Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Nov 2021, 16:42 (Ref:4082802)   #5276
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The Imps certainly were a sign of their time, pity they died out. Certainly they seemed to be better on the inside than the outside. Where did it all go wrong for Hillman? Were they just not able to compete with the other, more popular car makes or something?
Old 11 Nov 2021, 18:34 (Ref:4082840)   #5277
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The Imps certainly were a sign of their time, pity they died out. Certainly they seemed to be better on the inside than the outside. Where did it all go wrong for Hillman? Were they just not able to compete with the other, more popular car makes or something?

For the Imp - numerous reasons: Rootes were late in the game so the Mini already had a good foothold. The Government prevailed upon Rootes to "level-up" by building the Imp in a new factory in Linwood near Glasgow, with an untrained and fairly rebellious workforce. The launch was rushed a bit so that the cars were launched before all the niggles were sorted - and probably more importantly, before the dealerships were fully trained in how to deal with the "exotic" materials used such as aluminium, which required maintenance using torque wrenches rather than brute force and lump hammers. By the time the Mk 2 was produced, which addrssed a number of the early issues, with modified front suspension camber, bigger clutch, improvements to the water pump, a more conventional throttle linkage, rather than the pneumatic one it was launched with, and a number of other small mods, it was effectively too late, as everyone "knew" they were flawed. You still hear the old chestnuts - "always blow headgaskets", "you have to have a paving slab / bag of cement" etc mentioned whenever anyone sees one.

I bought a 5-year-old one as my first "own" car in 69, and it was fine - until I wrote it off due to youthful exuberance (!). Had a few others after that over the years, and even brought one back from New York in 92 when I was theoretically over there buying an Alfa spider....though I did buy two of them, as well. Pictured is my last one.....

Also co-drove in several Imps rallying on the stages with a fair bit of success.....
Attached Thumbnails
Clean yellow Imp.jpg  
Old 12 Nov 2021, 15:48 (Ref:4083040)   #5278
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's Friday, so;
Attached Thumbnails
AA  (1).jpg   AA  (2).jpg   AA  (3).jpg  

AA  (4).jpg   AA  (5).jpg   AA  (6).jpg  

Old 12 Nov 2021, 15:51 (Ref:4083041)   #5279
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Saturday tomorrow;
Attached Thumbnails
Aad (1).JPG   Aad (2).JPG   Aad (3).jpg  

Aad (4).jpg   Aad (5).jpg   Aad (6).jpg  

Old 12 Nov 2021, 16:00 (Ref:4083044)   #5280
bauble
Veteran

England
Saturday tomorrow;
Attached Thumbnails
Agt (1).jpg   Agt (2).jpg   Agt (3).jpg  

Agt (4).jpg   Agt (5).jpg   Agt.JPG  

Old 13 Nov 2021, 19:34 (Ref:4083286)   #5281
bauble
Veteran

England
Hello all;
Attached Thumbnails
Ab (2).JPG   Ab (1).jpg   Ab (3).JPG  

Ab (4).JPG   Ab (5).jpg   Ab (6).jpg  

Old 13 Nov 2021, 19:36 (Ref:4083288)   #5282
bauble
Veteran

England
Another random selection;
Attached Thumbnails
Cc (6).JPG   IMG_2157.jpg   IMG_2788.jpg  

IMG_4448.JPG   IMG_4508.JPG   IMG_5100.JPG  

Old 13 Nov 2021, 19:38 (Ref:4083289)   #5283
bauble
Veteran

England
It's pain, I know, but they are in he folder, and everything must go;
Attached Thumbnails
Aac (1).JPG   Aac (2).jpg   Aac (3).JPG  

Aac (4).JPG   Aac (5).JPG   Aac.jpg  

Old 13 Nov 2021, 19:44 (Ref:4083290)   #5284
bauble
Veteran

England
An extra set to compensate;
Attached Thumbnails
SC (2).JPG   IMG_9876.JPG   IMG_9915.JPG  

No 1.jpg   No 2.JPG   IMG_2903.jpg  

Old 13 Nov 2021, 19:50 (Ref:4083291)   #5285
bauble
Veteran

England
Oops! A couple of repeats in the last lot, so a few Alfas as an apology;
Attached Thumbnails
alfa 3.jpg   alfa 7.JPG   alfa 9.JPG  

alfa 8.JPG   alfa 11.JPG   alfa.JPG  

Old 14 Nov 2021, 17:29 (Ref:4083410)   #5286
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I was thinking, that delightful as I find the Imp pix, there was a certain repetition creeping in.......but happy to forget that to see some Alfas, particularly the last Alfetta shot which I don't recollect seeing before
Old 14 Nov 2021, 18:27 (Ref:4083436)   #5287
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I was thinking, that delightful as I find the Imp pix, there was a certain repetition creeping in.......but happy to forget that to see some Alfas, particularly the last Alfetta shot which I don't recollect seeing before
I would hope you have not seen any of my photos before.
Old 14 Nov 2021, 18:41 (Ref:4083445)   #5288
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Alfa Challenge, supporting Britcar 6(?) hour race 2007;
Attached Thumbnails
001.JPG   006 (1).JPG   011.JPG  

019.JPG   020.JPG   017.JPG  

Old 15 Nov 2021, 15:17 (Ref:4083618)   #5289
bauble
Veteran

England
More assorted images;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5111.JPG   IMG_5413.JPG   IMG_7136.JPG  

IMG_8461.JPG   IMG_8473.JPG   IMG_8512.JPG  

Old 15 Nov 2021, 15:21 (Ref:4083619)   #5290
bauble
Veteran

England
No theme;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8642.JPG   IMG_8693.JPG   IMG_8738.JPG  

SC (3).JPG   010.JPG   Revival 2007 c 063.JPG  

Old 15 Nov 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4083622)   #5291
bauble
Veteran

England
A little different;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2583.JPG   IMG_2585.JPG   IMG_2652.jpg  

IMG_6283.JPG   Revival Friday 001 (272).jpg   Troy Balylis.jpg  

Old 15 Nov 2021, 19:11 (Ref:4083658)   #5292
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I would hope you have not seen any of my photos before.

I meant I hadn't seen the car before (to my recollection). The others I have seen in the metal or in other photos, I think. Several of the cars in your last selection are still in active use - I saw the 116 series Giulietta at Oulton the other week, although he had issues in qualy and didn't make the race.....
Old 15 Nov 2021, 20:04 (Ref:4083665)   #5293
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I meant I hadn't seen the car before (to my recollection). The others I have seen in the metal or in other photos, I think. Several of the cars in your last selection are still in active use - I saw the 116 series Giulietta at Oulton the other week, although he had issues in qualy and didn't make the race.....
And there's me thinking you had hacked my Google site

Did you notice the drivers name on the rear window?

???? anyone we know.
Old 15 Nov 2021, 20:23 (Ref:4083670)   #5294
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
I suppose the Alfetta should have been Vauxhall engines with a driver named that...

The Giulietta is conducted by Andy Page, these days....
Old 16 Nov 2021, 02:53 (Ref:4083701)   #5295
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In #5291 I see a couple of Aussies creeping in (pics 3&6).... Troy Bayliss and Troy Corser.
The Bayliss name has been back in the news over here and Troy's son Oli is making quite a name for himself in Aussie Superbikes.

In#5289, I love the (what I imagine to be) the Lister Jag GT Prototype(?) ..
Old 16 Nov 2021, 10:38 (Ref:4083737)   #5296
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
In #5291 I see a couple of Aussies creeping in (pics 3&6)....

In#5289, I love the (what I imagine to be) the Lister Jag GT Prototype(?) ..
Correct Chris, The Lister jaguar Coupe is regularly seen in the hands of Fred Wakeman & Patrick Blakeney Edwards in historic meetings over here.
Old 16 Nov 2021, 11:02 (Ref:4083742)   #5297
bauble
Veteran

England
The latest wreck has fooled some, but GCC got it right.
Old 16 Nov 2021, 13:32 (Ref:4083760)   #5298
bauble
Veteran

England
Today's offerings;
Attached Thumbnails
Revival Friday 001 (11).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (21).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (22).jpg  

Revival Friday 001 (27).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (66).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (38).jpg  

Old 16 Nov 2021, 13:34 (Ref:4083762)   #5299
bauble
Veteran

England
Not my favourite cars at all;
Attached Thumbnails
Revival Friday 001 (88).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (95).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (99).jpg  

Revival Friday 001 (100).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (104).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (102).jpg  

Old 16 Nov 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4083763)   #5300
bauble
Veteran

England
But these are;
Attached Thumbnails
Revival Friday 001 (136).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (139).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (188).jpg  

Revival Friday 001 (213).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (236).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (238).jpg