Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jun 2020, 12:49 (Ref:3982635)   #376
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I'm wondering about speculatively signing up to the ACO in case that's an entry stipulation...

Like Ayse says, it's a minefield. I've already spent money on 3x tickets for the race (GE, tribune and camping) plus travel. A more casual local fan could just tip up on the day and buy a GE ticket. Both of us are important and the ACO wont want to alienate either side. But one is cheaper to refund.

Is having things like tribune tickets and numbered camping pitches carrying over to next year quite complicated for the ACO? Not sure.
I know one thing, as an ACO member, I'd be pretty disappointed to be told that I can't go, if they let those without tickets rock up and get in.....
Old 18 Jun 2020, 12:50 (Ref:3982636)   #377
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I don't actually think there would be anywhere near 200k attendance, if I'm honest. I think there will be a lot of people who

a) won't be able to go due to the dates change, or
b) decide not to go as it's too great a risk
c) are not allowed to go due to whatever restrictions are imposed by the ACO/French central or local government
It seems on each occasion, mainly Grands Prix but also sports car and Moto events, the choice has been between cancellation (street circuits) and closed doors.
I've yet to see a race rescheduled subject to specific levels of permitted spectator attendance.
I think the choice the ACO will have is going to be closed doors or no race.
Ted Kravitz currently runs an excellent weekly video blog. Recently he was reading out the regulations for personnel participating in Grands Prix once they start in Austria next month - these are bind-blowing, with 1 metre distancing wherever possible, protective clothing, including masks and visors for everyone, no podium, no gathering of drivers for interviews, in fact most journalists not authorised (agency pooled interviews), marshalling of all authorised individuals into 1 metre distancing at paddock entry, regular testing of everyone for CIVID-19 with isolation premises for anyone testing positive and so on and on.

To have that as the core scenario for motor sport up to 31 August and then to allow large international crowds of spectators on 16/20 September would seem to be more than one small step for mankind...

I hope I'm wrong.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 13:14 (Ref:3982637)   #378
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
d) don't fancy possibly adverse weather in September

Regarding the crowd size restriction: why should it be so difficult to go from 5,000 to, say, 200,000 in the space of three weeks? Back in March we went from unlimited to zero overnight......
Erm... because the issue is points of contact. Imagine if someone working in the food concessions or cleaning the toilets has it and transmits it to hundreds or thousands of attendees and then they go home and spread it.. Then they transmit it to 10s, suddenly you've got 10,000 people positive with it as a minimum, that's the concern. Going the 'other way' reducing contact is a lot easier to manage and regulate. Of course we would all expect 'employees' to take precautions, but it only takes one to infect many.

Unfortunately the message of 'if you feel unwell or think you could possibly have Covid' then self isolate isn't hitting home. People continue to move around and work and it's just too easy to transmit it via subtle, small points of contact. I don't know, maybe some feel they have to carry on regardless or don't actually feel unwell.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 13:20 (Ref:3982638)   #379
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
I've yet to see a race rescheduled subject to specific levels of permitted spectator attendance.
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/5...ona-july-race/

IMSA are doing a trial of this in July at Daytona. 5000 Florida residents permitted. In a way you can't really compare because I don't think they'd previously sold any tickets for this event. But I think we'll start to see this in football and other sports going forward.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 13:31 (Ref:3982640)   #380
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
less people showing up would mean more spots open on campsites = more room for those who are going.....
Old 18 Jun 2020, 13:57 (Ref:3982644)   #381
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
d) don't fancy possibly adverse weather in September
In September 2019 we were basking in what seemed like an extension of high summer. Similar weather in September would boost local attendance.
The fact that schools will be back in September will make it harder for some to get to the race, but people who missed out on early summer flyaway holidays or attending European Grands Prix or Spa 6 Hours may be attracted by the thought of the 24 Heures.

Quote:
Regarding the crowd size restriction: why should it be so difficult to go from 5,000 to, say, 200,000 in the space of three weeks? Back in March we went from unlimited to zero overnight......
It's a perception of risk. despite the example of Italy in the face of COVID-19, other European governments were somewhat slow to confine their populations, with the UK government allowing the Cheltenham festival to go ahead, as well as a football match between top league British and Spanish teams, before introducing restrictions on movement. Now governments , at least in Europe and Asia, perceive the risk of reintroduction of the virus, hence the rejection of the chance to hold Grands Prix in Asia and the softly softly attitude of France and other European governments to the reopening of bars and restaurants, shops and entertainment venues, with customers well spaced from anyone but their immediate circle. Concert halls, theatres and cinemas have at least half their seats marked as unavailable - look at the House of Commons on TV.

If that attitude persists, I certainly don't see the Macron government throwing caution to the winds in September when currently only other European residents are being allowed into France, and that on a limited basis.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 14:02 (Ref:3982646)   #382
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/5...ona-july-race/

IMSA are doing a trial of this in July at Daytona. 5000 Florida residents permitted. In a way you can't really compare because I don't think they'd previously sold any tickets for this event. But I think we'll start to see this in football and other sports going forward.
Thanks!
I wasn't aware of that, but Florida residents only.
Limited to Sarthe residents only, Eric and his brother would be the only members of in our gang allowed in to the 24 Heures
Old 18 Jun 2020, 14:08 (Ref:3982649)   #383
Lutzvic
Racer

Lutzvic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear Gents,

without getting into the politics (nasty it is anyhow) I think all this pessimism comes from the UK(as there are still harsh restrictions)
EU citizens can travel within the Eu already with very small restrictions....here in my country you can visit even football games...etc...
I do think the French government will not undervalue the incomes in tourism...
I hope we can visit the Great Race, maybe wearing mask or similar will be still on place....
Old 18 Jun 2020, 14:40 (Ref:3982655)   #384
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutzvic View Post
Dear Gents,

without getting into the politics (nasty it is anyhow) I think all this pessimism comes from the UK(as there are still harsh restrictions)
EU citizens can travel within the Eu already with very small restrictions....here in my country you can visit even football games...etc...
I do think the French government will not undervalue the incomes in tourism...
I hope we can visit the Great Race, maybe wearing mask or similar will be still on place....
Hi Lutzwig,

Nothing to do with politics, but I'm well aware of what's going on in France - that's where I live.
According to the new EU website Re-open.eu entry to your country is restricted -

only Citizens of Czech Republic, Austria, Germany, Slovakia, Serbia, Slovenia and Croatia are allowed to cross the border without being subject to a mandatory quarantine

but you can come to us:

From 15/6 no compulsory quarantine for travellers from European countries (EU Member States, as well as the principalities of Andorra and Monaco, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Norway, San Marino and Vatican). Voluntary quarantine for travellers from countries demanding it for French travellers, by applying a principle of reciprocity (United Kingdom and Spain)

France is well aware of the financial benefits of tourism, but the government has cautious restrictions in place. I've posted them elsewhere on this thread, so I won't repeat them.

We all want the opportunity to attend the Great Race, and it will take place, but who knows under what restrictions?
Old 18 Jun 2020, 19:04 (Ref:3982698)   #385
Lutzvic
Racer

Lutzvic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Salut Kpy,

one remark: your quotation was updated on 10.06.
No restrictions since 15.06. All EU citizens can enter Hungary. (this is exactly how politic works )
Anyhow, let's be optimistic that we can attend in September. I kept my early bought ticket and I intend to use it
Secretly I do wait for some surprise from Toyota (fastest ever lap in the cooler weather) or from ACO (some extra show ) or even from Rebellion.....to win! It would be great!

Last edited by Lutzvic; 18 Jun 2020 at 19:10.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 19:53 (Ref:3982707)   #386
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutzvic View Post
Salut Kpy,

one remark: your quotation was updated on 10.06.
No restrictions since 15.06. All EU citizens can enter Hungary. (this is exactly how politic works )
Anyhow, let's be optimistic that we can attend in September. I kept my early bought ticket and I intend to use it
Secretly I do wait for some surprise from Toyota (fastest ever lap in the cooler weather) or from ACO (some extra show ) or even from Rebellion.....to win! It would be great!
Salut Lutzvic

Thanks for the update.
A shame that the EU site is not right up to date. I've emailed them to ask them to update.
It would be great to see Rebellion win as they bow out.
Keep up the optimism
Old 18 Jun 2020, 20:57 (Ref:3982717)   #387
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think all the regulars on here would love Rebellion to go out on a high, if they can do it on the virtual 24 hour lets hope they can do it on the real thing, and i also hope Bykolles can do them selves proud.
Old 20 Jun 2020, 11:19 (Ref:3982905)   #388
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Things are moving

https://www.lequipe.fr/Tous-sports/A...uillet/1145062

The stadium will be open to public from the 11th of July with a limit of 5000

Let see how it works. If results are good, we could have a nice news
Old 20 Jun 2020, 11:27 (Ref:3982906)   #389
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Moving in the right direction so let us hope the speed of relaxation enables us to attend in September, still 3 months away.
Old 21 Jun 2020, 19:11 (Ref:3983107)   #390
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Despite I asked for a refund of my tickets I',m looking into buying tickets for september. Lot's of grandstands are still available so no problem there. Funny thing about camping is..... only Beausejour is for sale, WHY? I'm pretty sure other sites have lot's of space left.
Old 21 Jun 2020, 20:11 (Ref:3983114)   #391
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe the ACO haven't taken fully into account yet the tickets they've given refunds on?
Old 21 Jun 2020, 20:18 (Ref:3983117)   #392
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or preparing to limit the amount of spectators?
Old 21 Jun 2020, 20:27 (Ref:3983119)   #393
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep. If they're going to limit numbers, there would be little point in selling additional tickets....
Old 21 Jun 2020, 21:13 (Ref:3983128)   #394
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Maybe the ACO haven't taken fully into account yet the tickets they've given refunds on?
I doubt that, even ACO grandstand had a lot of seats left, usually that sells out the first day.
I do think I will buy tickets, just in case it goes on and they only let ticketholders in. Probably wishfull thinking.
Old 21 Jun 2020, 23:01 (Ref:3983136)   #395
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Finally I took the decision on the 50/50 whether I'd go in September or not. All things considered, it ended up being "not".

Next June hopefully things will be back to normal and I can go again!
Old 21 Jun 2020, 23:13 (Ref:3983141)   #396
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fair play. I can see the conservative approach and it has the benefit of an early decision.
Old 22 Jun 2020, 11:39 (Ref:3983202)   #397
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think it makes sense to hang on another 8 days to see what the ACO have to say.
Old 22 Jun 2020, 11:47 (Ref:3983205)   #398
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I notice that the infection rate has doubled in Germany over the past few days. I'm sure this will inform any decisions going forward.
Old 22 Jun 2020, 11:55 (Ref:3983206)   #399
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
If the same thing happens in France, I guess that'll be end of story as far as we're concerned....
Old 22 Jun 2020, 12:23 (Ref:3983210)   #400
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I am pretty certain that most people with the better campsites tickets will hold onto them and as the aco might have to reduce population density in the sites, they will unlikely sell any further tickets, however Beausjours is a much larger site and i suspect most of the ticket holders there requested refunds.
Closed Thread