90s, apply it now and you're on to a winner.