Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Aug 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1670404)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[WTCC] Predictions Comp, Round 6, Mexico - Results!

Edit - 04/08/06 - After much consideration and some points being raised with me I have decided that Pole as Rydell no longer stands. This therefore affects Saleen S7R, E46 and JMeissner who all had Rydell for pole. No - one actually gains out of this decision.

In future the "pole position" will be the driver who is on pole come the start of the race.

Point scores at Puebla, Mexico.

3 points:
TCD, Hazard, SALEEN S7R, E46

1 point:
alfan, beau1, knowlesy

0 point:
DPRacing, JMeissner

Overall Points after Puebla, Mexico.

51 points:
SALEEN S7R

28 points:
E46

32 points:
TCD

21 points:
JMeissner, knowlesy

16 points:
Dani Filth

13 points:
alfan

11 points:
Hazard

10 points:
j_t_8_8_8, yellowsubmarine, beau1

9 points:
x_dt

7 points:
luke

6 points:
DPRacing

4 points:
Duffacus, Wilbo

3 points:
Blackadder

1 point:
Matthopps

Sorry to Wilbo and yellowsubmarine - unfortunately you entered after the deadline.

Last edited by touringlegend; 3 Aug 2006 at 23:11.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 22:40 (Ref:1670450)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another good round for me. Extended my points lead by another 4 points now I beleive. If only I was doing this well in the BTCC competition...
Old 2 Aug 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1670773)   #3
TCD
Racer

TCD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about points for pole?: Tavano had pole and Rydell was set 10 places back to 11th position.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1670779)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes but he still took pole position, the fact he had a engine change doesent change that, and that is reflected in the official results section of the WTCC website.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1670818)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had totally forgot that, didn't even realise since I went off the 'official' results.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1670883)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
The thing is though, say Raikonen took pole for this weekends Hungarian Grand Prix and later had to have a engine change the official results would still show him as having taken pole but then being put back 10 places on the grid because of the engine change. The fact he got pole postition woudnt be changed, just where he starts from. If I understand things correctly that is.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1670894)   #7
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he set the quickest lap time in the qualifying session, then regardless of weather they had an engine change or not, shouldn't they still be credited with the pole position?

Depends if this is all going by the laptimes they set or the position they started from on race day. Personally I'd go from laptimes - it's not the driver's fault if their engine fails, and they did put in the hard work for the lap time afterall...
Old 2 Aug 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1670904)   #8
TCD
Racer

Indeed, it all depends on what is pole position. Say Rydell had 6 wheels on the car, and drove the fastest time; he would be DQ's coz of that but he still had the fastest time in qualy, so he still has pole? You can compare it with this; fastest time, but they did something that is not allowed (engine change), he was set back 10 positions. So no pole then, that's my idea.
-----
dictionary.com:

2 entries found for pole position.
Main Entry: pole position
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: in racing, being in the front row on the inside of the first bend; by extension, any advantageous position
Etymology: from pole of the inside fence
-----

Let's get this discussion fired up !

Last edited by TCD; 2 Aug 2006 at 12:49.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1670908)   #9
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes but with 6 wheels you know you'd be doing something illegal. an engine change is illegal, but it's unexpected - in the general scheme of things, you don't go to a race expecting an engine change, do you? works in different ways on different levels - also, with 6 wheels you'd be lapping illegally - wth an engine change, the lap times you set would be legal (as long as the engine was the same spec, then the car would be too), but there'd be a penalty afterwards.

Last edited by TheNewBob; 2 Aug 2006 at 13:03.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1671025)   #10
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD
Indeed, it all depends on what is pole position. Say Rydell had 6 wheels on the car, and drove the fastest time; he would be DQ's coz of that but he still had the fastest time in qualy, so he still has pole? You can compare it with this; fastest time, but they did something that is not allowed (engine change), he was set back 10 positions. So no pole then, that's my idea.
-----
dictionary.com:

2 entries found for pole position.
Main Entry: pole position
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: in racing, being in the front row on the inside of the first bend; by extension, any advantageous position
Etymology: from pole of the inside fence
-----

Let's get this discussion fired up !
Be humble in your defeat.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1671037)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
For once Christian I agree with you.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1671277)   #12
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually, I'd agree that Tavano had pole. The reasoning for these rules is if Rydell's car isn't capable of getting from qualifying to the race without the engine falling apart, that's what the penalty is for.

If he'd left the failed engine in and started from pole, fine! Cept he'd stay there as the rest drove by.

Fastest in qualifying and pole position aren't the same thing. Take reversed grids for example...Rydell started from pole in race two didn't he?

Usually grid results are amended or do have a proper 'starting' line-up page somewhere, unfortunately not for WTCC at the moment.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1671284)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
The thing is though, say Raikonen took pole for this weekends Hungarian Grand Prix and later had to have a engine change the official results would still show him as having taken pole but then being put back 10 places on the grid because of the engine change. The fact he got pole postition woudnt be changed, just where he starts from. If I understand things correctly that is.
He would not be credited with pole officially.

Pole is really just a signal of starting from the best grid slot, rather than the quickest qualifying time as stupid as that sounds!
Old 2 Aug 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1671446)   #14
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the prize winning this game? a Chrysler Viper? Alice Cooper´s palace? When you want to win so much.....

My name is Alice, I live in a palace...
Old 2 Aug 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1671455)   #15
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
If FIAWTCC.com change the Qualifying Results I will alter them but until then I'll stick to the results as per above.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1671471)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does it matter in the end? Is anyone so bothered?

Just fob them all off touringlegend, you have other things to do!
Old 2 Aug 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1671507)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Does it matter in the end? Is anyone so bothered?
Those of us who happen to be at the front of the Championship seem to be yes. If you go through the thread you will see I am not the only championship front runner who is making my views very clear on this matter.

Still, as Touringlegend has stated that the results stand unless the FIA WTCC website changes the qualifying results I feel I have nothing further to add to this at the moment.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1671517)   #18
TCD
Racer

Qualifing results remain the same ofcourse, coz he qualifyd 1st, but as hazard points out, on the starting grid he wasn't 1st

Old 2 Aug 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1671523)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Hazard ? bah, what does he know.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 21:43 (Ref:1671528)   #20
TCD
Racer

I think he's very wise in his comments