Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: Which was the luckiest winner at Le Mans
McLaren 95 4 28.57%
Porsche 96 LMP 1 7.14%
Porsche 97 LMP 1 7.14%
Porsche 98 GT1 5 35.71%
BMW V12 LMR 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Apr 2002, 11:13 (Ref:262904)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biggest Fluke

Who do you think was the biggest fluke victory in recent years? The cars that won in 95, 96, 97, 98 and 99 were all under dogs and not the favourites. I'd have to say 99 when the V12 LMR won. The GT1's and CLR's were all faster.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 11:23 (Ref:262913)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to go for the porsche from 1998, this is because even though the car was an underdog, it only way because of the problems which befell the other cars had problems, BMW with Wheel bearing failures, Mercedes with engine problems and the Toyota had also sorts of problems and the where the only team that there to pick up the peaces.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 12:02 (Ref:262988)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Lotus GTP?
Old 17 Apr 2002, 14:29 (Ref:263142)   #4
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I plumped for the 1998 GT1, although I don't think any were flukes compared with the 1979 Kremer Porsche, or 1991 Mazda. I would think that in 1999 the BMW was anything but a fluke, the lead car was 4 laps clear when the throttle stuck open, and the 2nd car held off the remaining Toyota. Early on the lead BMW, was still in sight of the lead Toyotas and Mercedes and generally ran a lap futher between stops. Wasn't the V12 in that car, pretty similar to that in the 1995 McLaren?
Old 17 Apr 2002, 15:06 (Ref:263171)   #5
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Definitely the 1979 Porsche... and maybe more, the 1977 year, for Barth and Haywood !!! But Ickx deserved it anyway...

In the last years, I'll say... all winners deserve their victory, they were efficient and quite fast, in comparaison with the other cars of the same year...

Last edited by Fab; 17 Apr 2002 at 15:07.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 15:19 (Ref:263184)   #6
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think any of the races mentioned was a fluke. With no disrespect whatsoever for Jean Rondeau's stupendous achievement, I think the 1980 race may have been the fluke. If you can repeat a result, as porsche has done 17 times now, it is no fluke. Rondeau had all the stars come into alignment. There was only one 936 Porsche, which suffered gearbox problems. The rest of the field was the weakest seen for many years. Even at that, it was still a lottery on the weather that settled the race in Rondeau's favor.

Could he have beaten the Porsches again? Probably not. Flukey? I think so, but what a great and popular victory
Attached Thumbnails
rondeau 14.jpg  
Old 17 Apr 2002, 15:23 (Ref:263186)   #7
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could argue that some of those porsche victories are not flukes. Le Mans is an endurance race - being very quick is no good if you don't have the reliability.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 15:26 (Ref:263188)   #8
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The model is the Quartzo Rondeau (Cybers, a little help with the number designation, please). It is soon to be re-issued as an IXO model. While the car is rather ungainly in a cocka-roach fasion, the model is done so extremely well that it is better than a handbuilt model. Really!

I suggest you pre-order this car so you don't miss out. the first batch was gone in a matter of days.

And for those of you who missed out on the Bentleys, this guy still has some, but they are going real fast. He also has the lowest prices.

http://www.fastonecollectibles.com/
Old 17 Apr 2002, 16:32 (Ref:263229)   #9
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ill pick none of the above, the best car isnt alwys the fastest

i presume the porsche lmp is the wsc 95 with the twr/jag body with a porsche engine? if so, theyre the same car.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 16:53 (Ref:263255)   #10
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
no way should the 99 bmw be in there...although i don't think we appreciated it as much as we should have at the time...i certainly didn't.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 17:17 (Ref:263287)   #11
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its has to be the 1998 Porsche, as it was not a match for anyone on the track.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 19:23 (Ref:263418)   #12
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be the Mclaren, if Courage didn't cock up their pit stops they would have won it with Mario!
Old 17 Apr 2002, 19:27 (Ref:263422)   #13
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree the Rondau was the win with the most luck, not a fluke as all victories are deserved.

The Rondau took the lead thanks to a fault with the 908/80 Porsche. Ickx took over and soon begun tacking chunks out of the leaders advantage. No doubt the Porsche would have won had a shower of rain not happened with about an hour to go.
Rondau stayed out on slicks Ickx pitted for wets. The rain stopped with the track barely damp. Rondau held on to win by 2 laps. Ickx could not catch the slick shod Rondau in the drying conditions.

The Rondau above is the M379B Ford engined car chassis 003.

SL
Old 18 Apr 2002, 01:00 (Ref:263629)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, what about Mazda's win? They never would have won the race on speed, but the rotary engine was as industructable as usual! Victory by default, but deserved.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 12:39 (Ref:263882)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhino
Has to be the Mclaren, if Courage didn't cock up their pit stops they would have won it with Mario!
I think Mario's shunt in the Porsche Curves was as much to blame........

I don't think any of the cars mentioned won by way of a fluke. In fact, I don't think any win in a 24 hour race can be regarded as a "fluke".
Old 18 Apr 2002, 22:11 (Ref:264373)   #16
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Austin
Rondeau (Cybers, a little help with the number designation, please)
no idea, and I can't be bothered to look it up now
Old 19 Apr 2002, 04:09 (Ref:264528)   #17
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont be so lazy cybers.
Old 19 Apr 2002, 05:45 (Ref:264546)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Austin
The model is the Quartzo Rondeau (Cybers, a little help with the number designation, please).
I'll check on the annual ACO book at noon...

I'll just say that you have the "starting" configuration of the car, because they broke the two bonnets they had, and had to finish the race with the bonnets of the other Rondeau, with ITT on it instead of Le Point... so the look of the car is different at the end that at the start

Fluky victory ? It could... but remember that Rondeau made close from the victory before and after... maybe not so fluky to have one victory in those condictions... or we have to consider that a "one-shot" victory is always a fluke...
Old 20 Apr 2002, 02:30 (Ref:265417)   #19
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it 96' or 97' that the remaining factory 911 GT1 went up in flames a few hours from the end?
Old 23 Apr 2002, 20:35 (Ref:268827)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
97. Having already lost the Wollek/Stuck/Boutsen car after 238 laps, the Collard/Kelleners/Dalmas car came to a fiery end (I think with Kelleners driving?) after completing 327 laps. This was within just a lap or so of the 39 Gulf McLaren of Bellm/Gilbert-Scott and Sekiya, which suffered a very similar fate.

By the way, the 327 laps the Porsche completed was actually enough for 6th place (had it been running........).
Old 23 Apr 2002, 21:21 (Ref:268888)   #21
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ayse,

I also believe Kelleners was driving that works 911 in 1997 when it burned. I remember looking at the monitor in front of the grandstands and seeing the poor guy jumping around...

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 23 Apr 2002, 21:29 (Ref:268897)   #22
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say the one when the Mercs went flying

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 23 Apr 2002, 21:29 (Ref:268898)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Hey, what about Mazda's win? They never would have won the race on speed.....

Hmmmm? It's always said Lee and I guess we all know that the Merc would have won if reliability (or lack of it) hadn't intervened, but it always amuses me to note that the winning Mazda in '91 covered 3 more laps than the winning Jag in 1990.....