Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 2 Jun 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2890153)   #1
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Isle of Man TT - 2012

Heyup.

So, me and a couple of freinds have decided that we really should get the TT crossed off our list of must-do's next year.

Not knowing too much about the place or schedule, can anyone that has been shed any light on what to do and when.

Accomodation - To keep things cheap, i guess camping would be the way forward. Any recommendations for particualr sites?

Timing - I gather it's a week long event? What day to most people go and return?

That'll do for know, just trying to get my head around it.

Cheers

Pete
Old 9 Jun 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2894200)   #2
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
yes id like to know the best way of getting there (by steampacket ferry?) and if so how subsidiesed is it? thats the only thing thats stopping me from going, ill marshal for the full ten days, but the sheer cost of an hour or so trip across is a bit of a **** take. £60 ish even subbed would be good
Old 9 Jun 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2894205)   #3
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More like 3 hours! It's not a cheap place to get to whatever way you do it, but Steampacket is probably the best. At least you can fill your car with stuff.

As for accomadation. I would book it as soon as. I go for the round of the British Rally Championship, and that can be quite hard to get a decent hotel for. They moved the dates this year, and I managed to get a decent hotel for good money before it was common knowledge... I think the TT will be well known about though!
Old 16 Jun 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2899987)   #4
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Unfortunately Steam Racket is really the only way of getting there - there are flights that are reasonably priced the rest of the year, but jump up for two weeks at the end of May / early June! Going as a foot passenger is well affordable, but that may leave you in the lurch at the other end as regards transport unless you want to look into hiring a car. I'm not sure which would be the cheapest.

Accommodation - book now. There's hotels, campsites, or home stays (organised through tourist information) where local folk rent out their spare bedroom for the fortnight. I can't recommend any sites I'm afraid not having used them! Generally there's plenty of places to stay, but to get a decent price I'd be looking now.

Timing -practice week starts on the 28th May for evenings that week. Racing is the following week on Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. However, if it rains racing will be put back a day. For a week holiday a lot of people come over on the Saturday or Sunday and don't worry too much about the first two races on Saturday. Getting back can be fun though as lots of people try to come back after the Senior race on Friday. This year I came back on the Sunday instead - not quite as mad; plus you have the opportunity on the Saturday to either watch the Post-TT races at Billown or to watch the Senior if it's been rain delayed!
Old 16 Jun 2011, 12:23 (Ref:2900198)   #5
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
yes thanks mark and asp, ive tried finding flights to diiom aiport through expedia and trying to get one is quite tricky!
i will be camping though boring and uncomfortable so do i go as a cyclist with a trailer, whatd that be classed as! or a cyclist with a huge 5st backpack !
Old 18 Jun 2011, 03:57 (Ref:2901230)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am hoping to go next year, but we shall see. Right now it's too far into the future to think about.