Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Aug 2007, 21:20 (Ref:1978593)   #1
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doran Racing Maserati to debut @ ALMS Road America

Just found this about 2 minutes ago:

Quote:
Doran Racing has entered a Maserati MC12 for the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) event at the Road America road course with drivers Fredy Lienhard and Didier Theys. It will be the first race for the new team's new LM GT1 car.
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=263753

Boy, I can't wait to see the Doran Lista livery on it!
Old 1 Aug 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1978595)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Ive seen a pic of it somewhere ..... cant remember where though . It was the usual dark blue with Lista sponsorship in light blue and white i think . Looked smart ..... But i presumed it was Horag that will run it ?
Old 1 Aug 2007, 21:37 (Ref:1978612)   #3
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Ive seen a pic of it somewhere ..... cant remember where though . It was the usual dark blue with Lista sponsorship in light blue and white i think . Looked smart ..... But i presumed it was Horag that will run it ?
It's hell getting old isn't it...

http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/241885/49/
Old 1 Aug 2007, 22:09 (Ref:1978624)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
It's hell getting old isn't it...

http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/241885/49/
Yeah ..... i know ..... its a real ******* !!!
Old 1 Aug 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1978630)   #5
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't think they were to race in the LMES/ALMS? Is an exception being made?
Old 1 Aug 2007, 22:27 (Ref:1978636)   #6
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
The MC12 is allowed by IMSA to run in the ALMS series.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 22:47 (Ref:1978643)   #7
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know when they were allowed to run in the ALMS a few years ago they were not awarded any points. I would presume that that would be the case again.

DK
Old 1 Aug 2007, 23:23 (Ref:1978657)   #8
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Great news, I'm still hopefull that ACO one day will approve it for Le Mans.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 23:38 (Ref:1978673)   #9
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wondered the same thing as well, if they will be allowed points. Not that it really matters, Corvette has won the championship.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 00:09 (Ref:1978688)   #10
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
I know when they were allowed to run in the ALMS a few years ago they were not awarded any points. I would presume that that would be the case again.

DK
The one year that the MC12 ran in the ALMS it was not eligible for points (and prize money) as mentioned, but the next year it was fully eligible for both points and prize money (though no one ran the car at all that year). I would seem to think nothing has changed and it is still fully eligible.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 00:38 (Ref:1978697)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to have another GT1 car in the ALMS. Of course they probably wont be hassling the Corvettes but if they are in front of the leading GT2 cars then that will be a good start and if one of the Corvettes slip up providing the MC12 is running smoothly it could be well placed to pick up the pieces. Realistically thats all they can hope for though given they are such a small team with 2 drivers who whilst are capable are not top line professionals. Shame it isnt Vitaphone going over to the ALMS, they would give the Corvettes a good hard race. IMO.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 00:44 (Ref:1978701)   #12
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
Well they only have finish to get third place in GT1
Old 2 Aug 2007, 03:57 (Ref:1978752)   #13
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If anything will save them, having Michelin boots will. I'm not saying that it's going to make it a competitive car, but even the Risi MC12 only had Pirellis, and maybe this crew will actually all speak the same language. With Fredy they'll never compete over a full race distance but perhaps even Didier isn't quite as quick as he once was.

I hope this isn't the coming program that had Michelin not wanting to commit techs to others. I fear it might have more to do with green Fords playing silly games...
Old 2 Aug 2007, 20:51 (Ref:1979357)   #14
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice for another car to join in, but don't really see the point - they won't beat corvette, at best they will only have an aston to beat, the car is not eligible for LM entry, no sponser is going to use this as a promotional event beyond the race itself.

Surely if you want to run a private entry in ALMS GT1, you should pick a car that is LM legal (even a 550 or Lambo) thus ensuring you will get an auto entry in the 24hrs if you want it?
Old 2 Aug 2007, 21:01 (Ref:1979369)   #15
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
Nice for another car to join in, but don't really see the point - they won't beat corvette, at best they will only have an aston to beat, the car is not eligible for LM entry, no sponser is going to use this as a promotional event beyond the race itself.

Surely if you want to run a private entry in ALMS GT1, you should pick a car that is LM legal (even a 550 or Lambo) thus ensuring you will get an auto entry in the 24hrs if you want it?
You got a point there.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 21:19 (Ref:1979389)   #16
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

The point is, the owner bought the car, that had never been raced before... for his collection. He has decided he would like to race it some.

No, the car is not eligible for a LM entry, but then they've run the FULL LMS schedule in a LMP2, and could apply if they wanted for LM, for that car. (They are third in the LMP2 standings, having won a race) They've earned the right to race at LM if they choose, IMHO.

No sponsor is needed, the guy has enough money to fund racing for quite some time, and has done so for years.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 21:38 (Ref:1979404)   #17
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
But for that to happen, you'd have to either win the ALMS GT1 championship or win Petit Le Mans. Seeing how this might be a one (or two) race deal, does the auto-invite really matter?
Old 2 Aug 2007, 21:43 (Ref:1979412)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It sounds like Leinhard already has his auto-invite with the LMP2, and since when has Kevin Doran been interested in taking his own effort to Le Mans? I've never heard particular talk of him wanting to (though I could be wrong on that).
Old 2 Aug 2007, 22:17 (Ref:1979444)   #19
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That is the thing though, do they want a entry for Le Mans? A lot of teams in the ALMS dont seem to be overly fussed and this is a small team, it would take a lot of money for them to compete at Le Mans with no guarntee of sucess. Maybe if the team becomes established and bigger in the coming years it could be something to think about but at the moment they dont have the funding going by the sounds of things.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1979449)   #20
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road America should be a great track for the MC12. Lots of long fast straights, with the right mix of corners and esses.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 22:25 (Ref:1979454)   #21
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
That is the thing though, do they want a entry for Le Mans? A lot of teams in the ALMS dont seem to be overly fussed and this is a small team, it would take a lot of money for them to compete at Le Mans with no guarntee of sucess. Maybe if the team becomes established and bigger in the coming years it could be something to think about but at the moment they dont have the funding going by the sounds of things.

Why is it you are completely ignoring their third placed standings in LMP2 in LMS?
Old 2 Aug 2007, 22:35 (Ref:1979461)   #22
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Road America should be a great track for the MC12. Lots of long fast straights, with the right mix of corners and esses.
Yea, I can't wait to see it.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 22:45 (Ref:1979476)   #23
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much of a connection is there between Doran Racing and Horag Racing? I know Didier Theys and Fredy Lienhard are clearly connected with both, but are they the same entity?
Old 2 Aug 2007, 22:52 (Ref:1979484)   #24
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
How much of a connection is there between Doran Racing and Horag Racing? I know Didier Theys and Fredy Lienhard are clearly connected with both, but are they the same entity?
Lienhard owns the cars for both, and funds both. They are his teams essentially.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 23:56 (Ref:1979521)   #25
The Badger
Veteran

What role does Kevin Doran play in this then ?