Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 15 Oct 2001, 13:12 (Ref:160881)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Makinen to Subaru

Just found this on Autosport.com

Multiple world champ switches camps; Burns on his way out
Makinen will switch his allegiance for 2002

Subaru has confirmed today (Monday) that four-time World Rally champion Tommi Makinen will join the team in 2002, along with co-driver Risto Mannisenmaki. The news means that Richard Burns is almost certainly heading to Peugeot next season.

Makinen, 37, has signed a two-year contact with the Prodrive-run squad, ending his long relationship with Japanese rivals Mitsubishi.

"I felt it was time for a change, and I'm delighted that Subaru has given me this fantastic opportunity," said Makinen. "The team has a clear concept of how to win the WRC, and I'm proud that I'm going to be to be part of that. I have a lot of respect for Subaru and I am really looking forward to working with everyone there."

Team principal David Lapworth said: "No driver even comes close to matching Tommi's record of achievements over the last five years. When he joins us next season the sky's the limit on what we can achieve as a team. Tommi will be the perfect team leader and it will be our primary goal to make him world champion in 2002."

Makinen is understood to have decided on Subaru after turning down offers from Citroen, Peugeot and Ford.

Well this makes next year's world championship very interesting
Old 15 Oct 2001, 14:56 (Ref:160910)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite a coup for Subaru and possibly a blow to Burns, but he is good and should find a more than competitve ride. I admit I am honestly surprised by this move, but then in the US our WRC coverage is extremely limited.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 15:46 (Ref:160926)   #3
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I was surprised by the news also. I'd thought TM would be Citroen-bound out of the two teams. Unless they've got something in the pipeline the Subaru hasn't been that competitive this year, so it doesn't seem that much better a move for him than staying at Mitsubishi. (Saying that with Loix considering running a private Focus team, it doesn't say much for the new Lancer WRC. Who will want to drive there next year, particularly if Loix takes the Marlboro sponsorship money with him)
Old 16 Oct 2001, 11:44 (Ref:161386)   #4
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say I am absolutely shocked by Tommi's decision. I knew it was rumoured many months ago, but now we are forced to believe it. So much for loyalty in this 'sport'...

Did I say sport? I meant business...