Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 6 Mar 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3035978)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2013 World Rally Championship

I'd root for a 13/14-round World Rally Championship calendar with 8 European races and 5/6 non-European races. Something like this:

Europe:

o- Monte Carlo
o- Sweden
o- Finland
o- Corsica-Sardinia
o- Great Britain
o- Greece
o- Alsace-Palatinate
o- extra tarmac round (Spain, Russia, whatever)

Non Europe:

o- Argentina
o- North America
o- Australia / New Zealand
o- Japan
o- One or two extra rounds in Africa and/or Asia

However, Autosport reports that teams want exactly the opposite: most of the rounds in Europe and a couple in the Americas.

I mean, if they want to race in Europe, then why do a World Championship?
Old 7 Apr 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3054984)   #2
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I mean, if they want to race in Europe, then why do a World Championship?
Well, lots of so called world championships are somewhat Eurocentric, have always been, an artefact of the history of motor racing I guess.

Anyway, I heard some speculation that Citroen have been making some moves in the background saying 'if you [FIA] want us to stay in this championship, this is what we want' and I suspect some of what they want would be more rallies in their main market place. Who knows whether Ford will be around next season in a works capacity, that perceived uncertainty probably strengthens their hand but then again Toyota may be coming back in.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 01:33 (Ref:3055122)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Well, lots of so called world championships are somewhat Eurocentric, have always been, an artefact of the history of motor racing I guess.
Yes of course, that fact is what I'm criticising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Citroen have been making some moves in the background
I'm sure of that.

The manufacturer I'm really missing is Abarth. I guess (and hope) that they are waiting to launch the next-gen Punto, which was delayed to 2014 if I'm not mistaken.
Old 4 May 2012, 17:22 (Ref:3069416)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
As you have heared, the FIA is considering South Africa (Durban) and Brazil (Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro or Ciritiba) to add an extra non-European round to the 2013 World Rally Championship calendar. The WRC Commission will discuss the calendar next week.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 03:08 (Ref:3091223)   #5
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to autoklub.pl, there will be 13 rounds next year with only one change, i.e. AUS will swap with NZ, thus Brasil or RSA will need to wait until 2014
Either way, only three of the organizers have signed the contract up to date.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 08:43 (Ref:3091305)   #6
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a great calendar - I'd cut it to 10 rounds, saving money, then wait until things pick up. The sport is nowhere near as big as they all think. C'mon, get real.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 14:05 (Ref:3091471)   #7
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calander as expected no great shocks there. How are they going to get round the contract thing? If events refuse to sign what happens then?

On another point I seem to recall the new promotor was supposed to be annouced today (15th June) or did I imagine that. I assume they either haven't got one or it'll be annouced later today maybe?
Old 15 Jun 2012, 22:20 (Ref:3091656)   #8
kober
Racer

Press Release WMSC 15/06/2012
Quote:
Following the call for Expression of Interest launched earlier this year to promote the WRC, and the assessment of the numerous bids received, a shortlist of candidates has been established. Final discussions with those candidates are currently being conducted with a view to establishing the best possible platform for the promotion of the FIA World Rally Championship. A final recommendation will be presented to the World Motor Sport Council in September at the latest.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3139320)   #9
kober
Racer

The calendar is up. New Zealand have been replaced by Australia and moved to September. Sardinia moved to June and will be the last rally before the summer break. And finally, Wales moved to November, where it should be.
Quote:
January 15/20 - Rallye Monte-Carlo (Monaco, asphalt / snow)
February 7/10 - Rally Sweden (Sweden, gravel / snow)
March 7/10 - Rally Guanajuato México (Mexico, gravel)
April 11/14 - Vodafone Rally de Portugal (Portugal, gravel)
May 2/5 - Rally Argentina (Argentina, gravel)
May 30/June 2- Acropolis Rally of Greece (Greece, gravel)
June 20/23 - Rally d´Italia (Italy, gravel)
August 1/3 - Neste Oil Rally Finland (Finland, gravel)
August 22/25 - ADAC Rallye Deutschland (Germany, asphalt)
September 12/15 - Rally Australia (Australia, gravel)
October 3/6 - Rallye de France Alsace (France, asphalt)
October 24/27 - RallyRACC Catalunya-Costa Daurada Rally de España (Spain, asphalt)
November 14/17 - Wales Rally GB (Great Britain, gravel)
I'm already looking forward to the 81st Monte Carlo Rally, which will be run in a similar format to this year's
Old 21 Sep 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3139594)   #10
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
Hmm, yet again the F1 calendar is released and the WRC will suffer – and the event with the biggest problems; RallyGB.
The US GP at Austin is the same weekend; 17th November. The RallyGB organisers need to insist that for the event to receive decent press/ Promtion (if that’s possible) clashing with F1 is hurting it, and to be moved to after the F1 season.
Once upon a time, the British WRC round attracted the majority of the F1 writers, and a number of Racing drivers – simply unable to happen.
RallyGB should be the final major Motorsport event of the various FiA World Championships.

Last edited by ArnageWRC; 21 Sep 2012 at 11:47.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 18:08 (Ref:3139698)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Those 13 races are very good. But I'd like to have Japan back. And I'd love a Corsica-Sardinia race like I said before.

Austin is much later than Rally GB, it's not an actual clash.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 21:16 (Ref:3139735)   #12
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
Quote:
Those 13 races are very good. But I'd like to have Japan back. And I'd love a Corsica-Sardinia race like I said before.

Austin is much later than Rally GB, it's not an actual clash.
It's the same weekend - therefore the British Motorsport press will be over in Austin.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 15:02 (Ref:3140365)   #13
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
By the way, Michele Mouton visited Perú to evaluate a WRC round near Cusco.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3141136)   #14
kober
Racer

Quote:
By the way, Michele Mouton visited Perú to evaluate a WRC round near Cusco.
She'll be in Poland this weekend, at the 69th Rally Poland - maybe FIA is evaluating this event too. Why not? In terms of tradition, only Monte Carlo Rally has been running longer - the first Rally Poland was run in 1921.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 15:34 (Ref:3143262)   #15
kober
Racer

What about dropping "calendar" form the topic title?

In other (official) news: Red Bull Media House to become new global promoter of the WRC

Quote:
... FIA to proceed with an agreement with The Sportsman Media Group & Red Bull Media House to become the new global promoter of the WRC
Quote:
The Promoter will be responsible for investing and developing the WRC with a view to increasing its profile, reputation and commercial value
Quote:
the Promoter, working in close collaboration with the FIA, will be focused on introducing live TV & an innovative digital media strategy
Old 28 Sep 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3143446)   #16
kober
Racer

If you haven't seen _it_ yet (seriously?), here's the round up of WRC changes:

WRC: no need for the latest evo of homologated parts for the non-scoring (in manufactures' championship) entries; only one non-European event required for Teams; "gravel crews" for everybody on tarmac rallies

WRC-2: separate titles for 4WD including S2000 (2.0/1.6), R5, R4; seven rallies required, best six results counted

WRC-3: separate titles for 2WD: R3, R2, R1; six rallies required, best five results counted

Junior WRC: new name for the WRC Academy
Old 29 Sep 2012, 13:17 (Ref:3143716)   #17
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
So, the WRC-2 has 4WD cars in the S2000, R5, R5 and N4 classes.

And the WRC-3 has 2WD cars in the R3, R2 and R1 classes.

That's really confusing! How about WR-A, WR-B and WR-C?

And what's the point of a World Championship where teams leave Europe only once?
Old 29 Sep 2012, 19:40 (Ref:3143872)   #18
Vepe
Rookie

Finland
Vepe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And what's the point of a World Championship where teams leave Europe only once?
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's Manufacturer Teams (Citroen, Ford, VW, Mini?) who have to run in all races, and then there's WRC Teams (like Citroen Junior, Adapta) who have to run min. 7 race with one outside of Europe.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3144312)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
That's true, Vepe. But if these privateers don't want to race outside Europe, they should run the IRC / ERC.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3144583)   #20
Vepe
Rookie

Finland
Vepe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's true, Vepe. But if these privateers don't want to race outside Europe, they should run the IRC / ERC.
I see your point, but in IRC/ERC they can't run with WRC-cars. And I believe most of them will race outside of Europe, as they have done so far.

Maybe the lower limit is to attract more of these non-factory teams like Van Merksteijn, to enter as WRC-team instead of entering single events.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3145435)   #21
kober
Racer

There's some speculation, by wrc.com, that Loeb might change his mind and take a shot at the 2013 WC title, if he's in a good position after a few rallies.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 23:05 (Ref:3145459)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
There's some speculation, by wrc.com, that Loeb might change his mind and take a shot at the 2013 WC title, if he's in a good position after a few rallies.
He might as well.

I'm a big fan and enjoy watching him. He's just on another level.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3145484)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Loeb needs a Juampa Montoya, a Will Power.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 08:02 (Ref:3145605)   #24
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
I saw this point mentioned on another forum and it certainly seems feasible, doesn't it? Do you think Citroen (and/or Loeb) could be worried about the VW/Ogier threat?

By annoucing he is only running a partial season, if we get a couple of rallies into 2013 and he is getting thrashed, then Loeb can walk away from the rest of the season as "that was always the plan". If they find that Loeb/the DS3 is still on top, then they move from a part time to a full time season.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3145819)   #25
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see where Hyundai is to come back to the WRC in 2014.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103032