Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 Jan 2011, 03:05 (Ref:2816596)   #1
Corktree
Rookie

United States
Corktree should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AvGas

I have managed to displace my orignal notes regarding the CSI and its changes to the fuel to be used by the Formule Internationale beginning with the 1958 season.

I recall that the announcement was made at the Fall meeting of the CSI, which means probably October, but it seems that the original announcement was for the use of premium gasoline, being defined as the "best" available (highest Octane) fuel in that country. Given that the Championnat du Monde des Marques (World Championship of Marques) and the Formule Internationale No. 2 both required the use of such gasoline and did not use AvGas, I was never quite able to pin down exactly why the Formule Internationale regs ended up with the fuel being AvGas. Plus, it seems that there was some confusion regarding the fuel until some point either into the 1958 season or just before the season began.

All this is a minor point, but I am having trouble tracking this down. I am particularly interested in having references and not the usual anecdotal say-so.

Also, for the information of some might be unaware of this, please realize that the regulations for the Formule Internationale and the Championnat du Monde des Conducteurs (World Championship of Drivers) were two very distinct and separate sets of regulations, something that would be the case until the 1981 season.