Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 27 Apr 2021, 17:08 (Ref:4048130)   #5476
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
A bit of a suprised. Would nice to see a young driver alongside Pagenaud, Newgarden and McLaughlin.

In IndyCar there are a lot of long-time drivers for the same team:
- Scott Dixon at Ganassi since 2002!
- Will Power at Penske since 2009
- Ryan Hunter-Reay at Andretti since 2010
- Graham Rahal at Rahal Letterman Lanigan since 2013

In Formula you only have Hamilton at Mercedes (since 2013) and Verstappen (since 2016) with long stints. Leclerc has a Ferrari contract until 2024.

It's not unusual in IndyCar for a driver to stay with a team for a long period. Rick Mears drove for Penske from 1978-1992. Gordon Johncock, though he moved around a bit in the early years of his career, raced for Patrick Racing from 1973-1984, with whom he won the Indy 500 twice. Hélio Castroneves drove for Penske from 2000 until 2019 in both CART and the IRL. Little Al did two stints, first with Galles Racing, from 1983 - '93 and then with TeamPenske from1994 - 1999. Al Unser Sr, raced with Vel's Parnelli Jones racing from1969 - 1977 and Michael Andretti raced with Newman-Hass from 1989- 2000.
Old 27 Apr 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4048150)   #5477
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It's not unusual in IndyCar for a driver to stay with a team for a long period. Rick Mears drove for Penske from 1978-1992. Gordon Johncock, though he moved around a bit in the early years of his career, raced for Patrick Racing from 1973-1984, with whom he won the Indy 500 twice. Hélio Castroneves drove for Penske from 2000 until 2019 in both CART and the IRL. Little Al did two stints, first with Galles Racing, from 1983 - '93 and then with TeamPenske from1994 - 1999. Al Unser Sr, raced with Vel's Parnelli Jones racing from1969 - 1977 and Michael Andretti raced with Newman-Hass from 1989- 2000.
A wonderful list Mssr bjs.

I'm so ashamed though, as you forgot the man that stuck with one team for 28 years..... vvv

vvv

vvv

vvv.........

.......one A.J. Foyt. ('65-'92 for A.J. Foyt Enterprises)

jimclark
Old 27 Apr 2021, 19:47 (Ref:4048158)   #5478
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
A wonderful list Mssr bjs.

I'm so ashamed though, as you forgot the man that stuck with one team for 28 years..... vvv

vvv

vvv

vvv.........

.......one A.J. Foyt. ('65-'92 for A.J. Foyt Enterprises)

I didn't want to labour the point but indeed, the legendary A.J. Foyt. Though he did form a longtime partnership with businessman Jim Gilmore, racing under the name Gilmore Racing from 1973-1984.
Old 27 Apr 2021, 20:19 (Ref:4048162)   #5479
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I didn't want to labour the point but indeed, the legendary A.J. Foyt. Though he did form a longtime partnership with businessman Jim Gilmore, racing under the name Gilmore Racing from 1973-1984.
Yup. Also not meaning to be "too picky", The partnership was still Foyt's team. It was out of Foyt's shop (along with other endeavours like sprint cars, NASCAR and, at least one 962....or was that out of Henn's?)
There was a trivia book a friend had about 30 years ago that asked "What was AJ Foyt's 1977 500 winning car?"
It's answer was "The Sheraton-Thompson Special."
He wouldn't believe what I was telling him....."It's right there in black and white."
I had to zip home to grab one of my racing books to prove to him that the car was, in reality, a Coyote, not a "Sheraton-Thompson Special" He finally was convinced that that was just part of the sponsorship deal.
Finish Start Driver....Car # .... Sponsor/Name Chassis Engine Laps Status Points
1 .........4....A. J. Foyt 14 Sheraton-Thompson Coyote Ford 200 3:18:24.22 151.207 1,000

jimclark
Old 27 Apr 2021, 20:56 (Ref:4048166)   #5480
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Yup. Also not meaning to be "too picky", The partnership was still Foyt's team. It was out of Foyt's shop (along with other endeavours like sprint cars, NASCAR and, at least one 962....or was that out of Henn's?)

Yes, that's what I would expect and he also drove the car. I presume a lot of the funding came from Gilmore, hence his name on the side of the car?

Quote:
There was a trivia book a friend had about 30 years ago that asked "What was AJ Foyt's 1977 500 winning car?"

It's answer was "The Sheraton-Thompson Special."
He wouldn't believe what I was telling him....."It's right there in black and white."
I had to zip home to grab one of my racing books to prove to him that the car was, in reality, a Coyote, not a "Sheraton-Thompson Special" He finally was convinced that that was just part of the sponsorship deal.
Finish Start Driver....Car # .... Sponsor/Name Chassis Engine Laps Status Points
1 .........4....A. J. Foyt 14 Sheraton-Thompson Coyote Ford 200 3:18:24.22 151.207 1,000

That's an interesting answer in the trivia book, about the 1977 500 winning car being ''The Sheraton-Thompson Special'', I always thought it was a Coyote? The Wikipedia entry, not that they always get it right, lists the car entry on the grid, as the Gilmore Racing Special and the car as a Coyote-Foyt V8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_I...polis_500#Grid
Old 28 Apr 2021, 01:34 (Ref:4048184)   #5481
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Yes, that's what I would expect and he also drove the car. I presume a lot of the funding came from Gilmore, hence his name on the side of the car?

That's an interesting answer in the trivia book, about the 1977 500 winning car being ''The Sheraton-Thompson Special'', I always thought it was a Coyote?
You're correct. (That's what I originally posted.........

"I'm so ashamed though, as you forgot the man that stuck with one team for 28 years..... .......one A.J. Foyt. ('65-'92 for A.J. Foyt Enterprises) "

and.....

"I had to zip home to grab one of my racing books to prove to him that the car was, in reality, a Coyote, not a "Sheraton-Thompson Special". He finally was convinced that that was just part of the sponsorship deal.
Finish Start ..Driver....Car # .... Sponsor/Name ......Chassis Engine Laps. Status .................. Points
1 .........4....A. J. Foyt .. 14 ... Sheraton-Thompson Coyote . Ford . 200 . 3:18:24.22 151.207 1,000"

My friend made a copy of my proof and stuck it in his book at that page.....

jimclark
Old 28 Apr 2021, 08:33 (Ref:4048209)   #5482
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Interesting look back. Interesting AJ stayed with that team for so long, but then he was doing it all himself, so why not? I'm always fascinated by these old Indy races, especially with names like AJ. There are plenty of good books out there no doubt
Old 28 Apr 2021, 14:42 (Ref:4048289)   #5483
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Interesting look back. Interesting AJ stayed with that team for so long, but then he was doing it all himself, so why not? I'm always fascinated by these old Indy races, especially with names like AJ. There are plenty of good books out there no doubt
If you didn't qualify your statement I was going to ask, why wouldn't he stay with his own team? 'Wouldn't say much to potential sponsors if you didn't believe in yourself.

Regarding the books.....absolutely. When I was knee high to a grasshopper, I'd even find fictional books about the 500, so BIG it was at the time......

'Sure 't'ain't what it used to be these days....barely enuff entries to fill the field.
And the spec/kit cars....ooohhhh the stinkin' Dallaras.......
....I "jones" for the diversity and innovation of yore....the number of entries.....
http://www.champcarstats.com/races/196703.htm
http://www.champcarstats.com/tracks/indianapolis.htm

At least I caught the tail end of the good times ('59 or '60 on up). Back in the '60s and '70s, living in NY, I'd subscribe to the Indianapolis Star (newspaper; Sports section had pages each day of activity and latest news) for the month of may to keep up with the daily action. 'Soon as I got home from school I'd hit the mail box....

jimclark
Old 4 May 2021, 21:34 (Ref:4049726)   #5484
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Guess he's really not running the 500 guys. Jimmie has signed to be in the second booth for the 500. The Peacock Pit box with Tirico (poor bstrd), Danica (why?) and a Hendrick Motorsport guy (why, that's Nascar thanks but go away)

https://racer.com/2021/05/04/nbc-spo...atrick-tirico/
Old 5 May 2021, 00:07 (Ref:4049739)   #5485
jimclark
Veteran

United States
No guess about it. Ever since his announcing trying Indy cars, he stated no ovals. As ever tho'.....things can change. Just not this year per Jimmie (I'll try to find that).....
I've got a feeling he's not, even next year (second and last of the contract).

jimclark
Old 12 May 2021, 18:54 (Ref:4051299)   #5486
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
New Sponsor Alert:

BITCOIN!

https://racer.com/2021/05/12/bitcoin...ycar-with-ecr/

It is nice to see new sponsors in the sport, shows that there is at least some interest from the outside world.
Old 12 May 2021, 22:27 (Ref:4051344)   #5487
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
New Sponsor Alert:

BITCOIN!

It is nice to see new sponsors in the sport, shows that there is at least some interest from the outside world.
Fits perfectly with the volatile nature of F1.
Old 12 May 2021, 22:32 (Ref:4051347)   #5488
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cody Ware may have finally run out of money or Coyne decided to grow a spine and reject a check from a massively unqualified driver.

https://racer.com/2021/05/12/35-car-...try-announced/

35 entries for Indy
Old 12 May 2021, 22:41 (Ref:4051351)   #5489
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
New Sponsor Alert:

BITCOIN!

Yeah, except Bitcoin isn’t sponsoring anything. It couldn’t anyway.
Old 12 May 2021, 23:06 (Ref:4051357)   #5490
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
New Sponsor Alert:

BITCOIN!

Ed isn't putting it on the car from Bitcoin but rather from you and I. The car is crowdfunded through Strike and maybe Ed makes some more money on his Bitcoin investment.

Yeah, sure dude: "“Ed’s message is simple; he doesn’t want to race for potato chips or soft drinks at the Indy 500,” said Jack Mallers, founder of Strike. “This year, Ed is racing for human freedom, financial literacy, financial inclusivity, and is using the platform he’s earned throughout his career to promote the most powerful message possible in pushing humanity forward. We’re tremendously proud to support his efforts."
Old 13 May 2021, 15:03 (Ref:4051486)   #5491
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Did Cody Ware pass the rookie tests?
Old 13 May 2021, 15:18 (Ref:4051488)   #5492
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Did Cody Ware pass the rookie tests?

In the Racer article, it doesn't say whether he did or not but with a best lap of 214.876 mph on his 49th and final lap of the ROP I doubt it.

https://racer.com/2021/04/08/bourdai...ession-at-ims/
Old 13 May 2021, 19:09 (Ref:4051529)   #5493
jimclark
Veteran

United States
"Phase 1 requires a driver to complete 10 laps at speeds between 205-210 mph. Phase 2 requires a driver to complete 15 more laps at speeds between 210-215 mph. The final stage, Phase 3, requires a driver to complete 15 laps at speeds over 215 mph."

jimclark
Old 14 May 2021, 14:13 (Ref:4051664)   #5494
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Toronto cancelled due to Covid-19 restrictions.

https://racer.com/2021/05/14/indycar...race-for-2021/
Old 21 May 2021, 17:20 (Ref:4052563)   #5495
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
NTT signs multi-year extension to IndyCar contract.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...tract/6512114/
Old 24 May 2021, 05:00 (Ref:4053033)   #5496
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP André Ribeiro

Sad to hear about his death from cancer at 55 years of age. I think of him as #3 of Steve Horne's Brazilian driver "discoveries", behind Helio and Kanaan. After 3 wins with Horne's Tasman team, he did one season with Penske in the under-performing PC-27 Mercedes (teammate Al Unser Jr. managed two podiums but no wins), but only managed three top ten finishes in the PC-27. He retired at the end of the 1998 season at the age of 32.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C...(racing_driver)

Old 25 May 2021, 11:27 (Ref:4053302)   #5497
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Horrible news about Andre.

A short career and never a championship challenger. But his infrequent few wins and other runs at the front were appreciated by me. I enjoyed his/Tasman motorsports presence and underdogs.
Old 2 Jun 2021, 20:28 (Ref:4054384)   #5498
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Ross Brawn says F1 is open to avoiding a clash between the Monaco Grand Prix and Indianapolis 500 in future.

https://racer.com/2021/06/02/f1-open...s-can-compete/
Old 2 Jun 2021, 20:33 (Ref:4054385)   #5499
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
So if my math is correct, the Spanish GP would be held on Indianapolis GP weekend, and the Canadian GP on the Detroit GP weekend.
Old 3 Jun 2021, 11:41 (Ref:4054429)   #5500
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I think he was specifically referring to just the 500/Monaco conflict, other races not so much. But it sounds like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. No one in F1 has any oval experience now outside of Alonso, Kimi if you include all vehicles, nor has anyone expressed real interest. Vague comments about after F1 and trying it is not a commitment to making the race happen.