Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Jul 2006, 02:20 (Ref:1657904)   #26
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the UK there is a dedicated motorsports satellite channel that shows the V8s (along with lots of other fun events!) and there is no corresponding channel here, so there is more likely to be knowledge of the V8s there than knowledge of the BTCC here
Old 17 Jul 2006, 02:29 (Ref:1657910)   #27
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosher_pig
no trucks including merchandising ones were allowed to leave the premises till 6.00 pm to allow most of the public to get away quicker
Apparently the rule was you had to leave before the start of the 3rd V8 race or you then hadto wait til 6m to leave.

Didn't hear too many people complaining about it as most of the teams & merchandising took until then to pack up anyway.

Every year Winton learns and changes things to do it better, as all the other rounds probably do, and there are a few things a couple of us picked up on this year that we've passed on for next year.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 03:07 (Ref:1657916)   #28
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST5.0LT
Too many people spend too much time putting **** on the V8SC. If it's so bad, go play golf.
Just a hint, motorsport or even this forum isnt V8 only. Last time I checked its made up of alot more options involving 4 tyres and steering wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
maybe you too can share with us your expertise on crowd estimating?
Compared to Avesco's. You have seen the evidence Peckstar, surrounding v8 crowds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
What about the converse? In Australia, DTM doesn't exist. Nor does FIA GT, Le Mans, GP2, WTCC....

Yet V8 Supercars are broadcast around the world
I manage to watch all of the above in my lounge room. WHich to me suggests those categories mentioned also recieve world coverage.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 03:31 (Ref:1657921)   #29
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
I manage to watch all of the above in my lounge room. WHich to me suggests those categories mentioned also recieve world coverage.
Which Australian broadcaster shows any of those? I'm talking about TV here. I think maybe once or twice they've shown FIA GT on FOX, but as far as I know they don't normally.

Last edited by RotorFan; 17 Jul 2006 at 03:34.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 03:38 (Ref:1657922)   #30
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Which Australian broadcaster shows any of those? I'm talking about TV here.
All but GP2 have been on Fox Sports .
Old 17 Jul 2006, 04:01 (Ref:1657928)   #31
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Which Australian broadcaster shows any of those? I'm talking about TV here. I think maybe once or twice they've shown FIA GT on FOX, but as far as I know they don't normally.
Every round of the 2005 FIA GT, WTCC and BTCC were shown on Foxtel, i taped them all. They showed the first 6 or so rounds of last years DTM, but didn't finish the season off (they did the same with the British and American Superbikes). The 2006 versions will begin being played later in the year as is the norm (though we are rather up to date with the DTM this year).

Quote:
Read the previous sentence.
How did the previous sentence to the one i quoted, "What about the converse? In Australia, DTM doesn't exist. Nor does FIA GT, Le Mans, GP2, WTCC...." answer what i wrote?
Old 17 Jul 2006, 07:51 (Ref:1658002)   #32
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What about the converse? In Australia, DTM doesn't exist. Nor does FIA GT, Le Mans, GP2, WTCC....

Yet V8 Supercars are broadcast around the world, including all of europe. More people know about V8 Supercars in england than Australians about the BTCC...

edit: please don't ask me for figures
I'm over in the UK at the moment so will try to get a feel on how big the V8's are over here in the press after the Paperclip round. I'm also going to the Donnington Park BTCC round so should be able to get a good idea of how popular it is, might try nd talk to a few of the punters there about the V8's too.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 08:50 (Ref:1658028)   #33
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Compared to Avesco's. You have seen the evidence Peckstar, surrounding v8 crowds.
no thats why i was asking i have been provided information from people who are experts.
if people have information that is different, then i am just wondering what they base it on. or is it just a gut feeling based on nothing or another attempt to slander an organisation who they continually bag and slander. just after some fact or proof

Dont pick on me, you should be questioing these people who make such unsubstantiated posts yourself or do you just randomly accept information from people who are not experts and who have reguraily shown to have a dislike of v8s, just like this whole thread that they created
Old 17 Jul 2006, 09:04 (Ref:1658032)   #34
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peckstar you summed it rather well. I have been surprised how people behind the scenes in the Truck Series (one that Ambrose is racing in), know about it. They are confused if V8Supercars are "Sports Cars" or "Touring Cars" as all roadracing for oval racers in the US is "Sportscars racing". As an interviewer on the Truck Series said "Those V8Supercar's sure like banging wheels, it appears there is more banging than a whole race of Trucks,it seems like Aussie Rules, no rules at all". Also Eli Gold , the main announcer for NASCAR's MRN network expressed this when Marcos finished 3rd" The Tasmanian Devil has made his mark!!. NASCAR just did not pick someone out of the outback, this fellow has three V8Supercar Championships to his name and was a star in Formula Ford"
Old 17 Jul 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1658041)   #35
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Or this headline article about Ambrose and his V8Supercar past on NASCAR. com, the official website of NASCAR. A lot of people would have read this story.
http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/head...cky/index.html
Old 17 Jul 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1658593)   #36
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone please explain to me that why ANY discussion on V8's, Winton and it's crowd get bought up, aren't there any other tracks in Australia??
Old 17 Jul 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1658603)   #37
Aquarius
Racer

Or is it that Winton is the high benchmark to which others aspire?
Old 18 Jul 2006, 01:41 (Ref:1658742)   #38
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's an interesting quote from Marcos that I lifted from Robert's link.

"The move from Australia, I was kind of a big fish in a pretty small pond and now I'm small fish in a huge ocean over here."
Old 18 Jul 2006, 01:47 (Ref:1658745)   #39
Aquarius
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
Here's an interesting quote from Marcos that I lifted from Robert's link.

"The move from Australia, I was kind of a big fish in a pretty small pond and now I'm small fish in a huge ocean over here."
Is that ego talking or what?
Old 18 Jul 2006, 02:05 (Ref:1658751)   #40
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My mistake, I didnt know FIA GT, WTCC and BTCC and DTM were all shown on Foxtel. Is it the full races or highlights?
Old 18 Jul 2006, 02:06 (Ref:1658752)   #41
Robert Ryan
Veteran

No, he has been saying a lot of "politically correct" stuff about the Team. One ,was how he was not robbing a young US driver a chance of making it in NASCAR, he only wants a little spot in the NASCAR scheme of things...Yes I do not believe it either.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 02:33 (Ref:1658761)   #42
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
My mistake, I didnt know FIA GT, WTCC and BTCC and DTM were all shown on Foxtel. Is it the full races or highlights?
They are highlights.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 02:58 (Ref:1658773)   #43
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Usually about a 50 to 55 min highlight show.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 18 Jul 2006, 03:45 (Ref:1658782)   #44
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These media cover V8 Supercar news items

crash.net
motorsport.com
Autosport

And its not exactly like Australia covers the BTCC or even NASCAR down here. So I dont quite see your point. Its an Australian series with some international exposure. Even A1GP got dismall coverage in the papers when it was on, even Mnews only gave it a half a page report.

Rotor Fan, all of those series you mentioned, even GP2 Australians do have access to albiet very limited. THere are pubs with ITV satelites in Melbourne City that show GP2 everytime its on, and they show F1 qual. ESPN has a wide range of motorsports on Foxtel as does FoxSports.

The real comparison is, buy a UK magazine after a V8 round, see how much information is in it. Buy Mnews/Auto Action after a BTCC round and see how much coverage is in it. There you will see how much UK cares about our series, and how much we care about its.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1658870)   #45
Robert Ryan
Veteran

You get regular reports in Autosport. We do not get that regular reports of the BTCC here.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1658884)   #46
D.R.T.
Veteran

I'm pretty sure that Motorsport News and AA due Round reports after each BTCC events. To me that suggest regular reports.

Dare I say Autosport is also a much more comprehensive publication than that of their Australian counterparts.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1659228)   #47
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Peckstar you summed it rather well. I have been surprised how people behind the scenes in the Truck Series (one that Ambrose is racing in), know about it. They are confused if V8Supercars are "Sports Cars" or "Touring Cars" as all roadracing for oval racers in the US is "Sportscars racing". As an interviewer on the Truck Series said "Those V8Supercar's sure like banging wheels, it appears there is more banging than a whole race of Trucks,it seems like Aussie Rules, no rules at all". Also Eli Gold , the main announcer for NASCAR's MRN network expressed this when Marcos finished 3rd" The Tasmanian Devil has made his mark!!. NASCAR just did not pick someone out of the outback, this fellow has three V8Supercar Championships to his name and was a star in Formula Ford"
Don't forget that in an early round of the year, that the commentator for the series said "Marcos Ambrose comes from the small country of Tasmania, just below Australia, but he considers himself Australian" (or something similar). It's hardly surprising that they are confused about V8 Supercars.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1659271)   #48
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
You get regular reports in Autosport. We do not get that regular reports of the BTCC here.
By regular reports you mean a small article or two (at most) in the news pages, plus a race report of about a quarter of a page sometimes with a picture (written by MN's Phil Branagan).

AA's international coverage of classes has dropped off a fair bit over the last year or so (unless it's F1), though the latest round winners of the BTCC, DTM, WTCC etc... do get mentioned.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1659488)   #49
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
It's hardly surprising that they are confused about V8 Supercars.
From my experience it aint just V8Supercars. A lot of people in the US, have not even travelled out of their state. So are lot are confused between the IRL/CART, Juan Montoya in a on a NASCAR slanted blog, was mentioned as coming from the IRL!! to NASCAR. They have virtually No idea about F1. Motorsport in the US is NASCAR. Even the subject headings iin the Newspapers have :Football, Baseball, Basketball and NASCAR.
Quote:
AA's international coverage of classes has dropped off a fair bit over the last year or so (unless it's F1), though the latest round winners of the BTCC, DTM, WTCC etc... do get mentioned.
Basically what I was referring too...
Quote:
Dare I say Autosport is also a much more comprehensive publication than that of their Australian counterparts.
No, it does a very good job with European news(as to be expected) but a bit light on with US news. More is reported in MN. In fact MN gives a pretty good balanced view overall.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1659531)   #50
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To the casual fan in Britain, they probably don't score at all, but then neither does anything outside of F1, BTCC and possibly WRC. To the motorsport enthusiast they're pretty well noted. We get delayed full coverage of all rounds on Motors TV, some of them shown 'as live ' - in other words matching the local time to our time zone. Bathurst was shown on Terrestrial for many years until an on-screen tobacco advertising row stopped it. In addition, it gets reasonable coverage in the motorsport mags, particularly the enduros where European drivers take part.

Most reasonably serious fans over here would be able to name a good few of the top drivers, and in Britain certainly, we're familiar with a number of them from time spent here in junior formulae.