Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Aug 2002, 19:20 (Ref:369394)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vintage / repro posters?

I'm looking for good places to pick up the odd repro or vintage race poster (web-based preferred). For instance, I know the ACO's museum has repros of the Le Mans posters for some years, but their webstore doesn't have them all (in particular the 1959 poster). Dummy that I am, I didn't shell out the 30ish euros when I was there in April, and then Liz was unable to track it down during the race weekend...

I've found them elsewhere, but at higher prices : www.experiencelemans.com is selling the repros at 40 $US (roughly 43 euros) shipping included.

I'm also looking for repros of other races, such as the great sportscar races now gone (MM, TF) or of Grands Prix such as Monza (they have them listed on their website sans prices) or Monaco.

Any ideas?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Sep 2002, 06:33 (Ref:371821)   #2
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure what you're looking for but there are lots out there......
Attached Thumbnails
poster5.jpg  
Old 3 Sep 2002, 06:35 (Ref:371823)   #3
strad
Veteran

lots........
Attached Thumbnails
cubanons.jpg  
Old 3 Sep 2002, 06:40 (Ref:371825)   #4
strad
Veteran

And lots......
Attached Thumbnails
poster8.jpg  
Old 3 Sep 2002, 13:30 (Ref:372111)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where can those be found? Purchased?

I'm not interested in vintage mostly because, well, they're posters, not investments (to me).

But those are awesome. Particularly the Cuba one.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Sep 2002, 16:05 (Ref:372194)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apologies in advance for the unhelpful nature of the following post.

I have a few posters of the type pictured above, I got them from Coys of Kensington, I've just looked on their website http://www.coys.co.uk and there is no mention of the range of posters they (used?) to do. I know someone else started (or took over) selling their range but I can't remember who.

If I had more wallspace I'd buy some more.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 16:34 (Ref:372229)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not unhelpful at all. I was talking to the fellow who bought all the Coys posters on Saturday.

You've just reminded me to nip out to the car and get his business card. Thank you!
Old 3 Sep 2002, 16:47 (Ref:372241)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here we go.

Grant and Morley of Wiltshire. I was shown a gorgeous Dexter Brown poster for the 1964 Targa Florio, with a Ferrari 250LM bursting out of the picture at you.

contact j.gower@grantandmorley.com
Old 3 Sep 2002, 17:33 (Ref:372271)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Grant and morley have no website, but I sent an email. Guess we'll see what j.gower has to say!

-Bill James
Old 3 Sep 2002, 18:18 (Ref:372321)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Just a quick note on what I've found via google:

autotrend.com has a pretty decent selection, but are charging upwards of $60 US (!). There seems to be a lot of manufacturer posters out there (especially Porsche), but that's not what I'm interested in.

I noticed a goof on one poster autotrend was overcharging for: a "Can-Am Champions" poster had profiles of the champions '66 to '74, and for 1972 they had listed George Follmer, but showed Donohue's #6 917/10. If I point it out to them, do you think they'd give it to me for free?

-Bill James
Old 4 Sep 2002, 13:44 (Ref:373048)   #11
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just looked at the coys site. Not many posters but they did sell a ferrari 246 dino recently for just over £8000!!??
Old 4 Sep 2002, 18:03 (Ref:373172)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Here's a couple of posters from experiencelemans.com ($US 40 including shipping)

-Bill James
Old 4 Sep 2002, 18:07 (Ref:373175)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
I want to post all of 'em (particularly 1954 through 1962), but I'll stop there. Go to this link for all their repro posters:

http://www.experiencelemans.com/en-us/dept_6.html

Has anyone seen better pricing anywhere?

I also just noticed that they're selling the 2002 poster for $25, of which Liz brought me two copies (she got them for free!). And a start-of-the-race poster for 2002 ($25) which she also brought me...

-Bill James
Old 8 Sep 2002, 03:09 (Ref:375524)   #14
strad
Veteran

As you can imagine originals are getting hard to find, but if you will accept reproductions you might try these

http://www.thef1store.com/

http://www.affichiste.com/vintage_sports_posters.asp

http://www.posters-art-prints.com/vi...-posters.shtml

Old 8 Sep 2002, 03:46 (Ref:375532)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Thanks strad.

Looks like thef1store is affiliated with experiencelemans.com.

affichiste.com directs you to art.com, but it has GP de Pau, a nice Merc poster, a 12h du Paris, and an ACF.

I couldn't get to the third (server problems).

I've also found that a lot of these are on ebay.

-Bill James
Old 9 Sep 2002, 02:57 (Ref:376032)   #16
strad
Veteran

Most places have the same stock
http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/posters.htm
has an interesting collection
Old 9 Sep 2002, 16:06 (Ref:376569)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Actually, I think that page was what prompted me to post here.

Some real beauts!

-Bill James
Old 9 Sep 2002, 20:03 (Ref:376809)   #18
strad
Veteran

I'm not sure where your interest lies but you might be interested in this.......
http://www.vintagepostcards.com/Cata...AutoRacing.htm

http://www.hickoksports.com/posters/grandprix.shtml
Old 14 Sep 2002, 21:14 (Ref:380321)   #19
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
forix.xom has a few
Old 18 Sep 2002, 18:12 (Ref:383600)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
A quick update:

www.vintagearte.com has a few repros, which you can order in multiple sizes (the smallest being 18x24" for about $25 US +S&H via FedEx at cost). They have a bunch of Monaco GPs, some other races like Brooklands and Budapest, one Targa Florio, and the 1925 24h du Mans. 24x37 posters are generally $50.

The same 1925 24h poster (24x37) can be had for $40 including S&H via experiencelemans.com, so they're still the best deal.

Don't look under Sports -> Auto Racing, look under Transportation -> Automobiles.

-Bill James
Old 19 Sep 2002, 20:24 (Ref:384370)   #21
DaveM
Racer

DaveM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Just a quick note on what I've found via google:

autotrend.com has a pretty decent selection, but are charging upwards of $60 US (!). There seems to be a lot of manufacturer posters out there (especially Porsche), but that's not what I'm interested in.

I noticed a goof on one poster autotrend was overcharging for: a "Can-Am Champions" poster had profiles of the champions '66 to '74, and for 1972 they had listed George Follmer, but showed Donohue's #6 917/10. If I point it out to them, do you think they'd give it to me for free?
Bit late with this comment, but only just seen it. The Can-Am poster is okayish - George Follmer took over the #6 car when Donohue had his bad accident and when Donohue came back Follmer was well ahead in the championship so Penske entered two cars for the rest of the season with Follmer in the #7.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 20:27 (Ref:384371)   #22
DaveM
Racer

DaveM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should have added: so it looks like you'll have to pay for it Paul! If you get it and don't like it please pass it on to me.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 21:03 (Ref:384403)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Yeah, I had noticed that Follmer drove #6 for 4 races and #7 for 4 races. He did clinch the title in #7, though, and to my mind #6 has always been Mark's number. So I still think it would've been better to have it as #7.

And, yes, I'd have to pay for it.

-Bill James
Old 5 Jan 2003, 21:56 (Ref:464815)   #24
strad
Veteran

A couple I thought you might like
Attached Thumbnails
anonimoautoracechicago1915.jpg  
Old 5 Jan 2003, 22:07 (Ref:464823)   #25
strad
Veteran