Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 29 Jun 2021, 13:01 (Ref:4058831)   #76
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
So it doesn't qualify as an FIA world championship - presumably they get a pass due to Covid?
I think all FIA WCs got a pass because of Covid: last year and this year.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 17:32 (Ref:4058883)   #77
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Timerzyanov with GRX Hyundai in Barcelona. So far no other rounds.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 08:10 (Ref:4058983)   #78
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
I think all FIA WCs got a pass because of Covid: last year and this year.
Yep, definitely last year they granted it as I think only WRC looked like it might actually manage to get the 3 continents thing in due to having already done Mexico. This year presumably the same because everything has been in limbo during the organisation phase.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 11:16 (Ref:4059008)   #79
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entry list of 17 names for Catalunya...although only 7 are full time by my count

https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/a..._GHus-Ecvh6lCI
Old 30 Jun 2021, 11:56 (Ref:4059014)   #80
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly not a record breaking Supercar entry but, in the current climate, I don't think it is terrible. Can see enough cars there to give us decent racing for final positions.

Decent numbers for RX3 as well.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 17:27 (Ref:4059061)   #81
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Munnich Motorsport will not do all rounds?
Old 30 Jun 2021, 18:44 (Ref:4059075)   #82
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloody awful if you ask me, a series barely hanging onto its status. Loads of very average pay drivers and al sorts of people missing who should be there.

I will watch it if it is fee on social media, otherwise would give it a miss, and I would not atend any rounds as it will be massively overpriced wherever it is as it is dying.
Old 4 Jul 2021, 21:18 (Ref:4059847)   #83
hoffman66
Racer

As expected looks like WRX will be behuind a paywall in a lot of places. If you thought the end was nigh, this may well be the end.

NEVER WATCHING IT AGAIN
Old 5 Jul 2021, 07:27 (Ref:4059889)   #84
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
As expected looks like WRX will be behuind a paywall in a lot of places. If you thought the end was nigh, this may well be the end.
Where have you seen that? I'll make an effort to steal it but the championship isn't strong enough to be worth spending money to watch footage imo, unless it's a very low paywall
Old 5 Jul 2021, 14:41 (Ref:4059962)   #85
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s hardly been advertised from what I’ve seen. So no surprise I’ve even noticed the series this year sadly
Old 6 Jul 2021, 19:54 (Ref:4060209)   #86
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's 29 euros for the season. What's that, £3 per event? Better than it being on BT or Sky and having to fork out loads for that (though Obvs you get other sports for that money). Given how hard it will be to get to events, I might be tempted to sign up.
Old 7 Jul 2021, 08:11 (Ref:4060253)   #87
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nope. I know it's only £29 this season, but they're making it clear it'll probably be at least £50 next year and IMO it's not a strong enough championship to warrant that, especially as there are 5 rounds I can't watch live anyway.

Also, anyone know if Andrew Coley will still be commentating? He's been announced for Nitro RX and doesn't seem to be retweeting the World RX stuff quite as much so got me wondering.
Old 7 Jul 2021, 10:28 (Ref:4060271)   #88
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Nope. I know it's only £29 this season, but they're making it clear it'll probably be at least £50 next year and IMO it's not a strong enough championship to warrant that, especially as there are 5 rounds I can't watch live anyway.

Also, anyone know if Andrew Coley will still be commentating? He's been announced for Nitro RX and doesn't seem to be retweeting the World RX stuff quite as much so got me wondering.
Coley is out.
Old 7 Jul 2021, 11:25 (Ref:4060280)   #89
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Who replaces him? Hard to imagine anyone bringing the same energy. I know he misses things at times but I think it makes a big difference if you can tell that a commentator properly loves the sport rather than just talks about it for money (if that makes sense)
Old 7 Jul 2021, 13:17 (Ref:4060291)   #90
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ah, that answers that question
https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/w...ar-presenting/

Martin Haven, Ben Constanduros, Hal Ridge, Molly Petit, Nick Fellows and Neil Cole. All experienced, all knowledgeable. Could've been a lot worse but I'm not convinced that Martin, Ben and Nick bring more to the table than Coley and Dan. I've always been a big fan of the energy that Andrew brings to the role and felt he was ideally suited to the sport.

As for Nick Fellows, he irritates the crap out of me in the ski racing.
Old 7 Jul 2021, 17:32 (Ref:4060314)   #91
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given the silence from the Championship on the subject, I was expecting a complete set of fresh faces, so I am pleased to see the return of a couple of names; Hal is obviously very knowledgeable and I thought Molly was decent during the RallyX Nordic coverage.

Martin Haven is the only one of the new names I know (and I think he is good), so I shall reserve judgment on the rest of them until I have seen them in action...

...obviously disappointed that Andrew Coley isn't back, especially when they have retained Neil Cole. Always found him to be a thoroughly underwhelming presenter and surprised to see him kept.
Old 7 Jul 2021, 18:07 (Ref:4060317)   #92
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasnt a fan of Andrew Coley at first mainly because he seemed to forget that rallycross actually existed before 2014. Anyway he grew on me and with Dan Rooke became a more than decent commentator.
Martin Haven i have always found to be very opinionated and good at finding drama and controversy where there isnt any.
As for it being behind a paywall how is that going to encourage people new to RX to watch? Despite IMGs best efforts its still a sport with a small following and this new lot are doing nothing to change that except possibly losing old fans.
Old 8 Jul 2021, 08:04 (Ref:4060370)   #93
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
I wasnt a fan of Andrew Coley at first mainly because he seemed to forget that rallycross actually existed before 2014. Anyway he grew on me and with Dan Rooke became a more than decent commentator.
Yeah, I wasn't sure at the start. Balanced out with a more technically-minded presenter I think he works well though. He also seems genuinely passionate about the sport, which helped win me over.

Quote:
Martin Haven i have always found to be very opinionated and good at finding drama and controversy where there isnt any.
That's not so good if that is the case. I know him from WTCC and some other stuff, prefer to have a more objective commentator than someone bringing unnecessary drama in.

Quote:
As for it being behind a paywall how is that going to encourage people new to RX to watch? Despite IMGs best efforts its still a sport with a small following and this new lot are doing nothing to change that except possibly losing old fans.
I assume there is still going to be free coverage available (in the same vein as the WRC). The free live coverage was obviously a big draw, so I wonder how it will change the "mainstream" following of the sport.
Old 8 Jul 2021, 08:35 (Ref:4060376)   #94
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I assume there is still going to be free coverage available (in the same vein as the WRC). The free live coverage was obviously a big draw, so I wonder how it will change the "mainstream" following of the sport.
Part of me wonders if it's going to be on Eurosport, given the involvement of Haven, Constanduros, Fellows and Cole. I've got a subscription but hopefully it has a TV deal elsewhere on something FTV.
Old 15 Jul 2021, 11:12 (Ref:4061071)   #95
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Possibly not the place for it, but kind of relevant. Liam Doran and Robin Larsson are doing NRX as RX Cartel. EKS/JCRaceteknik are tagged in the instagram posts so I assume back with the Audi?
Old 15 Jul 2021, 13:17 (Ref:4061087)   #96
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Possibly not the place for it, but kind of relevant. Liam Doran and Robin Larsson are doing NRX as RX Cartel. EKS/JCRaceteknik are tagged in the instagram posts so I assume back with the Audi?
Yeah. Curious to know what cars they will be using; Johan and Ide will be in two of the 2018+ cars in World RX so, with one sold to Volland, that leaves one 2018+ car "spare".

Will they rent the Volland car back so they have two 2018+ cars to run in the US, or will they use older cars (possibly from Cometoyou as they did in the US before?).
Old 26 Jul 2021, 09:09 (Ref:4063187)   #97
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
So first round of 2021 in the history books, what did we all think? (Assuming anyone else here watched it! )

For the most part I thought the coverage was pretty decent. Solid camera work and presentation (aside from the absence of tyre allocation graphics, hope they bring that back), weakest points had to be the feed dropping out for the first World semi and some inconsistencies from the commentary team(s). I hope that becomes less of an issue as the new (to rallycross) commentators learn the sport and drivers.

I didn't get to watch all of the Friday races, but didn't see Neil Cole in any of the coverage I watched so that was an added bonus.

Disappointed for Johan. That win should have been his and, although the rules were clearly broken, shame to see him put on the back foot through no fault of his own... that aside he looks to have some good speed in the Audi already. Gutted for Gronholm as well, was looking forward to seeing him in the final, definitely not the start to the Championship he wanted. Good showing from Abbring, despite (predictiably) a plethora of car issues.

Not to sure on the noise, but some good action from RX2e.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 10:00 (Ref:4063199)   #98
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
I watched the Finals show on redbull.tv (because I it's free and I refuse to pay). Though Hal was good, not convinced that Martin is suited to RX but obviously doing more events will help with that. Although as he has history commentating on it I thought it might not have been noticeable. I will require some serious convincing that Nick Fellows is anything other than dogs**t when he gets on the mic.

Funnily enough I was speaking to a mate yesterday who doesn't really watch motorsport but who I went to Riga RX with a few years back as part of a lad's holiday. He's been watching quite a bit since and when I mentioned that it was behind a paywall and a new commentary team really couldn't understand why or how it's sustainable.

Looks like we should get some good battles at the front, I still get really annoyed by the defensive driving of Kevin when he does things like parking it on the apex. I get that it's tactical racing but it's boring to watch and wouldn't be my choice. Also don't particularly like seeing some of the have a go heroes who wouldn't normally make the semis/finals effectively putting championship contenders out of the running.
Old 27 Jul 2021, 06:36 (Ref:4063340)   #99
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't have Rx+ so only watched highlights and the Red Bull TV coverage. I hope this remains for every round, or was it just because of the stream dying?. They are really trying to prevent anyone actually working out what happens during the weekend unless they get a subscription which is just so dumb. "Highlights" on social media showed less than a quarter of all the races which I'm sure sponsors are really happy about. Anyone who didn't make the semis got no coverage what so ever and only the quickest bunch got a reasonable amount of focus.

I was pleasantly surprised by the coverage I did see, they've really refreshed everything. The commentary team was lacking a bit but should get good with experience.

On track it was some good action, shame only like half of them are full season entrants. I just hope Johan can have someone challenge him. Kevin's defence was questionable but I'd rather allow it than penalise every slightly aggressive defence. If it all goes right for once I could easily see Abbring with a couple of podiums.

I think RX2e is noisy enough. At least you can hear the speed (looking at you Fiat 500e)
Old 5 Aug 2021, 18:10 (Ref:4065522)   #100
hoffman66
Racer

Behind a paywall, I will not watch it again, simple as that. So couldn't really give a damn.