Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2007, 09:29 (Ref:1922599)   #26
Paulc
Rookie

Paulc has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Alonso eased off towards the end, and Lewis put on a few fast laps as a show for the fans, a demonstration that in normal circumstances he can match Fernando's pace. Lewis wasn't denied a chance to win the race, he was the slower McLaren driver overall and had spells when he couldn't live with Fernando's pace. It wasn't a very entertaining race, but the blame for that goes to Kimi, and perhaps Ferrari in general.
Yeah yeah, I heard a radio interview with Hamilton this morning who says he was given team orders to slow down,may the best man win ...not.....Roll on North America cos Alonso will be no2 for the rest of the season and we can see what this kid really can do.
Old 28 May 2007, 09:50 (Ref:1922621)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulc
Yeah yeah,
Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Am I bothered?
Quote:
I heard a radio interview with Hamilton this morning who says he was given team orders to slow down
Well yes. A bit Aintree '55 wasn't it?

I have just read your first post to start this thread again.
Quote:
Is Ron Dennis having a laugh suggesting that there are no driver orders at Mclaren,Hamilton was way quicker than Alonso towards the closing stages at Monaco and obviously backed off.
I am not sure where you get this from. Ron clearly stated after the race that he told them to back off. He actually said he had done this quite early, earlier than the lap times suggested.
Quote:
,may the best man win ...not.....
The best man did win yesterday.
Quote:
Roll on North America cos Alonso will be no2 for the rest of the season and we can see what this kid really can do.
Ah.
Old 28 May 2007, 09:50 (Ref:1922622)   #28
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulc
...but again drab modern F1 tactics ruin the day.Do you remember the good old days Senna mansell at Monaco RACING..........................they used to do that once

http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ftdt047.html
Old 28 May 2007, 10:00 (Ref:1922629)   #29
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron just said they decided in advance thet Alonso would win.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/...nso_would_win/

The definition of team orders..
Old 28 May 2007, 10:02 (Ref:1922632)   #30
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

There is nothing to get excited about really.
Never a truer word spoken (sums it all up for me anyway).

Last edited by Marbot; 28 May 2007 at 10:05.
Old 28 May 2007, 10:23 (Ref:1922644)   #31
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Lewis lost the race on Saturday,[...........]. No doubt he was quicker than Alonso though [..........] Amazingly Hamilton was so quick in quali 3 with so much more fuel on board.

Lewis lost the race the race at the start, whilst obviously he didn't want to do anything silly, he didn't even have a go at Fernando, which was proberbly understandable, but that was his only real shot at the win.

As for being so much faster on saturday, agreed, he was mighty, but not sure so much comes in to it. Compare the Mac's with the BMW's, Kubica qualified just 2/10ths behind Nick, but lapped 13 laps after him in the race.

Agree with this tho'.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Alonso drove an exceptional race, coped with the pressure brilliantly, and delivered just like a Champion should.
Old 28 May 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1922648)   #32
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Love the second to last paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandprix.com in 2002
Since then there have been a couple of occasions when Barrichello has helped Schumacher but not one which resulted in handing over a victory.
Old 28 May 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1922649)   #33
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I guess the fact that people are even arguing about Hamilton vs Alonso speaks volumes for the lad ... we are talking about a dual world champion here, the youngest ever and by anyones definition - a virtuoso.

Now I personally don't think Lewis is an Alonso quite yet but he's only a smidgeon away, is'nt he?
Old 28 May 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1922654)   #34
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And now here comes the Hamilton brigade to have a whinge?

Alonso was the quicker man during the race. Anything Hamilton did, Alonso responded. He led every lap except during the pitstops and was the worthy winner.

Hamilton was told to hold station as Ron Dennis did not want his cars taking each other out and Hamilton would not have been able to overtake on the track.

Seems rather sensible to me.

But the boo-hoo brigade need something to cry about it seems that boy wonder appears to have been 'robbed' of a win he didn't deserve.
Old 28 May 2007, 10:50 (Ref:1922668)   #35
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz

Seems rather sensible to me.
I don't think that Hamilton was robbed of victory.But I thought that maybe some of the fans who had paid to watch around the streets of Monaco had been robbed of a race.They would have imagined that when Hamilton was only a second or so behind Alonso that they would be in for a treat.The reality,as we know,was quite different.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:05 (Ref:1922682)   #36
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Well the solution is easy. All constructors can run only one car. Wait a minute... that would effectively eliminate the constructor's championship.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:15 (Ref:1922688)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Well the solution is easy. All constructors can run only one car. Wait a minute... that would effectively eliminate the constructor's championship.
Just wait while next season-confused-you will be.

I blame Ferrari for not doing a good enough job.There,that's my swipe at Ferrari.I feel much happier now.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:21 (Ref:1922693)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The tabloid papers are having a field day today.

"Hamilton fury as Alonso pips him".

I had to laugh at the 'pip' (it was a word to that effect anyways) bit at first but upon further reading it turns out Lewis is furious and McLarens credibility is totally on the scrapheap. Alonso won this race purely on teamorders, it was all a game! LEWIS WAS THE BEST MAN AND THE BEST MAN WAS DENIED!

Now, I don't know what this is based on, but I think someone has watched the wrong race. Or had a dream. Or both. Alonso, as has been said, held the majority of the fastest laps. He is our voted driver of the race most probably. And he was flawless all weekend.

Face it guys. Those of you who are crying over this are in agreement with 'The Sun' and 'The Daily Star' or whatever. And that's the biggest insult I can hand out without having to warn myself.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 28 May 2007 at 11:24.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:28 (Ref:1922699)   #39
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but this is a ridiculous debate. McLaren had a 1-2, 18 points on a weekend where Ferrari weren't going to score half that. What was to be gained by having one of their drivers stuff it in the Armco trying to race one another? When they were trading fastest lap, they clearly weren't on a leash.

I see that the British media are up in arms. More to do with McLaren restricting access to Hamilton. Quick, manufacture outrage...
Old 28 May 2007, 11:29 (Ref:1922700)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
But I thought that maybe some of the fans who had paid to watch around the streets of Monaco had been robbed of a race.
Outrage! Not like the old days eh?

Hopefully they will give up on F1 and watch something else.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:29 (Ref:1922701)   #41
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

Face it guys. Those of you who are crying over this are in agreement with 'The Sun' and 'The Daily Star' or whatever. And that's the biggest insult I can hand out without having to warn myself.
There are perhaps those of us who feel that we may have been robbed of a "race",not necessarily an Hamilton victory.

The thing with the tabloids is that if you have the inclination to read them (and many do) you will come away with the impression that F1 is 'fixed' in some way.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1922702)   #42
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
The thing with the tabloids is that if you have the inclination to read them (and many do) you will come away with the impression that F1 is 'fixed' in some way.
That is exactly whay knowlesy is saying.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:32 (Ref:1922704)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is this "robbed of a race" stuff?

The only stage they didn't appear to race was after the final stop. However, before that they seemed to be going at it hammer and tongs with purple sector times all over the place. It was great.

Just because they held back for 20 laps to preserve their cars on a difficult track did not rob us of anything.

Of course, some people expect them to be side by side for the duration of the race, which is a tad fanciful.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:33 (Ref:1922707)   #44
Paulc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Am I bothered?

Well yes. A bit Aintree '55 wasn't it?

I have just read your first post to start this thread again.
I am not sure where you get this from. Ron clearly stated after the race that he told them to back off. He actually said he had done this quite early, earlier than the lap times suggested.
The best man did win yesterday.
Ah.
Youve obviously been conditioned to enjoy "modern bland F1 racing"with all its traits team orders etc, just the fans Bernie wants nowdays.technology,glamour oh yeah,racers oh no thats a thing of the past, for a start dump TC cos F1 has died a death ever since this was brought in,check out the none TC Gp2 Monaco race most of the accidents were caused by not having TC,yes the cars were a handfull ask Mike Conway but it was far more entertaining than the F1 race.I dont get it why cant the pinnicle of motorsport be fun anymore?I guess the only way this will change is with the demise of Ecclestone .This says it all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUkv6P-2SAw

Last edited by Paulc; 28 May 2007 at 11:37.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1922710)   #45
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Did anyone see the Italian GP in 1979? Those team orders were an absolute abomination. The fans were just totally cheated.

Show some common sense people. This is a team game. For me, there is an application of team orders that is acceptable and an application that is unacceptable. Asking the guys to preserve the cars is surely OK and intelligent? It's not like Lewis pulled over at the line to let Alonso past at the last yard, that would be annoying and probably illegal nowadays too.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 28 May 2007 at 11:38.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1922711)   #46
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not since USGP 2005.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1922712)   #47
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevp
Ron just said they decided in advance thet Alonso would win.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/...nso_would_win/

The definition of team orders..
technically, what he said was:

if there had been a SC, Hamilton would've won
if there was no SC, Alonso would've won

that was their "strategy"
Old 28 May 2007, 11:38 (Ref:1922713)   #48
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

The only stage they didn't appear to race was after the final stop.
The important bit then.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:39 (Ref:1922715)   #49
Paulc
Rookie

Quote:
What is this "robbed of a race" stuff?

The only stage they didn't appear to race was after the final stop. However, before that they seemed to be going at it hammer and tongs with purple sector times all over the place. It was great.

Just because they held back for 20 laps to preserve their cars on a difficult track did not rob us of anything.

Of course, some people expect them to be side by side for the duration of the race, which is a tad fanciful.
You really thought that was a race? *shakes head from side to side*
Old 28 May 2007, 11:41 (Ref:1922717)   #50
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Define "race".