Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Jun 2021, 10:03 (Ref:4056965)   #151
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ITV4 & ITV4 HD Highlights programme (90 minutes):
Snetterton: Saturday 19th June – 11.30AM and Sunday 20th June – 07.05AM

ITV and ITV HD Highlights programme (90 minutes):
Snetterton: Wednesday 23rd June – 23.45PM (ITV only) and Thursday 24th June – 23.55PM (STV only)
Old 18 Jun 2021, 10:12 (Ref:4056966)   #152
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
The adjustments to equalise FWD vs RWD is to give them strength and weaknesses. If you removed all the 'restrictions' for the RWD cars (CoG adjustment, gear ratios, boost restriction and ballast) then the top 5 cars would always be RW, it would become a 2 tier championship.

Sorry, but that is not true. They took away the RWDs start advantage by putting in the longer first gear, ignoring the fact that RWD cars take longer to warm up their tyres. And I seriously doubt you would ever see the top 5 cars being RWD. It’s never been even close to actually happening, so this so called ‘RWD advantage’ is a myth
Old 18 Jun 2021, 11:27 (Ref:4056978)   #153
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Sorry, but that is not true. They took away the RWDs start advantage by putting in the longer first gear, ignoring the fact that RWD cars take longer to warm up their tyres. And I seriously doubt you would ever see the top 5 cars being RWD. It’s never been even close to actually happening, so this so called ‘RWD advantage’ is a myth
I thought that the RWD cars are boost limited up to (something like) 60 MPH in a bid to negate their traction advantage from a standing start?
Old 18 Jun 2021, 12:18 (Ref:4056981)   #154
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I thought that the RWD cars are boost limited up to (something like) 60 MPH in a bid to negate their traction advantage from a standing start?
TOCA supremo Alan Gow explained: "In 2015 we introduced a means of reducing the discrepancy between FWD and RWD starts, given that RWD cars are inherently faster off the line than FWD.

"This involved all RWD cars using a different first gear and reduced power of approximately 6.5% from 0-78mph during the start phase.

"Calculations based on data from the first four events this season [2020] has proven that this should be revised.

"From Thruxton this weekend [Sep 2020] there is no change to the first-gear ratio, but a further reduction of 5% [so now 11.5% reduction] of the power available up to 78mph during the race-start phase.

"For clarity this reduction is only during the 0-78mph start sequence, after which there is no other change to the engine power levels at any time during the race regardless of the car speed.

"The methodology, calculations and validation were carried out by TOCA's independent engine consultant Clive Dopson and Cosworth Electronics."

And then in October 2020:

"last month's tweak, brought in for the Thruxton round and carried forward to Silverstone, under which the rear-wheel-drive BMWs and Infinitis had their boost restricted by 11.5% up to 125km/h [78mph] away from the startline.

This was almost double the previous figure of 6.5% up to 125km/h.

Now TOCA has decided to keep the figure at 11.5%, but has lowered the speed to 110km/h [68mph], after complaints from rear-wheel-drive teams that it was slowing their cars down too much in the second phase of starts."
Old 18 Jun 2021, 13:36 (Ref:4056992)   #155
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post

Yes, that’s actually what happened last year, but either way I think it was wrong for them to fix what wasn’t broke
Old 20 Jun 2021, 09:45 (Ref:4057294)   #156
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Talking of clean racing - I'm tracking one strike received over the weekend given to Parfitt, with the awarding of two penalty points.

Does anyone know of any other strikes?
No, he was the only driver to receive a strike.
Old 20 Jun 2021, 11:03 (Ref:4057301)   #157
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
No, he was the only driver to receive a strike.
Thanks.
Old 20 Jun 2021, 11:48 (Ref:4057310)   #158
3marinadrive
Rookie

3marinadrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Jake Hill one of the few drivers who stands up to Sutton
Well spotted...bit like Croft last year. These two will have some epic battles this year...the new Plato v Neal (except they actually get on!)
Old 20 Jun 2021, 14:23 (Ref:4057371)   #159
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slummingangel View Post
Liking the addition in car and rear view features in the Race positions HUD. The HUD needs to show a bit more of the positions of the cars not it the Top 20 though, it only showed it once or twice in the opening laps and not for the rest of the race
I totally agree on both points. The extra car views are great. I often wonder what's going on further back in the races and at least seeing the positions would help a lot.
Old 20 Jun 2021, 15:07 (Ref:4057397)   #160
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was an enjoyable race weekend. I didn't realise there were no safety cars. That's probably partly why I enjoyed it so much!

A good win for Ingram and a strong start to the season for him. More than any other driver in recent years he keeps coming frustratingly within a hair's breadth of his first championship win. I hope he gets one and soon. He seems a likable guy as well. His positivity that's been pointed out before is quite inspiring.

JP knows all about coming within hair's breadths of championship wins as well. I hope this bad weekend was a temporary anomaly after such a promising comeback at Thruxton. I did notice he's changed his Twitter bio to just say "above average driver in the BTCC." - nothing wrong with a bit of self-deprecation but I hope he's not feeling despondent.

As I said before, I'd love to see Ash take his third title this year (if he sticks with the BTCC and a good team, I could see him eventually getting 5 titles or possibly even more, such is the level of his talent). It's certainly not a foregone conclusion as I feel Turks' position will strengthen as the year continues and if Shedden shakes off the Jelley-esque bad luck he could probably be a contender too. When he said after the third race that he didn't want to risk the position by being more aggressive against Sutton I have to wonder what exactly that would've involved and how it would've played out.

Last edited by hen henths; 20 Jun 2021 at 15:19.
Old 20 Jun 2021, 21:18 (Ref:4057508)   #161
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still miss the scary tree.
Old 21 Jun 2021, 13:34 (Ref:4057612)   #162
ScottS
Rookie

ScottS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pitch BTCC episode from Snetterton on YouTube. https://youtu.be/YD4tT-2KmmA
Old 25 Jun 2021, 22:54 (Ref:4058212)   #163
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
The nominations for Manufacturers/Constructors were Turkington/Morgan (BMW), Butcher/Smelt (Toyota) and Hill/Jackson (Motorbase). Will they continue through the season?
Old 26 Jun 2021, 14:42 (Ref:4058302)   #164
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dynamics 1-2 something from back in the old days
Old 26 Jun 2021, 14:57 (Ref:4058308)   #165
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Dynamics 1-2 something from back in the old days
At Brands Hatch, not Snetterton.