Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Apr 2021, 12:41 (Ref:4047081)   #1
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Electric GT Racing is here

FIA have released the technical regulations for an all new fully electric GT series running at GT3 pace on full circuits.

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-announc...ic-gt-category
Old 21 Apr 2021, 15:24 (Ref:4047114)   #2
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With no competition, just one battery supplier. That will advance the technology, not....
Old 22 Apr 2021, 07:53 (Ref:4047229)   #3
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
With no competition, just one battery supplier. That will advance the technology, not....
I don't think this is a fair criticism given these are to be based on GT3s, and GT3s are BoP'd. They are customer cars, not meant for progressing technology.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 09:45 (Ref:4047250)   #4
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't think this is a fair criticism given these are to be based on GT3s, and GT3s are BoP'd. They are customer cars, not meant for progressing technology.

I think you are very right.

The top tier of WEC should be where OEMs go to develop tech.

GT3 has never been about new tech and this is a continuation of that.

It’s not just the top tier of WEC that needs to move electric eventually... eventually every single motor car will need to go electric, or hydrogen. Or (hopefully!!) green fuel for a traditional combustion engine.

GT3, GT4 will need affordable approaches to that
Old 22 Apr 2021, 18:12 (Ref:4047365)   #5
Baliwa
Racer

Baliwa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just only hope, this not become like that Tesla GT event failed so hard.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 19:43 (Ref:4047380)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
well they are all jumping on the fully electric band wagon, but not sure that is the right way to go, but time will tell.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 21:59 (Ref:4047400)   #7
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliwa View Post
I just only hope, this not become like that Tesla GT event failed so hard.
Well, I think the difference here is the FIA backing.

There remains a lot to be seen here, how interested manufacturers will be, whether they can really replicate GT3 racing, and if so for how long?

I think the key thing for me is how serious the racing will be with these things, love it or hate it Formula E produces some pretty compelling action. But the Jaguar SUV racing that ran as support was mind-numbingly boring, so there's really no telling yet.
Old 24 Apr 2021, 08:53 (Ref:4047632)   #8
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the spec of the cars as shown , at racing speeds they will only run for about 12 minutes before needing charging .
One factor of racing is to spend as little time as possible on the brakes , so I doubt regenerative braking will ad even 1 minute to the run time .

If the format is to be 20 or 25 minute races with only 1 recharge , [ a 6 hr race would mean 2 hrs in the pits charging up ], then between 12 to 16 minutes into the race there would probably be no cars on the track .
To do a recharge in 5 or 6 minutes would need a generator truck http://www.truckinchina.com/ISUZU-Em...d78980987.html
for each car .

So , although it ticks some boxes for the Greens , I cant see it being very exciting for the spectators or the teams who would have to spend well over £100,000 on a generator for each car .
Old 6 Sep 2021, 14:53 (Ref:4072348)   #9
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://sportscar365.com/ev-racing/p...ctric-concept/
Old 6 Sep 2021, 21:46 (Ref:4072399)   #10
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Looks interesting, but the design reminds me more of an Audi. No mention of actual racing plans here either.
Old 7 Sep 2021, 08:49 (Ref:4072456)   #11
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Looks interesting, but the design reminds me more of an Audi. No mention of actual racing plans here either.
I think its just a study of whether they could potentially do the FIA's new Electric GT formula and make it look like a Porsche.

There's some nice touches, but the car looks more GT4 proportion than GT3. Then it has fairly non GT4 aero. It's a bit of a mismash.
Old 7 Sep 2021, 11:22 (Ref:4072476)   #12
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Long may it stay a concept car.
Old 7 Sep 2021, 11:32 (Ref:4072478)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Don't ask me why but for some reason it reminds me of the Deutsche Rennsport Meisterschaft in the late 70s/early 80s.
Old 7 Sep 2021, 13:28 (Ref:4072492)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Long may it stay a concept car.
Strangely, I rather like it......

But then I realise it's all electric.......
Old 7 Sep 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4072494)   #15
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Strangely, I rather like it......

But then I realise it's all electric.......
I think it looks good enough. I like it too; all but the drivetrain.
Old 7 Sep 2021, 14:41 (Ref:4072501)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Then we have an accord, as they say.......
Old 7 Sep 2021, 15:01 (Ref:4072508)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Porsche appear to have designed an electric Audi R8.
Old 7 Sep 2021, 20:30 (Ref:4072537)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It definitely looks R8ish from the sides, the rear haunches disappear from the top view to the side so it looks slabsided.

But to Porsche's credit it is cutting edge and new tech for the charge and pushing the charging time concerns. But then they have always realized this and make an electric car that doesn't have to be driven like a granny or it overheats and limps home
Old 8 Sep 2021, 00:08 (Ref:4072556)   #19
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
If/when racing transitions to electric, I'm out.
Old 8 Sep 2021, 10:54 (Ref:4072592)   #20
Bcarr6
Veteran

Personally, don't hate the idea of electric racing, sure it doesn't sound as good, sure it has different implications on the cars, but I think Formula E has shown there is good potential for wheel-to-wheel racing. I think it's near-inevitable that racing will go to electric racing at some point in the future.

The only chance it won't- if the eco-friendly synthetic fuels manage to become worthy substitutes for electricity.

I for one really hope they do, so we get to keep the noise!
Old 8 Sep 2021, 14:10 (Ref:4072610)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Personally, don't hate the idea of electric racing, sure it doesn't sound as good, sure it has different implications on the cars, but I think Formula E has shown there is good potential for wheel-to-wheel racing. I think it's near-inevitable that racing will go to electric racing at some point in the future.

The only chance it won't- if the eco-friendly synthetic fuels manage to become worthy substitutes for electricity.

I for one really hope they do, so we get to keep the noise!
I agree. I won't be 'out' as such if we end up all electric but I won't be singing and dancing about it....
Old 9 Sep 2021, 15:29 (Ref:4072813)   #22
AndrewCherry
Racer

European Union
Horsham
AndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's almost inevitable. Once the majority of road vehicles are electric, most motorsport won't have much choice - most race cars are modified road vehicles, and manufacturers won't be producing ICEs in sufficient volume to make them economically viable for grass roots motorsport. F1 and the like can carry on forever, they've got the budget for bespoke engines anyway, but what happens to something like Formula Ford when they haven't made a suitable ICE (or spare part) for 10 years?
Old 16 May 2022, 13:21 (Ref:4110209)   #23
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One step closer friends. https://sportscar365.com/ev-racing/p...man-gt4-racer/
Old 17 May 2022, 10:39 (Ref:4110343)   #24
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Looks great to be fair, the sound will be a far bigger loss than looks.