Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Apr 2002, 13:39 (Ref:254860)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
VSCC/BRDC Silverstone this weekend

this is not to be missed especially on Sunday where you will see
Formula Junior; BRDC Drum Brake sportscars; Historic Formula Ford pre 66 F1,2 and Tasman as well as Historic Touring Cars.
It is the nearest Silverstone get to a Historic Festival this year. Lets hope it is successful otherwise this will go as well!
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:26 (Ref:261070)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hiding your light under a bushel there, Mr Drabble.

What you didn't mention was the presence of a particularly svelte Alfa Romeo in the Historic Touring Cars race, driven by one S. Drabble.

Looking good, sir.

Not a bad weekend on the whole. I thought the balance of races was a little peculiar though, with 10 on the Saturday, and 6 on the Sunday. Also, for someone whose first love is not small-engined single-seaters, the presence on the Sunday timetable of Formula Junior, Formula Ford and Pre-66 F1 & Tasman cars was not particularly inspiring.

Especially when compared with some of the heavy metal that was so entertaining on the Saturday. Highlight has to have been the gentlemanly chopping between Messrs Jaye, Spollon and Ricketts in the Alta, ERA-Delage and ERA E-Type. First class bit of dicing there, and pretty much worth the entrance money all on its own.

And a 3-wheeler Morgan getting into (and out of) a tank-slapper while trying to out-brake a giant Bentley Special is one of those sights that only the VSCC can provide.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:52 (Ref:261118)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sadly I spent Saturday waiting for my car to be finished and therefore couldn't see the ERA etc.. but that was compensated by the BRDC 50's sportscar race. The noise is superb and they are quick.

I timed Sytner and he was doing 1.05 compared to Graame Dodds very quick Jaguar mk2's 1.12. As for me, well it was my first time out this season and after a winter of driving auto's I was a little more out of form than I realized!!

Also by the last race Luffield was very slippery!!!!!!! pity there were not more saloon cars competing, I think it was organised at the last minute and with HSCC at Donnington the week before and again at Silverstone on the 27th it was too much for some.

I saw a 3 wheel Morgan in the Paddock, the thought of that out in anger on the track is quite something! The specials race before ours I thought pretty entertaining, they were attacking the Luffield complex in great style (probably why it was so greasy afterwards!!!)

An equally great sight was seeing a lot of goggled drivers driving the VSCC cars home afterwards, it was very stylish!
Old 15 Apr 2002, 15:22 (Ref:261199)   #4
Stoffer Green
Rookie

Stoffer Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon
Your Alfa looked great and went well, very smartly driven, we thought. Shame about the small field, but the dice at the back between the Dauphine-Gordini and the Sunbeam Rapier was hilarious, although it got a bit frightening when the Jaguar came up behind them and they had no idea that he was there. I think the leader lapped them 3 times and you must passed them twice at least. Where is your next outing?
I can't think why there were only six races on the Sunday, but more to the point is why Octagon/Silverstone don't seem to want any more Vintage or Historic races this year.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 15:48 (Ref:261216)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

thanks for the compliment, its just a shame that you and I have to leave Hampshire to go to Silverstone for the action, politics do not allow Thruxton to hold HSCC meetings it seems!
Silverstone have an HSCC meeting on the 27th but you are right to lose the Historic Festival is very sad as that was such a great meeting and Oulton Park is a long way!
The Sunbeam Rapier / Dauphine-Gordini duel was I gather the subject of some amusing commentary! The first time I went between them coming up to Copse and hoped that they had seen me, fortunately they had!

Next out at the HSCC meeting at Silverstone on the 27th and then May 5/6 at Donnington for Top Hat and GTA Challenge then the season is up and running for the Summer!

It was the first VSCC meeting I have attended in any capacity for a very long time and I thought it was a great day but everyone tells me Saturday was even better!
Old 16 Apr 2002, 14:21 (Ref:262159)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

I have now got my website up and running which will have this seasons photos etc as and when they are available. address is www.swd-historicracing.co.uk
Old 16 Apr 2002, 14:53 (Ref:262191)   #7
Stoffer Green
Rookie

Stoffer Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon
By chance I was just looking at it! If you would look at www.aysedasi.btinternet.co.uk you will see some photographs that I took at Le Mans in 1957 - long before either you or your car were born. Aysedasi is one the guys who looks after the sports car forum on ten-tenths and is gradually being weaned into the historic side of Le Mans. I hope that he will come to the Historic Le Mans meeting in September, where my brother W****e Green is driving.
Clearly, neither of us has nothing much to do on a nice sunny afternoon in Hampshire.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 15:47 (Ref:262253)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

sadly I have to come upto London each day to do this! I took a quick look at your photo's as that is my favourite era. I have several frds who race in the BRDC 50s sportscar and Gentlemen's Drivers races and they seem to have a lot of fun. Longer term I would like to move to that series but the budget starts to get a little serious at that point! Certainly they were the high point of Sunday. The Historic Le Mans sounds fantastic although I dont think I will be able to get away with going as the misses will only tolerate so many weekends away!!!!