Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jul 2002, 18:20 (Ref:344678)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long before Spa and Monza get the 'new Hockenheim' treatment?

If Spa and Monza were chopped in half like Hockenheim was, F1 would end up like NASCAR. After all, NASCAR always uses ovals, and F1 would become the same, except with medium speed tracks with almost no overtaking points instead of ovals.
Old 28 Jul 2002, 19:32 (Ref:344718)   #2
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa will be taken away from the calendar after this year....and Monza? I hope that the Italians would never destroy the track and the park.

F1 is dead, why don't we admit it?
Old 28 Jul 2002, 20:03 (Ref:344733)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, remembering the hoo-ha that was created by Italian conservationists when the FIA tried to insist on post-Senna circuit changes in 1994, I doubt if Monza could be easily changed.

I seem to recall that some sort of trade-off was arranged, whereby the barest minimum of mature trees were felled, and several times the number of saplings were reinstated elsewhere in the Park.

I think that in this case, Miss Hardt, the trees are quite safe.

If the FIA were to absolutely insist, I suspect that Monza would be dropped from the calendar long before the bulldozers tried to change it.

Hey, if they dropped it from the calendar, perhaps they could smooth out the chicanes and have some lovely slipstreaming Monza races once again. Formula 1 is alive and well, and is to be seen contested by brave amateurs in privately run historic cars all over the world!
Old 28 Jul 2002, 20:23 (Ref:344739)   #4
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, at Monza they took a headstart by creating an utterly stupid first chicane, and earlier revamping the Lesmo's to mere mediocre corners which no one who never witnessed a car speeding throught the old Lesmo's will remember.
Old 28 Jul 2002, 21:06 (Ref:344763)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep.

Medium speed tracks with no elevation changes all the way. Yippee
Old 29 Jul 2002, 03:32 (Ref:344948)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa can't be tampered with as it would be just too much hard work. Half of the track is on public roads.

As for Monza, any changes would take a long time to come about. Monza has been basically the same now, except for the introduction of chicanes, for 70-odd years and any moves to reconstruct the circuit would have a stack of arguments against it, despite what Eddie Irvine wants!!

But it won't surprise me when Spa is eventually dropped and Monza is chopped up. Most F1 circuits are pathetic and boring nowadays. Hey, why have two more exciting tracks when we can have boring, follow-the-leaders races!!!
Old 29 Jul 2002, 11:35 (Ref:345208)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It looks rather like Spa will be dropped from the calender due to the tobacco issue. Once gone I bet it doesn't return, rather like a few other circuits.

If we believe Bernies promises to other nations for GP's then you have to expect Italy to lose a GP, the same with Germany and France. At the moment they each have two Grand Prix (Monza/San Marino, Magny Cours/Monaco, Hockenheim/Nurburgring)
Old 29 Jul 2002, 11:41 (Ref:345213)   #8
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa and Monza have already been cut in half!
Old 29 Jul 2002, 11:42 (Ref:345215)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Technically France does not have 2 Gp, can't see the Monaco GP be named Grand Prix of France.... But I agree with Italy and Germany.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 11:56 (Ref:345232)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree it's not tecnically France Red, but you got my drift I'm sure?
Old 29 Jul 2002, 12:03 (Ref:345249)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Yeah.... no tobacco ads in France...... but in Monaco they're still ok.

I believe that Monaco cannot be dropped or renamed as French GP. And a F1 season without the French GP is also inimaginable.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 12:10 (Ref:345264)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Speaking of the tobacco ban, did you notice it didn't apply yesterday for some reason. Why are Germany exempt, I thought it was a voluntary ban within EU countries?
Old 29 Jul 2002, 12:11 (Ref:345270)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
:confused: Didn't know about such thing, but anyway, it won't be voluntary from 2006... I believe that local laws still applies by then.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 13:02 (Ref:345328)   #14
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe Spa or Monza will be in F1 much longer in any shape or form.

What with more Eastern countries coming to the calender One Italian race will be dropped and since Imola is sanitised it's unlikely to be the one.

Also Germany, is about a 20 minute walk form Spa so Bernie is unlikely to want that to stay.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 18:27 (Ref:345599)   #15
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with Morris 1000, that Monza and Spa have already been decimated, Monza in a boring chicne fashion, but Spa shows how to do it properly. Shame it won't be around for much longer.

F1Manoz

The situation at Spa being mostly on public roads is slowly disappearing. I have visited the circuit twice in recent years while on the way to Germany, and both times it has been closed to the public, and is so from about February to November, with the recent new road being opened which bypasses the circuit, I don't believe it will be long before it becomes closed 12 months a year.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 29 Jul 2002, 19:37 (Ref:345655)   #16
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I keep saying Spa will be net for the chop, if it survives. Monza is short enough already.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 20:15 (Ref:345697)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Technically France does not have 2 Gp,
Technically, neither does Italy, and technically neither did Germany when it was called the Luxembourg GP! All a load of BS of course, but it's amazing how money talks!
Old 29 Jul 2002, 20:25 (Ref:345708)   #18
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza is doing the work needed to keep F1, Imola isn't.

The Imola track is horrid and deserves to be dropped. Move the German GP to Nurburgring.

Last edited by Speedworx; 29 Jul 2002 at 20:25.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 20:41 (Ref:345721)   #19
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really hope they don't drop Spa. IMO it's the best track in the world. At least I'll get to go to the last race held there if they do drop it next year..

Max! Don't do it!
Old 29 Jul 2002, 21:07 (Ref:345738)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by M Coupe
I have to agree with Morris 1000, that Monza and Spa have already been decimated...
Imagine this:
Attached Thumbnails
thissteep.jpg  
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 Jul 2002, 22:01 (Ref:345776)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be time for CART to take up Spa and Monza if they were dropped. Then we would see Real Racing, with no team orders...

We're already at the Gilles Villeneuve!
Old 30 Jul 2002, 02:05 (Ref:345925)   #22
emmer
Rookie

Japan
emmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
about france it seems that paul ricard can be the chosen track for 200X (can't remember). i hope so.

if one track has to be dropped i'd chose hockenheim :| :
Old 30 Jul 2002, 02:20 (Ref:345935)   #23
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beautiful photo, Paul...

Paul Richard'll replace Magny Cours before long, but it'll be the emasculated short course. No big straightaway.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 03:35 (Ref:345957)   #24
Rutle
Rookie

Rutle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
emmer and Lee J - You're right of course - Paul Ricard has to be a fairly obvious replacement for Magny Cours at some point - just look at who owns it!!!

also...
Quote:
originally posted by Yoong Montoya
After all, NASCAR always uses ovals
They don't actually - they also currently use Sears Point and Watkins Glen and have previously used Willow Springs, Elkhart Lake, Bridgehampton and Riverside.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 05:34 (Ref:345980)   #25
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Technically, neither does Italy, and technically neither did Germany when it was called the Luxembourg GP! All a load of BS of course, but it's amazing how money talks!
Those are not similar cases Mr V. Monaco is a different country, whileas Imola is in Italy not in San Marino, and Nurburgring is in Germany not in Luxembourg.