Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Aug 2001, 19:50 (Ref:127258)   #1
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC set for new dawn.....maybe

British series combine for 'super weekends'

BTCC, F3 and GT get together for bumper racing in 2002

BTCC to line up with F3 and GT

The UK's top three national motorsport series are to be combined for three separate 'super weekends' of racing in 2002 with the British Touring Car, British Formula 3 and British GT Championships joining forces at Brands Hatch, Silverstone and Donington Park.

The move has been instigated by series organiser British Motorsport Promoters in an effort to create more overlap between Britain's premier racing categories.

"It's a great opportunity for fans to see the top three championships together," said BTCC boss Richard West. "Exciting racing is guaranteed and these events enable us to expose the best of British talent to a larger audience."

Each of the three circuits will host one of the combo weekends, as well as a stand alone event. The three 'super weekends' will be spread out throughout the year with one at the beginning, middle and end of the season.

"I'm delighted that everybody has agreed to unite for these races," said BMP chairman Robert Fearnall. "I think they will provide great entertainment and there will be a real sense of occasion around the meetings."

The Powertour combination of F3 and GTs will continue as a separate event to the BTCC and calendars for all three championships are expected to be released in the next month, with clashes other than the 'super weekends', kept to a minimum.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 21:10 (Ref:127294)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Excellent news. Funnily enough I have been suggesting such an idea for quite some time... didn't think anyone would actually pick up on the idea though. Can't wait for these meetings - really are going to be party fests!
Old 7 Aug 2001, 21:20 (Ref:127301)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I can barely cope with two day meetings, how am I going to cope with 3 days. I must be getting too old for this lark.

Beginning, middle and end of the season - that'll be Easter, May and August bank holidays then.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 22:02 (Ref:127319)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOWEEEEEEE!!! Major Ten-Tenths gatherings then!!!
Old 7 Aug 2001, 23:30 (Ref:127355)   #5
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Awww. I thought the title of the thread meant we were getting a replacement for Dawn McDaniel. Damn!

Anyway - I'm with 'shoes on this one. You can keep your three day meetings - two is enough!
Old 8 Aug 2001, 09:09 (Ref:127460)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It's hard enough getting marshals to volunteer for two day meetings let alone three days!

Could this be BMP's way of trying to shore uip the BTCC package which, if it continues in it's current vein, is in danger of collapsing? Let's hope we don't end up with the usual TOCA ****, 30 minute practice sessions for all series and loads of hanging around with no track action!
Old 8 Aug 2001, 09:21 (Ref:127466)   #7
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure that it is going to be over 3 days, it doesn't mention it in the press statement. I am sure they could fit everything in 2 days. Powertour at the moment consists of at least 8 races and they manage. I think 3 days would be a mistake.
Old 8 Aug 2001, 09:26 (Ref:127468)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with you Claire, if they package the thing correctly it can easily be done in two days!
Old 8 Aug 2001, 10:09 (Ref:127478)   #9
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My mistake I have just read another report which states the superweekends will be over 3 days. What are they going to fill them with? Lots of support races must be on the cards but which ones?
Old 8 Aug 2001, 10:34 (Ref:127485)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
They will fill them with countless practice sessions, each about 30 minutes which will bore the pants off everyone, especially me. Why don't they have fewer practice sessions and give everyone two races?

Oh sorry, that's sensible isn't it!!!
Old 8 Aug 2001, 13:16 (Ref:127551)   #11
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Y
Awww. I thought the title of the thread meant we were getting a replacement for Dawn McDaniel. Damn!
Oooooh how about the effervescent Dawn French??? She'd do a much better job than that McDaniel woman.

Old 8 Aug 2001, 19:36 (Ref:127740)   #12
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

WOW what a fantastic idea ... and it should bring the crowd in!!!

Something different to look forward to
Old 9 Aug 2001, 08:15 (Ref:127970)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
You will need somthing special to relieve the boredom! How about the old RAC grid girls from a couple of years back?
Old 9 Aug 2001, 19:50 (Ref:128201)   #14
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news...but keep i down to two days please!