Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Jan 2021, 20:30 (Ref:4026810)   #1276
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it'll start as scheduled - remember we ran brands hatch in october under the same restrictions. particularly since the plans will have everyone in a vulnerable situation vaccinated and many will have immunity by the time the season starts.

the reason it was all cancelled and we were all properly grounded last march was because we were in a brand new situation and didn't have strategies in workplaces to mitigate the spread of the virus. we've got those now, including a solid testing structure. many of us have been under the new restrictions for a week or so anyway.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 20:35 (Ref:4026814)   #1277
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
August would be my uneducated stab in the dark.
Night race ?
Old 4 Jan 2021, 20:47 (Ref:4026817)   #1278
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it'll start as scheduled - remember we ran brands hatch in october under the same restrictions. particularly since the plans will have everyone in a vulnerable situation vaccinated and many will have immunity by the time the season starts.

the reason it was all cancelled and we were all properly grounded last march was because we were in a brand new situation and didn't have strategies in workplaces to mitigate the spread of the virus. we've got those now, including a solid testing structure. many of us have been under the new restrictions for a week or so anyway.
I would suggest the PM may have jjust "Andy Neate'd" that idea to some degree.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 21:00 (Ref:4026821)   #1279
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I would suggest the PM may have jjust "Andy Neate'd" that idea to some degree.
the guidelines still allow for work for the elite sports thing (and for those on the "pathway" which is an interesting concept for the rest of motorsport), so yes and no. it's covered under travelling for work as well.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 21:42 (Ref:4026829)   #1280
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elite sports can continue. Only way the season start will be delayed is for commercial reasons - if Gow thinks hospitality could resume at a later point and it therefore secures more driver's budgets.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 22:57 (Ref:4026846)   #1281
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I suggested some pages back that they should consider delaying the season by a couple of months, at least then there would be some chance of spectators being able to attend, so start in June instead of April.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 07:51 (Ref:4026894)   #1282
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

In an ideal world yes, but listening to a virologist earlier, there is concern that the South African variant might not be covered by the current vaccine and although the current vaccine can be adapted that takes around 6 weeks and will then need to be tested for effectiveness. If that SA variant were to hit the UK and take hold, it could add to the vaccine period and this virus (like others) mutuates to 'survive' which we can see in the Kent strain that has hit us harder than the original strain.

Trying to predict any of this is like nailing jelly to a wall, what we do know though is that timescales can slip and extra weeks turn into months.

If I were TOCA, I would pre-empt this and look at the later starting, compact 2020 style calendar. I would move the season start right out of the Spring start to early Summer - move it two months ( as Sodemo suggests). Many more people will have been vaccinated by them and it should have trickled down into the middle aged.

I would do this now, so everyone else can re-jig their calendar accordingly.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 08:24 (Ref:4026897)   #1283
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
In an ideal world yes, but listening to a virologist earlier, there is concern that the South African variant might not be covered by the current vaccine and although the current vaccine can be adapted that takes around 6 weeks and will then need to be tested for effectiveness. If that SA variant were to hit the UK and take hold, it could add to the vaccine period and this virus (like others) mutuates to 'survive' which we can see in the Kent strain that has hit us harder than the original strain.

Trying to predict any of this is like nailing jelly to a wall, what we do know though is that timescales can slip and extra weeks turn into months.

If I were TOCA, I would pre-empt this and look at the later starting, compact 2020 style calendar. I would move the season start right out of the Spring start to early Summer - move it two months ( as Sodemo suggests). Many more people will have been vaccinated by them and it should have trickled down into the middle aged.

I would do this now, so everyone else can re-jig their calendar accordingly.
No need to worry, according to some on here sorting out a vaccine is a couple of days work....
Old 5 Jan 2021, 09:03 (Ref:4026905)   #1284
medius
Veteran

England
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spot on moneyseeker, I also think this season will be stunted as per 2020. Delayed started, condensed calendar and no spectators in till summer at the earliest and those will be limited capacity. Nothing to be gained by delaying the inevitable decisions to be made.

Plan for the worst but hope for the best.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4026925)   #1285
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should keep the season as planned atm. People just need to still realise Hands Face Space is said for a reason! Most of these teams don't just pop up for 6 months. They employ people all year round. If last season was completed without major complications once it started then the organisers should be happy for this season to start on time.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 12:56 (Ref:4026947)   #1286
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The lockdown is only till the middle of February, the season doesn’t start to spring. So we will see where we are come February
Old 5 Jan 2021, 13:09 (Ref:4026954)   #1287
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The lockdown is only till the middle of February, the season doesn’t start to spring. So we will see where we are come February

Totally agree plus this time things are a lot different with having the vaccine roll out.

There is light at the end of tunnel now.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 13:52 (Ref:4026968)   #1288
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I've heard a few people refer to the lockdown confirmed as ending in February - and wonder where this information has come from?

From what I have read, schools in England will remain closed until at least half-term, which is 15-19 February for most.

The review of the lockdown is scheduled for 15th Feburary, not the end of lockdown itself. I have seen the following on gov.uk yesterday - 'The restrictions will come into effect tomorrow, and are expected to last until the middle of February if the situation in hospitals improve. '

The most important word there is 'if'.....

(not wanting to be doom and gloom - just managing expectations)
Old 5 Jan 2021, 13:53 (Ref:4026969)   #1289
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Did I say it would definitely be ending then? No. I just said atm that’s when it will run to at least
Old 5 Jan 2021, 14:26 (Ref:4026977)   #1290
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Gove is saying some restrictions may be eased in March at the earliest and even this is based on vaccinating 13M people in 7 weeks...

Which is why if I were TOCA, I would not be waiting until the end of February, I would assume that timescales will slip (government timescales always do) and act accordingly.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 14:38 (Ref:4026983)   #1291
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Gove is saying some restrictions may be eased in March at the earliest and even this is based on vaccinating 13M people in 7 weeks...

Which is why if I were TOCA, I would not be waiting until the end of February, I would assume that timescales will slip (government timescales always do) and act accordingly.
Why?

There are NO restrictions on working - only on social mixing.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 14:45 (Ref:4026986)   #1292
medius
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Why?

There are NO restrictions on working - only on social mixing.
Marshals are the key.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 14:51 (Ref:4026988)   #1293
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
They should keep the season as planned atm. People just need to still realise Hands Face Space is said for a reason! Most of these teams don't just pop up for 6 months. They employ people all year round. If last season was completed without major complications once it started then the organisers should be happy for this season to start on time.
i agree with you about it starting as normal, but the rest of your post is not necessarily true. not sure about btcc but in general the number one is usually full time, the number twos weekend and many engineers are event only, likewise most truckies outside gt.

we all took a significant financial hit last year. another extra long off season and i think the sport is going to be at an even bigger risk than normal of losing skilled, experienced people at all levels to steady jobs where you're home every night.

last year was hard, the sport is hard to work in anyway, but last year was particularly mentally exhausting for a lot of people. everyone i know was ready to commit grisly murder at least 2 months earlier than usual in a season that took 3 months off in the middle
Old 5 Jan 2021, 14:51 (Ref:4026990)   #1294
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Marshals are the key.

Possibly a good point, but they could just pay them, like on test days. Wouldn’t be a big cost overall. Would that work?
Old 5 Jan 2021, 16:01 (Ref:4027005)   #1295
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Marshals are the key.
We adopted a whole raft of changes to what was previously "normal" last year. Electronic sign-on in the week preceding the event, no guest tickets, vastly reduced (in BTCC terms) numbers per post, mandatory face coverings trackside/in the pit lane, no paddock access, no pit garage access, no entry to race admin/control buildings unless previously agreed, approaching stranded/broken/crashed cars from the front, thumbs up to the driver, reporting response to race control... the list goes on.

It was basically "keep apart from each other, keep apart from the drivers, only get close in absolutely dire circumstances but wear a face covering and gloves, use hand sanitiser regularly" etc etc. It was a bit weird, it wasn't the sociable hobby we're all used to and it felt a bit flat at points.

But: Across the UK we managed to get seasons completed for pretty much every championship and trophy series, plus a load of club events, to my knowledge not a single person contracted COVID at an event.

I guess we'll just repeat what we did this year, not being complacent.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 16:15 (Ref:4027009)   #1296
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
We adopted a whole raft of changes to what was previously "normal" last year. Electronic sign-on in the week preceding the event, no guest tickets, vastly reduced (in BTCC terms) numbers per post, mandatory face coverings trackside/in the pit lane, no paddock access, no pit garage access, no entry to race admin/control buildings unless previously agreed, approaching stranded/broken/crashed cars from the front, thumbs up to the driver, reporting response to race control... the list goes on.

It was basically "keep apart from each other, keep apart from the drivers, only get close in absolutely dire circumstances but wear a face covering and gloves, use hand sanitiser regularly" etc etc. It was a bit weird, it wasn't the sociable hobby we're all used to and it felt a bit flat at points.

But: Across the UK we managed to get seasons completed for pretty much every championship and trophy series, plus a load of club events, to my knowledge not a single person contracted COVID at an event.

I guess we'll just repeat what we did this year, not being complacent.
All great but the current restrictions only don’t apply to working, and marshalling isn’t that so the point is that under the new laws you couldn’t leave home to do it.

Unless it was accepted as “work” which maybe could bring in all sorts of issues, although I’m not sure.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 16:29 (Ref:4027012)   #1297
S griffin
Veteran

The last BTCC race of 2020 took place under the November lockdown
Old 5 Jan 2021, 16:33 (Ref:4027014)   #1298
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
All great but the current restrictions only don’t apply to working, and marshalling isn’t that so the point is that under the new laws you couldn’t leave home to do it.

Unless it was accepted as “work” which maybe could bring in all sorts of issues, although I’m not sure.
I read the Government explanation about whet we can & cannot do during this new lockdown, here is what I think is the important bit that makes me believe that you would be allowed to leave home to do it as a volunteer:
"You must not leave or be outside of your home except where you have a ‘reasonable excuse’. This will be put in law. The police can take action against you if you leave home without a ‘reasonable excuse’, and issue you with a fine (Fixed Penalty Notice).

You can be given a Fixed Penalty Notice of £200 for the first offence, doubling for further offences up to a maximum of £6,400.

A ‘reasonable excuse’ includes:

Work - you can only leave home for work purposes where it is unreasonable for you to do your job from home, including but not limited to people who work within critical national infrastructure, construction or manufacturing that require in-person attendance
Volunteering - you can also leave home to provide voluntary or charitable services."

The full article is available here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national...can-leave-home
Old 5 Jan 2021, 16:35 (Ref:4027015)   #1299
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

From gov.uk:

'Where and when you can meet in larger groups
There are still circumstances in which you are allowed to meet others from outside your household, childcare or support bubble in larger groups, but this should not be for socialising and only for permitted purposes. A full list of these circumstances will be included in the regulations, and includes:

for work, or providing voluntary or charitable services, where it is unreasonable to do so from home.'

And given that Elite Sport is permitted to continue, the guidance on facilitating Elite Sport is relevant, which defines an Elite Sport user group as:
'The essential groups in attendance during the Competition. These may include, but are not limited to, the Competition Delivery Partners, teams/athletes, team support staff, competition officials, volunteers and staff, contractors/suppliers, anti-doping officers, medical providers and media and broadcast.'

and that 'All User Groups must be appraised of risk and mitigation plans and given the opportunity to actively ‘opt in’ to RTDC'
Old 5 Jan 2021, 16:50 (Ref:4027018)   #1300
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All of the above are indeed correct; some circuits and/or clubs also provided documentary evidence in the form of printed materials with phone contact details just in case we were stopped en route to a venue.

Personally, I stayed fairly local. I didn't believe the journey any further than Donington (which is 15 minutes, usually) was justifiable for me given my own personal circumstances.