Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 30 Jun 2000, 17:21 (Ref:20541)   #26
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Have vans ever been raced (apart from the Supervan, and that hasn't raced I don't think)??
Old 30 Jun 2000, 18:43 (Ref:20553)   #27
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just saw a TVR Tasmin 280i convertible at Hallet Motor Racing circuit near Tulsa last week. It was parked at the Eurointernational US F3 team pits area. Very rare to see a TVR stateside, much less around Oklahoma.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 21:59 (Ref:20603)   #28
Graham
Veteran

Hmmmm... the TVR scene in America is actually quite healthy. I would think there are approximately 3-400 cars over there from Granturas to some of the newer models, with an increasing(ly) enthusiastic base.
I guess with such a large country, the cars are very thinly spread. There's a large meeting called "Out of the Woodwork" but I can't quite remember where it's held. I can find out.

Anyway, I think America's regulations on noise and emissions mean that it can be hard to get a TVR into the country. I've heard that there is some form of 'showcar' license or something, that allows you to bypass the regs but limits your mileage. Maybe you know more?

This is the TVR Car Club North America's website :

http://www.voicenet.com/~crc6/

although I'm probably not allowed to post that there, so just edit it out if I'm not.

Cheers.
Old 4 Jul 2000, 16:17 (Ref:21400)   #29
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vans - There was a Morris Traveller in the CSCC Pre-57s a few years ago
Old 5 Jul 2000, 07:38 (Ref:21541)   #30
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back in the late 70's I went to a few AMOC racedays at Brands Hatch where I saw a car racing known as the 'Ferrari Breadvan' - tricky to be exactly sure of the model but from memory it was a bit 250GTOish from the front with an extended cabin and upright backdoor , half glass .Surely the ultimate delivery van ? Lovely. Anyone else seen it ? or know anything about it subsequently ?
Old 5 Jul 2000, 08:50 (Ref:21547)   #31
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah, good call Slowcoach. Happy days indeed when the "Breadvan" used to take part in historic racing.

You were close when you said it was a bit GTO'ish. It's actually a 1961 Ferrari 250GT SWB, which started life with the standard SWB Berlinetta bodywork. In 1962, however, the body was removed and placed on another Ferrari chassis, and chassis #2819GT was clothed in the "Breadvan" bodywork as an exercise in aerodynamics. If I remember rightly, the theory being tested was that a large flat plane of roof, as in an estate car or panel van, was somehow good for cleaner airflow and less drag.

In "Breadvan" form, the car took part in the 1962 Le Mans, but failed to finish. It was seen racing in British "clubbies" until the early eighties.

Since 1991, it has, I believe, been in residence in New Orleans. Its last visit to these shores was for the 1997 Goodwood festival of speed.

One of my favourite cars for sure. I have a 1/43 model of it lurking in my "for construction" box, and it may just come out soon, if I can finally get the aerofoil section right on the Jody Scheckter Wolf that's been hassling me for the last week...
Old 5 Jul 2000, 09:31 (Ref:21554)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've seen it race on many occaissions. It was actually built for (or maybe bought by?) an arab prince (I think). Don't recall it being a development car though.
Old 5 Jul 2000, 09:44 (Ref:21559)   #33
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent TimD , you are motor racings equivalent of football's John Motson ! Good to know it's still in one piece , shame it's not racing , perhaps Nick Mason might one day buy it. When I used to watch it race it was normally beaten by the later more powerful cars - but it made a fantastic noise and always seemed to finish in the top 4 or 5 .
Old 6 Jul 2000, 15:52 (Ref:21836)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmmm.

Seems like my website host is taking advantage of my postings. Never mind Mallett RACING.co.uk coming to an ISP near you soon.
Old 6 Jul 2000, 16:06 (Ref:21840)   #35
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
Pete
what?
Old 6 Jul 2000, 16:11 (Ref:21845)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by SNH
Pete
what?
All the pics I've posted have changed to an advertisement.
Old 6 Jul 2000, 16:51 (Ref:21851)   #37
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
do you want me to add a link into http://www.thegrid.co.uk to your site, (reciprocal of course)?
Old 6 Jul 2000, 17:29 (Ref:21861)   #38
Graham
Veteran

BTW : coming back to the original topic, there was a Cologne Capri at Combe and I took some piccies. Is there any way to tell an original from a replica?

Come to think of it, how do you tell a GT40 from a GTD40?
Old 7 Jul 2000, 11:33 (Ref:22047)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham

Come to think of it, how do you tell a GT40 from a GTD40?
Dunno
Old 9 Jul 2000, 07:06 (Ref:22240)   #40
Michael M
Racer

Michael M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, which place in Holland?
Old 9 Jul 2000, 12:11 (Ref:22265)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael M
Peter, which place in Holland?
Working in Zoetermeer. Living in Voorburg.

On Topic. The Cologne Capri seen at Combe was probably the Vince Woodman car. I think its owned by Tom Walkinshaw now but not sure. As I understand it there are only three or four left. .
Old 9 Jul 2000, 14:13 (Ref:22274)   #42
Michael M
Racer

Michael M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, sorry, that's too far away.
Old 9 Jul 2000, 15:06 (Ref:22278)   #43
Graham
Veteran

The Capri is the same one that is in Autosport this week.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 16:12 (Ref:1930408)   #44
Tina-Lou Ashcro
Rookie

Tina-Lou Ashcro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi my name is Tina Ashcroft and Peter Ashcroft is my father. It's strange to see all the interest in the old Ford Motorsport/Boreham. My father and mother live in South Carolina now, he retired years ago. I remember all of the names from the RAC rallys and other drivers. I remember I had an awful crush on Jochen Mass??? Not sure how it is spelt, I was 12 at the time, too funny. We lived in Koln, Cologne for about 8 months back then , I seem to remeber my father muttering about head gaskets a lot.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 14:06 (Ref:1931264)   #45
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This maybe mis-information from an aged and cloudy memory, so I appologise beforehand, but wasn't the name a reference to the base engine used?

The earlier Capris had the 3 litre 'Essex' V6 - built at Dagenham. The later Capris had the lighter 2.8 litre 'Cologne' V6.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1931686)   #46
pugracer2
Rookie

England
Weston super Mare
pugracer2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just realised this thread was from the year 2000. What a coincidence that Vince Woodman was entered at Combe 2 weeks ago in the very same cologne capri. I don't think he made it, but i may be wrong and perhaps i just missed him as i was preparing to race?
Old 8 Jun 2007, 04:43 (Ref:1931889)   #47
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may be old but it was a good read, especially the question what would one be worth 30,000GBP? er, no, maybe just a little bit more.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 07:46 (Ref:1959328)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

I wonder if this thread wouldn't go well in Historics? About time we tried to trace the cars.

And welcome Tina. Get your father to help us out here.

For the record I know that Vince's car has recently been restored by Weslake Engineering and indeed they are now offering replacement parts. I think you can actually build an entire car again providing you can find a suitable shell.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 06:14 (Ref:1973601)   #49
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
I think you can actually build an entire car again providing you can find a suitable shell.

: lol
Old 20 Sep 2007, 21:18 (Ref:2019307)   #50
weslake
Rookie

weslake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello.
Have just come accross your forum and can advise that at Weslake we are now making the original V6 Capri works car engine parts again.. We hope over the coming months to reintroduce many of the old Weslake racing products.
We are pleased to help owners and builders with tec info where we can. Please feel free to contact us.