Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Apr 2002, 15:39 (Ref:261211)   #1
Elaine
Rookie

Elaine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No ban for Chilton - woohoo!!

Just received excellent news!! After watching the incident the Stewards have decided that it wasn't Tom's fault and so he hasn't recieved a ban. Well done Tom and good luck for the rest of the season.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 17:29 (Ref:261296)   #2
andrew_marsden
Rookie

andrew_marsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats good news - good luck to him for the rest of the season!
Old 15 Apr 2002, 18:06 (Ref:261329)   #3
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thank goodness for that
Old 15 Apr 2002, 18:48 (Ref:261359)   #4
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never doubted him for a minute.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 19:36 (Ref:261389)   #5
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good for him. Although I haven't seen any video footage of the accident, it sounds to me that Chilton should be let off for this occasion.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 19:59 (Ref:261421)   #6
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking over a pint at Donington, my mate hadn`t heard that Tom could be facing a ban," WHAT THE HELL FOR " he said, " HE DIDN`T DO ANYTHING WRONG ";He saw both incidents at Brands and just couldn`t believe what i was telling him.

So why does it take so long for incidents to be looked at,and judgement made ?????

It beats me...
Old 16 Apr 2002, 08:13 (Ref:261812)   #7
andrew_marsden
Rookie

andrew_marsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well put, IMO Harvey broke a bit early and Chilton wasn't expecting it so it wasn't his fault
Old 16 Apr 2002, 19:38 (Ref:262435)   #8
icu_jo
Rookie

icu_jo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
woooohooooo!! and he's back in the game!
Old 17 Apr 2002, 11:34 (Ref:262929)   #9
king_rico
Rookie

king_rico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news good news. It would have been stupid if he had recieved a ban for brands. Good decision by the stewards in my opinion.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 11:47 (Ref:262954)   #10
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He hit him up the back and punted him off.
I am amazed that anyone here can not consider it Chiltons fault... the rules of the track are pretty clear, if you aren't alongside and can't claim the corner but you gain an advantage by hitting the guy in front you are in the wrong.
Last I heard he'd been banned until June from a usually very reliable source, it would appear therefore there may have been an appeal which would explain the time delay.
RickP
Old 17 Apr 2002, 16:15 (Ref:263212)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even if he did hit him up the back and punt him off no way was it worthy of a ban. Try and tell me of one Touring Car driver who's never been involved in a situation like that. The whole situations been blown well out of proportion.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 17:46 (Ref:263332)   #12
Elaine
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Even if he did hit him up the back and punt him off no way was it worthy of a ban. Try and tell me of one Touring Car driver who's never been involved in a situation like that. The whole situations been blown well out of proportion.
Well said touringlegend - punting people off is a regular occurence in the BTCC, ban one person and you'd have to ban just about everyone. And banning Tom would have been stupid. Tim braked far too early anyway there wasn't a lot Tom could do, it wasn't his fault.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 17:53 (Ref:263346)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
The whole situations been blown well out of proportion.
Very true. We've done the whole "did he, didn't he" debate in 2 other threads already, lets not start it all over again.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 22:39 (Ref:263538)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent news.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 19:36 (Ref:264231)   #15
touring_car_fan
Rookie

touring_car_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It might not have been worthy of a ban, but the problem was he already have 3 endorsements from T-cars, so had he got the endorsement for this he would have been banned. I think it was worth an endorsement and therefore a ban. TH might have braked early, but pugs have more tyre wear than astras and he was on the inside so he had to. TC wouldn't have got round the corner if he hadn't hit him. But i dont want to start that again. Just to let you know he wasn't getting a straight ban. but i cant beleve he has got away with it with no punishment at all. I have seen less worse things get at least disqualification from the race!
Old 19 Apr 2002, 23:13 (Ref:265289)   #16
John Manning
Rookie

John Manning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW hoe d'u know he got 3 points from last season? also where can i get more info on t-cars im intrested tosee what they are
thanks
Old 23 Apr 2002, 21:08 (Ref:268881)   #17
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised people can absolve TC of responsibility for the incidents at Brands. The first one was sort of understandable being the start and all but the second was almost inevitable. TC was consistently entering corners too fast, although it was good to watch him sorting things out on the way through. Once he closed up on Harvey it was just a matter of time IMO.
Having said that, in itself it wasn't worthy of much punishment but TC does have a poor disciplinary record.I wonder what his attitude will be now - he can't get away with much now I wouldn't think.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 21:18 (Ref:268887)   #18
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it's not fair that Chilton gets let off for ramming Harvey off, Whilst at Oulton Harvey get penalised for something that seems to be the teams problem and not his, I'm referring to the feature race where only one wheel was changed, I'm saying that Harvey didn't just say, Hey fu*k it lets change one wheel lads and lets get me penalised for it, did he?

Whats needs to happen is for TC to serve his apprenticeship in the proddy class and have Graves in the Astra and take a look at it for next year, Just likes whats happened with O'neil and what will hopefully work out for Boardman as well.
The lesson is I think just because you're a rich kid, or you're dad is should I say, doesn't mean you can just buy yourself up the ladder.

Last edited by OVERSTEER; 23 Apr 2002 at 21:22.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 21:45 (Ref:268916)   #19
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Three topics and we're still talking about something that happened over 3 weeks ago, you'd never guess that we had some BTCC races at the weekend would you

To give Tom credit where it's due, he came very close to losing control (didn't see if he had any help) of the car going into Old Hall on the first lap of the sprint race and showed very good car control to actually keep on the tarmac and to get back in the right direction. It was also obvious that he was having to fight the car more and more as the feature race progressed at Oulton.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 21:50 (Ref:268922)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Makes a change from talking about old review videos though Carrie...
Old 24 Apr 2002, 17:53 (Ref:269586)   #21
Rhys
Rookie

Rhys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton

Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie
To give Tom credit where it's due, he came very close to losing control (didn't see if he had any help) of the car going into Old Hall on the first lap of the sprint race and showed very good car control to actually keep on the tarmac and to get back in the right direction. It was also obvious that he was having to fight the car more and more as the feature race progressed at Oulton.
Very true. And a lot of people didn't notice the number of times Chilton and his team mate Aaron Slight swapped places!I think it could have got more interesting as the race progressed if Tom hadn't had problems with the car which caused him to drop off the pace (gearbox I think). You can slag the guy off as much as you want, but although he has a lot to learn, I was very impressed with his driving style at Oulton Park. Hope he gets a drive next year so we can see what he can really do.

Anyway. Here's a picture I took of the Barwell drivers at Oulton last weekend. If anything, they're both nice guys and some of the more experienced drivers could learn a lesson in manners off them both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg racing0004.jpg (59.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 24 Apr 2002, 18:20 (Ref:269618)   #22
Elaine
Rookie

Couldn't agree more - both the Barwell drivers are really nice guys and I was really impressed with both their driving. Third first time out for Tom and Independants trophy for Aaron at the weekend. Great start to the season and deserve all the credit they get
Old 24 Apr 2002, 18:28 (Ref:269625)   #23
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
Well it doesn't change the fact that TC Rammed Harvey off at Brands and got off scot free, where as Harvey had a problem which meant that team Halfords couldn't change both wheels and didn't gain an advantage and got 25 seconds added onto his race time and got dropped to 6th but keeps success ballast for 2nd!!, It takes the P*ss it really does.
And it's a pity because Tom Harvey is such a nice guy and too much of a clean racer to go and barge TC off but the way things seem to be put in TC's favour they'd disqualify him.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 18:30 (Ref:269627)   #24
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
That pic shows TC with a bit of a grin, he's probably thinking, "I've got the stewards wrapped around my little finger"
Old 24 Apr 2002, 18:32 (Ref:269631)   #25
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
I suggest throw Tom Chilton in with the Proddies to play for a while and he can learn things the hard way, that just because you've got a rich dad and you're spoilt by being bought a top class touring car drive doesn't mean you can get away with murder forever.