Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 9 Nov 2008, 04:36 (Ref:2330911)   #1
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
xlr8r's track edits

I've gotten a little worn out of sketchup lately so I have decided to start posting some of my gmap track edits.

First up is Monza.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2384069

I tried to get rid of two of the chicanes while keeping the long straights and high speeds intact. These new sections hopefully would be places for overtaking. Also I did not want to change Curva Grande, the Lesmos, and Parabolica at all with the exception of extending Curva Grande a slight bit. Hopefully these changes would improve racing and safety at an already great track.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 04:55 (Ref:2330912)   #2
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
Next up is Imola

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2384082

I think the problem with this circuit is the location of the pit straight. By moving the pit straight I have created a new long straight and a tight turn 1 for overtaking, something this circuit has lately lacked. The Tamburello chicane remains untouched for safety reasons. However I have changed the Villenueve chicane a little bit. I would prefer if it was just gone but it needs to be there for safety imo. Everything else remains unchanged except for the tightening of Variante Alta a bit. Hopefully these changes, while drastic, would improve overtaking opportunities without sacrificing safety.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 11:30 (Ref:2330997)   #3
Luke Kinsella
Rookie

Luke Kinsella has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
About Imola... if you modify the track in that way, the Tamburello chicane is useless, because cars wouldn't arrive there at high speed.
So, you should make it a round corner, as it was prior to 1994.

Monza wouldn't work, because you made the Lesmo corners boring and useless.
If I had to change anything in Monza I'd simply get rid ofthe Roggia chicane. (Extending the run off at Lesmo One).
And your modify at Ascai wouldn't produce as many overtakings as the current configuration does.

Still, yours are courageous projects to modify classic tracks and so I respect them
Old 10 Nov 2008, 06:49 (Ref:2331366)   #4
Aloysius
Racer

Aloysius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza - I can see what you are going for here, but personally I don't think Monza needs that much fixing. Actually, I'd like to see the first to chicanes removed leaving only the Ascari, but this is just a fantasy.

As for the Imola edit, I really like it. That little kink inside is a neat idea. I do agree with Luke Kinsella though that the edit means you could return Tamburello to it's former glory. Also, i'd take out the second final chicane as well, but then again I just really hate chicanes is general.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 15:46 (Ref:2334896)   #5
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
imola is nice, but 5 homes would have to be destroyed for it to work
Old 11 Dec 2008, 02:54 (Ref:2352267)   #6
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
Heres another little edit, Lime Rock Park.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2434579

Last year the owners really destroyed Lime Rock by adding awful chicanes at both the uphill and west bend corners. They added these chicanes for safety but it really seemed to make the track more dangerous as there were plenty of accidents in the ALMS race.

I have moved the uphill inward a bit to give it some runoff area for safety. This leads to a newly aligned back straight. West bend is now a left right S bend that would also have adequate room for runoff areas. These changes would keep the great rythm of Lime Rock Park intact while adding safety runoff areas to two corners that previously did not have any.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2352626)   #7
Luke Kinsella
Rookie

Luke Kinsella has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I like it, clever measure not spoiling the track.

Were there really TWO chicanes used in the ALMS race? I thiught only one, after the uphill... (?)
Old 11 Dec 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2353048)   #8
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair, they only added the chicanes as options, the original layout is still there to run.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 23:43 (Ref:2353107)   #9
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
Yeah the original track is intact but I doubt the ALMS will ever use it again. The ALMS asked the track to add the chicanes to slow the cars down and provide overtaking opportunities. Before the change the ALMS used an older chicane after the uphill. My version eliminates all of the chicanes so that ALMS and grand am could run there safely.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 04:18 (Ref:2353201)   #10
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And a 3rd is planned for next year between the 2nd and 3rd turns. That would completely destroy the rhythm of the track.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2353417)   #11
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will never understand why racing organizations constantly feel the need to tamper with great designs I realize they are trying to either make the track safer or more exciting (with more opportunities to overtake), but in the end they almost always ruin it. I like really like your edit though, it's much better than the new Lime Rock.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 15:51 (Ref:2353582)   #12
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mine: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2436463

Its a complete fantasy. I don't think lime rock park even owns that land and it crosses a creek twice. I did make the track longer, faster and easier to pass on. I added what would be an optional "boot" and tightened the west bend to make a passing zone and make the downhill safer. I think ALMS would be well suited for this configuration but again, it's never gonna happen and its a complate fantasy...
Old 9 Apr 2009, 00:26 (Ref:2437069)   #13
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
Here is an edit of Barber Motorsports Park.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2710298

The IRL recently tested here and had very large fan support and attendance. However the track was really designed for motorcycles not indycars. The IRL wants the track to make changes so that overtaking is possible before they have a race here. This might be what they end up doing.

I eliminated the first esse on the back straight and tightened up the second which might allow for some passing hopefully.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2437381)   #14
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8r View Post
Here is an edit of Barber Motorsports Park.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2710298

The IRL recently tested here and had very large fan support and attendance. However the track was really designed for motorcycles not indycars. The IRL wants the track to make changes so that overtaking is possible before they have a race here. This might be what they end up doing.

I eliminated the first esse on the back straight and tightened up the second which might allow for some passing hopefully.
A better one would be to remove the down hill chicane, just after the first point, its a nightmare and would be much more flowing track with a long hairpin.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2437757)   #15
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
Yeah I thought about removing that chicane but I find it to be a unique turn. Turning that into a hairpin probably would not be good for passing because the straight is not long enough. That's why I tried to extend the back straight as long as possible.