Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Feb 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2399038)   #251
Mike Wroe
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Lincs
Mike Wroe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And heres a few more
Attached Thumbnails
image014.jpg   image016.jpg   image018.jpg  

Old 19 Feb 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2400459)   #252
Flyingfox_01
Rookie

Flyingfox_01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks very nice Mike

The early picture shows how TVR Griffith were in period.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2400657)   #253
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
which period?
Old 24 Feb 2009, 03:41 (Ref:2402879)   #254
Moby
Rookie

Moby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just as a matter of interest I am just about to get rid of the original bonnet from my Griffith, with the frame intact. Would be excellent to make a mould from. Any offers?

Hope this is allowed John?
Old 24 Feb 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2402970)   #255
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think, under the circs, we can allow it. Hope that someone takes this item; must be worth putting aside.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2403456)   #256
Flyingfox_01
Rookie

Flyingfox_01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a brand new Bonnet and Body mould the correct size.
Old 3 Mar 2009, 16:00 (Ref:2408200)   #257
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfox_01 View Post
I've got a brand new Bonnet and Body mould the correct size.
Mike - Great pic's. PM'd you. Jelly.
Old 5 Mar 2009, 15:39 (Ref:2409649)   #258
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey

Seems the Garlic Munchers have succeeded in Hammering the FIA Griff racers into submission (i.e. making their cars a lot slower) so the Cobra's, E-Types and Ferrari's can win a lot easier! Oooh What a surprise.

They really don’t want the little plastic cars to ever win – they want them to just quietly disappear…………

From Moby: FIA made a ruling in Paris the week before last to the effect that Griffiths have to run with no modifications to the bonnet, (no vents etc, bar the two lower thin ones below the main opening) and are not allowed to run extended wheel arches at all. This will mean standard Grantura / Griffith rear archs.

+ they have said the max wheel size is 6” SIX INCHES (with over 400bhp and stoneage tyres)!!!

Some upside is they appear to be looking at the Cobras and E-Types too.

Means the huge list of rims / tyre widths that could be run in the original papers, can no longer be run (as they will simply not fit under a std Griff rear arch).
I think most fia Griffs up to now have been running on 8” rims (under the flared arches) and the correspondingly much wider tyres. With 6” and much narrower rubber (and effective track) they will be Murdered presumably, in potential cornering.
Presume this no vents in the bonnet will mean no 3x GTO type vents or the louves at the back of the bonnet or the raising and having Open bonnet bulge? Will Webbers even fit under the std small bulge (Not sure webbers were ever run on these things pre 66? - Maybe a backhanded way to stop Webbers and further have them detuned?). So no cool air to the carbs even if you can get the bonnet down on whatever carbs you are running! Plus the only venting of the hot under bonnet is going to be the two small side vents!!

Mind you all this makes my car (as it is at the moment) alot closer to fia!! i.e. my car has a totally original bonnet (so early it does not even have the 2 thin lower vents!) and std width rear! Ok I could mod it how I like with all the louves and holes etc in the bonnet and the wide arches – but seems a bit pointless now. I’m sure I can somehow squeeze some 7” rims with the right offset under a std rear arch (well I’ll bloody try!).
So all I’d have to do is build the 289 to Full race! I have the right block and heads. I have the right (new) discs and calipers from Cambridge MS and the fragile front uprights.
God they (the FIA) really don’t like JACK’s Budget Rockets...........
-------------------------------------------------------------

So much for all the hard work by many that had tried to or actually had shown that all these mods were run in period (fia don't obviously give a flying ....).
Old 5 Mar 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2409651)   #259
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
out of interest when does that take effect? Will this mean that Jamie Boot wont fly passed me quite so quickly in future?
Old 5 Mar 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2409657)   #260
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
out of interest when does that take effect? Will this mean that Jamie Boot wont fly passed me quite so quickly in future?
What do you Drive? Not 100% sure - but fairly sure, this will be FROM NOW or effectivley the start of the 09 racing season (i.e. get your hands in your wallets!!).

Loads of the cars are having the mods done now as I'm sure Flyingfox_01 will confirm

I had heard that many are having whole new bodies and bonnets done just because of this!!!!!!!??

Surely this is just cutting the wide arch off and puting on a molded section to the original shape in its place?) - Christ there is so much to building the body tub right. Surely the same for the bonnet (maybe slightly less so). But does begger the question how many cars are actually out there racing with an bonnet and tub that came out of the Griffith factory!?

I have a new chassis - but that is only due to the original turning to dust (have pics of the body on the old one and the new one taken at the same time), just make you think how much of some of these cars are original or at least modded fro racing FROM the original parts!!
Old 5 Mar 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2409663)   #261
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jamie is a front runner in Guards Trophy which is the HSCC FIA series. I guess he coudl just move to the Road Sports one and then run on Yoki's as well...
Old 5 Mar 2009, 16:25 (Ref:2409672)   #262
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Jamie is a front runner in Guards Trophy which is the HSCC FIA series. I guess he coudl just move to the Road Sports one and then run on Yoki's as well...
Off topic. But the HSCC have alway bugged me for allowing virtually NO mods to a car (no Webbers if the car was Originally Fuel injection) and steel panels.

Yep Jamie Boot could presumably do both HSCC race series - but his car has an engine that has so much power surely he would win every race.

+The FIA HSCC series has Proper Road type Sportscar like the Griff in with Proper Race track only 2 litre Chron type thing which to me seem wrong (they are so different and should not be in the same race).

ANYWAY we are gtting off my Favorite Subject here!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

BACK TO GRIFFS
Old 5 Mar 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2409725)   #263
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About time the FIA did start taking a forward step! Webbers will not fit under the standard bonnet.This really is good news for the owners of the more standard cars,it was good enough for Gerry.Now it's down to driver ability,not shear grunt!! Should be some good results for those with the balls to drive em propper.
Old 5 Mar 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2409758)   #264
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
An it has to look like this.............
No this is 1991 when Julian Balme and Mick Walsh CLASSIC AND SPORTSCAR wrote a nice story on racing v8s - day of thunder v8 sportscar battle- . This car was already in this thread being Roger Connells car. In those days he did beat Des Cassidy and John Atkins in Cobras in this ..so it is possible? (then what happens to all these flying Cobras these days) so FIA scuts you got still an agenda full of work
Anyway nice car like Roger Connells ,,,,,wouldnt mind racing one like that, could still be fast then!
Attached Thumbnails
trevor1.jpg  
Old 5 Mar 2009, 18:40 (Ref:2409768)   #265
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
an if anyone starts complaining you cant see the ..rs. the arches are like my Grantura!
Attached Thumbnails
trevor2_0001.jpg  
Old 5 Mar 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2409899)   #266
1800TISA
Rookie

European Union
Munich, Germany
1800TISA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice thread! Just for info, these are some pictures of the Griffith entered as "Intermeccanica-Ford Griffith 200" by Breyer/Kramer in the 1966 Zeltweg 500km World Sportscar Championship race in Austria. By unknown reason the car did not start the race. Nice wire wheels tough.

Picture source: www.motorsportarchiv.at
Old 5 Mar 2009, 22:46 (Ref:2409969)   #267
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
Seems the Garlic Munchers have succeeded in Hammering the FIA Griff racers into submission (i.e. making their cars a lot slower) so the Cobra's, E-Types and Ferrari's can win a lot easier! Oooh What a surprise.

They really don’t want the little plastic cars to ever win – they want them to just quietly disappear…………

From Moby: FIA made a ruling in Paris the week before last to the effect that Griffiths have to run with no modifications to the bonnet, (no vents etc, bar the two lower thin ones below the main opening) and are not allowed to run extended wheel arches at all. This will mean standard Grantura / Griffith rear archs.

+ they have said the max wheel size is 6” SIX INCHES (with over 400bhp and stoneage tyres)!!!

Some upside is they appear to be looking at the Cobras and E-Types too.

Means the huge list of rims / tyre widths that could be run in the original papers, can no longer be run (as they will simply not fit under a std Griff rear arch).
I think most fia Griffs up to now have been running on 8” rims (under the flared arches) and the correspondingly much wider tyres. With 6” and much narrower rubber (and effective track) they will be Murdered presumably, in potential cornering.
Presume this no vents in the bonnet will mean no 3x GTO type vents or the louves at the back of the bonnet or the raising and having Open bonnet bulge? Will Webbers even fit under the std small bulge (Not sure webbers were ever run on these things pre 66? - Maybe a backhanded way to stop Webbers and further have them detuned?). So no cool air to the carbs even if you can get the bonnet down on whatever carbs you are running! Plus the only venting of the hot under bonnet is going to be the two small side vents!!

Mind you all this makes my car (as it is at the moment) alot closer to fia!! i.e. my car has a totally original bonnet (so early it does not even have the 2 thin lower vents!) and std width rear! Ok I could mod it how I like with all the louves and holes etc in the bonnet and the wide arches – but seems a bit pointless now. I’m sure I can somehow squeeze some 7” rims with the right offset under a std rear arch (well I’ll bloody try!).
So all I’d have to do is build the 289 to Full race! I have the right block and heads. I have the right (new) discs and calipers from Cambridge MS and the fragile front uprights.
God they (the FIA) really don’t like JACK’s Budget Rockets...........
-------------------------------------------------------------

So much for all the hard work by many that had tried to or actually had shown that all these mods were run in period (fia don't obviously give a flying ....).
Quite right too! As you can see Griffs didn't have louvres in the bonnet or extended wheel arches in period.

Below a young Mr Marshall at Brands supposedly in 66 and hence period G rather than period F

Let us just hope that the same rigour is applied to other marques and that it is enforced..........

BTW do these rules apply to French/German TVRs or only British ones?

Old 6 Mar 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2410106)   #268
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont like the rear end styling though! Front springs must be a tad softer than those used these days.:laugh
[Stop being cynical Richard,they apply to ALL cars]
Old 6 Mar 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2410145)   #269
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Few things.

The FIA could not care about the Gerry pic's cos they are 66 or later. That car has the 3 GTO duct which they ahve now said no to. No hole in the bonnet for fresh air.

The slatted lourves at the back of the bonnet (not sure on these I am going to check all my individual car folders to see if on the road ones - are the on yours FISC?). My car is such and early one as to not even have the lower horizontal slats below the rad opening, or the rear lourves (think mine is just a Grantura bonnet as the first 3 cars were actually Granturas with all the mechanicals made to fit. Think they added more holes / vents lourves after mine (the 3rd of the first 3 cars).

Now check pic's of road cars (and yours Fisc) yep the back louved vents are there. I'll have to get these added and the front slats!

As for Webbers - yep I doubt they will fit, IF the engine is in the std place! You could lower it a tad and fit shorter ram pipes and you might get them in.

Things is regardless of what was availible from the factory (and I do not think Webbers were and option - a twin 4 choke holley set up was - see The Griff years for the factory options pictures). Cobra's can run webbers so why not any other 289 car! More favoritisum for the loved Marques!

I think a holley (if the right one can flow enough air - maybe not a 650cfm) for the engine. You have to remember the heads can only flow as much as there porting allows, if a carb can potentially flow more than the max the head has been worked to provide it will not actually do anything!

There was a special Holley made for a limited run of Shelby Mustangs in the mid to late 60's that is pretty trick and bloody hard to get hold of at 715cfm which I think is about right for a larger or std size but really tuned race engine.

The webbers are shown on the car in the fia homo! doc with no big bulge (std) so they can fit, but the ram pipes are v.short and the filtering looks odd and squashed.

As for the tyres. I kind of agree on the no big arches - BUT, I think they have come up with the 6" rim figure just by pulling it out of the air - i.e. give the plastic pigs 6"'s and that will slow them right down vs the Cobras that can run MUCH wider ones. Basically they are hammering the Griff with the same engine as a Cobra in the engine (induction) AND in the tyre width - just so they can't compete.

I think 7"'s will just about go under the arches. they should have gone for 7. But ha that is not keeping the plastic pigs DOWN.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 09:09 (Ref:2410147)   #270
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Oh forgot, on Rogers car (from the above pic's). His car is not a 289. It is a 302, and runs alloy heads. So although externally his could be fia compliant, then engine is not. Mind not that there is that much different, few 100 cc's and 4 bolt vs 2 bolt mains. The heads do save 20kg high on the engine though.

His car makes about 400bhp (I know this cos I race him and talk about this, cos I have one). His car has 6" rims (with 205/60/15 Yoko's same as I run) and can't get near my "Mildly" tuned TR6, murders it on the straights but over a lap no chance

Mind Roger is 70 odd! Top bloke. See my movie of the 6 vs Rogers car much earlierin the thread
Old 6 Mar 2009, 11:33 (Ref:2410250)   #271
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I certainly agree that if they are slowing the Griffs down to get them closer to original spec performance, then they should be looking at some of the E-types and Cobras. Without addressing those as well, surely the FIA, rather than evening out the playing field (as they see it), have merely tilted it in the opposite direction. But, what do I know?!

I've been watching Roger Connell race his TVR more years than I care to remember, and it's great that he still brings it out at the age of 70.

Now ..... about those chassis numbers.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2410308)   #272
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems to me that you're getting the number unobtainable tone John. Make of that what you will but surely its in everyone's interest to have an archive of the chassis numbers and owners, which can be updated as cars move around.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2410311)   #273
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Agree, Peter. Come on, guys!
Old 6 Mar 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2410344)   #274
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper View Post
an if anyone starts complaining you cant see the ..rs. the arches are like my Grantura!
The more I look at the back of Rogers car (even though mine is the older Grantura early 200 Rear), I am sure I will get 7 inches rims in there with no messing with the arches (they can at least run 225's). Roger is only on 205/60's with all that power!

Good view of the back of Rogers car! http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90866912&hl=en
Old 6 Mar 2009, 13:21 (Ref:2410360)   #275
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Issue with chassis number is that they are closely guarded by the custodian of the Griff name in the US Mike Mooney.

I can dip feed a few bits in on cars I have pics and info from the last few years.

Here is a well know FIA car that has raced lot in Europe 400-5-002 - was for sale last year for £90k. No idea if it sold. Was owned then by Macel Roks.

Above have the big rear flares / fat rear rims and presumably on a Holley here before the Bonkers bonnet bod below to go Webbered!!!!

More later