Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 May 2023, 07:52 (Ref:4154126)   #201
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I

Your point about fine tuning is an interesting one - does having less track time benefit the smaller teams and give them a chance to show their strategic prowess and catch the bigger teams out, who have less time to relentlessly perfect their operation, or does it actually benefit the bigger teams and prevent the smaller ones from having more chance to close up?
It is an interesting question, the big guys seem to be the ones who bleat the most. Whether that is just because they get more airtime i am not sure.
Old 2 May 2023, 08:27 (Ref:4154131)   #202
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
The less practice running the better I think, stops them fine tuning to the minute detail.

You don't think that the data sent to the factories and the simulator time there are too significant?I have a feeling that the first few laps on the racing line are gathering a lot of information for use back at base and it may be a case of which team has the greater simulation capacity there.Which probably favours the bigger outfits anyway.
Old 2 May 2023, 10:02 (Ref:4154153)   #203
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
You don't think that the data sent to the factories and the simulator time there are too significant?I have a feeling that the first few laps on the racing line are gathering a lot of information for use back at base and it may be a case of which team has the greater simulation capacity there.Which probably favours the bigger outfits anyway.
Now you are talking, get rid of the telemetry.

I would be happy with the extra practice if the factories and the back of the garages were shut out
Old 2 May 2023, 12:41 (Ref:4154165)   #204
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
In these days of colossal amounts of data and virtual running, I do feel that it's a pity that teams don't get to run the actual car more in a way. I also reckon there are more virtuous routes to mixing up the competition than limiting track time.

Your point about fine tuning is an interesting one - does having less track time benefit the smaller teams and give them a chance to show their strategic prowess and catch the bigger teams out, who have less time to relentlessly perfect their operation, or does it actually benefit the bigger teams and prevent the smaller ones from having more chance to close up?
At new tracks maybe, but as with the limited running in NASCAR, the teams with the best book on the track will be in front still

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Now you are talking, get rid of the telemetry.

I would be happy with the extra practice if the factories and the back of the garages were shut out
Exactly, let the data flow out but nothing in return. Let the driver bring in the feedback instead of 15000 sensors and dudes back at base.

Last edited by broadrun96; 2 May 2023 at 12:51.
Old 3 May 2023, 15:53 (Ref:4154346)   #205
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Exactly, let the data flow out but nothing in return. Let the driver bring in the feedback instead of 15000 sensors and dudes back at base.
Without telemetry those 15,000 sensors would notify the drivers instead of the teams.
Old 5 May 2023, 12:03 (Ref:4154593)   #206
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for completely missing the point
Old 11 May 2023, 16:01 (Ref:4155573)   #207
v8supes
Veteran

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems De Vries is almost certain to lose his seat at Alphatauri within a few GPs if things dont improve according to rumours today. To be replaced by Ricciardo.
Old 13 May 2023, 06:23 (Ref:4155796)   #208
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
Seems De Vries is almost certain to lose his seat at Alphatauri within a few GPs if things dont improve according to rumours today. To be replaced by Ricciardo.

Yes, he's been fitted for a seat, but that may simply be for a comparison test.
Unfortunately, there isn't enough opportunity to openly test any more, which I feel is a negative in the sport, but we'll see in due course.
I think De Vries has at least until mid-season break to pull it together, and possibly longer.
The most comforting thing for his fans is that even if Herta had got the seat the results may not have been a whole lot better, if at all.
So far this season at Andretti Autosport, Grojean has completely eclipsed him.
Old 13 May 2023, 07:51 (Ref:4155804)   #209
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
De Vries has really been a disappointment considering his record in other categories and his debut at Monza last year. He's struggling to beat Tsunoda. Has he made a mistake going with the Red Bull family? He needs to get his act together soon. We know how ruthless Red Bull can be with drivers. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Ricciardo back
Old 13 May 2023, 09:39 (Ref:4155821)   #210
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I think De Vries has at least until mid-season break to pull it together, and possibly longer.
I wouldn't be so sure, and I heard Lawson possibly being lined up to swap with him.
Old 13 May 2023, 21:42 (Ref:4155911)   #211
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Yes, he's been fitted for a seat, but that may simply be for a comparison test.
Dan Ric is reserve driver for both RBR & AT, so needs the sit fitting down for that role - seems like (so far at least) the rumours / supposition are based on adding 2+2 and getting 67.
Old 14 May 2023, 06:30 (Ref:4155931)   #212
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Given AT is the "development team" that traditionally is used by Redbull to teach and test new talent, Lawson would make more sense than DR.
DR getting laps in the redbull at Silverstone and a seat fitting at AT is just business as usual and not pointing to anything
Old 14 May 2023, 12:28 (Ref:4155961)   #213
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
After 5 races including a month off, it sounds like a bunch of teams are ready with updates for Imola…if AT show up with a new RB style floor and/or DRS system they might be becoming a highly coveted seat.

Could become an interesting in season seat battle.
Old 14 May 2023, 23:35 (Ref:4156164)   #214
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Dan Ric is reserve driver for both RBR & AT, so needs the sit fitting down for that role - seems like (so far at least) the rumours / supposition are based on adding 2+2 and getting 67.
According to Marko any replacement for DeV will be either Iwasa from DAMS F2 or moving Liam Lawson from Super Formula into the seat.
Marko has indicated there is no idea of putting Ricciardo into the seat.
Marko is hopeful that DeV can lift his game.
Old 15 May 2023, 09:22 (Ref:4156206)   #215
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Alpha Tauri will probably keep De Vries regardless of what Marko says. Iwasa is too inexperienced and needs to concentrate on F2 and not sure Lawson would be a great choice either. He's probably missed the boat

I do think Ricciardo coming is unlikely though. And to be fair de Vries has not done much, that almost anything will be an improvement. So we shouldn't expect too much
Old 15 May 2023, 09:38 (Ref:4156211)   #216
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
De Vries has really been a disappointment considering his record in other categories and his debut at Monza last year. He's struggling to beat Tsunoda. Has he made a mistake going with the Red Bull family? He needs to get his act together soon. We know how ruthless Red Bull can be with drivers. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Ricciardo back
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think Alpha Tauri will probably keep De Vries regardless of what Marko says. Iwasa is too inexperienced and needs to concentrate on F2 and not sure Lawson would be a great choice either. He's probably missed the boat

I do think Ricciardo coming is unlikely though. And to be fair de Vries has not done much, that almost anything will be an improvement. So we shouldn't expect too much
Amazing the difference a few days can make...
Old 15 May 2023, 11:44 (Ref:4156236)   #217
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Surely this is too early for De Vries to be chucked under the bus, even by RBR standards? Although, I am confused why they signed him in the first place as he does not seem to fit in with the original idea of AT team, who I thought were there to test out young drivers to potentially go on up to the main team.
Old 15 May 2023, 22:55 (Ref:4156311)   #218
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Surely this is too early for De Vries to be chucked under the bus, even by RBR standards? Although, I am confused why they signed him in the first place as he does not seem to fit in with the original idea of AT team, who I thought were there to test out young drivers to potentially go on up to the main team.
Good question.
He is much older than most of the Red Bull regular crew set of drivers.
But a comment by Tost, who had watched him karting when he was younger, challenge and beat others who are now highly rated in F1, may have had something to do with it.

To their credit RBR seem to be willing to trial a driver, even a former Red Bull driver to 'make sure' they haven't passed someone who deserved to better shot, to get an opportunity.
It is all about opportunity.
So Nyck got an opportunity with Williams and it became an opportunity with AT.
After Hartley had won LM and done a couple of years in WEC he got another shot after talking to Marko, when he was placed in the second team, but it did not lead anywhere else.
Old 16 May 2023, 00:39 (Ref:4156325)   #219
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reports on radio in Australia that the Imola race will be cancelled due to flooding.
Old 16 May 2023, 05:30 (Ref:4156339)   #220
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Reports on radio in Australia that the Imola race will be cancelled due to flooding.
They could just get 20 of these. Ricciardo and Max have all the experience needed already,,,,

https://www.thedrive.com/content/201...920&quality=70
Old 16 May 2023, 06:04 (Ref:4156340)   #221
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Interestingly - that is not being reported in Italy as far as I can tell at the moment.
Old 16 May 2023, 12:56 (Ref:4156387)   #222
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently there is red alert weather warning.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/i...ning/10470028/
Old 16 May 2023, 14:20 (Ref:4156411)   #223
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Apparently there is red alert weather warning.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/i...ning/10470028/
Yes - we are currently under the alert, but that is due to expire tomorrow (and the weather has been nowhere near as bad as forecast).

Obviously, things can change and there is a slight risk of issues, but it looks like being fairly certain to rain but nothing significant over the weekend.
Old 16 May 2023, 14:27 (Ref:4156415)   #224
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Race can wait. Hopefully the locals will not be impacted too much by the extreme weather.

Richard
Old 16 May 2023, 15:02 (Ref:4156422)   #225
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A friend of mine is there. Paddock has been evacuated as the river behind it (the Santerno?) is almost 20 feet higher than normal. Water is almost up the base of the back wall of the paddock, if it gets any higher it's going to be really bad.