Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Mar 2003, 16:31 (Ref:538162)   #1
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi

Just thinking about what sucess Audi has had at Le mans and in the ALMS. What will Audi do next. What is the story of the rumor of Audi returning in 2004 with a closed cockpit car? Does anyone know?
Old 16 Mar 2003, 16:34 (Ref:538166)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This story has been around for a while, at present there is nothing confirmed. I think it will depend on how Bentley do at Le Mans, to as weather the car is built or not.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 17:52 (Ref:538210)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Ulrich repeated this week-end that they'll be back in 2004...
Old 16 Mar 2003, 19:06 (Ref:538250)   #4
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There have also been rumors of a VW Formula 1 effort under the guise of the Audi name. The recent changes to F1 regulations have made the idle pratter more serious than before, supposedly. To add a modicum of weight to this theory is the fact that the domain name www.audif1.com has been registered by an unknown party.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 19:57 (Ref:538285)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, as the only person (so it seems) around here who wouldn't be at all sad if Audi do not come back in 2004, all I can say is, if they do, I really hope they do put a roof on it!
Old 16 Mar 2003, 21:58 (Ref:538391)   #6
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be sad if they didn't come back, but i wouldn't be happy either. The way i see it is this: they've had their time in the sun so it's time to let some other team(s) get some glory. Having the same car slaughtering everyone all the time isn't good for any series. Just look at F1 (sorry to keep bringing the open wheelers up but it backs up my point).
Old 17 Mar 2003, 07:52 (Ref:538638)   #7
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I've got no problem with Audi returning as long as another heavyweight like Porsche comes back also. The problem has been that Audi has been the only major manufacturer in the last few years. But we shouldn't knock them for their support.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 11:23 (Ref:538785)   #8
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
www.audif1.com, these poelpe own the domain:

audif1.com
Organization:
Formula One Management
Eddie Baker
Sapphire House, Biggin Airport,
Kent, TN163BW
UK
Phone: 01959 579 000
Fax..: 01959 579 001
Email: clientservices@netsearchers.com

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: AUDIF1.COM

Created on..............: Tue, Jun 26, 2001
Expires on..............: Wed, Jun 26, 2002
Record last updated on..: Wed, May 22, 2002

Administrative Contact:
Formula One Management
Eddie Baker
Sapphire House, Biggin Airport,
Kent, TN163BW
UK
Phone: 01959 579 000
Fax..: 01959 579 001
Email: clientservices@netsearchers.com

Technical Contact:
Register.Com
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 902-749-2701
Fax..: 902-749-5429
Email: domain-registrar@register.com

Zone Contact:
Register.Com
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 902-749-2701
Fax..: 902-749-5429
Email: domain-registrar@register.com

Domain servers in listed order:

NS.ATLAS.CO.UK 195.54.226.11
NS2.ATLAS.CO.UK 195.54.226.61
Old 17 Mar 2003, 13:23 (Ref:538883)   #9
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats a lot of info, can someone please explain what it means.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 13:28 (Ref:538891)   #10
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it means at the end of the day Bernie owns the domain name.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 00:12 (Ref:539656)   #11
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
random mind thinking things (audi 04 related)

Being bored again in lectures today, my mind started to drift, along with the doddling pencil, and lo-and-behold another sportscar appeared on the page, looking distinclty like a cross between this years bently and an audi R8. This got me thinking more.
If Audi come back in '04, would it be in there best interests to do a closed or open top? If closed, would it be a development of the bentley? or an R8 with a roof? or maybe something completely new?
Then again if an open, how about a no-roofed bentley? or designing an updated car to suit the new rules?
Could they even get away with competing with a completely updated R8, running to current rules? They still seem mighty quick, but would they be able to compete against the new cars?

Questions, questions.

What does everyone else feel could happen?

Finally if it was a 'gtp' class what would they call it? i'd gamble on R8CII

Regards
Ed
Old 18 Mar 2003, 00:30 (Ref:539665)   #12
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Most likely a closed R8 development, or an open R8 development.
Personally I'll go with R8T(T)
Old 18 Mar 2003, 01:01 (Ref:539694)   #13
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See my posting under the Bentley thread regarding the disadvantages of a closed car...
Old 18 Mar 2003, 01:05 (Ref:539697)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I have no idea whether Audi - should they return in '04 - will go open or closed, but I think the Sebring result will have engendered much head-scratching at Ingolstadt.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 13:45 (Ref:540112)   #15
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought the romours were that Audi would come back with a closed car as thats what they started with, anyway, i often draw cars as i get bord in lessons, they all seem to have a resemblence to the Ferrari 360 moderna, i dont know why as that isn't even very high on my favourite list.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 18:39 (Ref:540358)   #16
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm disadvantages of a closed car. I can't think of a greater disadvantage than having a forest of roll hoop on top of the car. Yuk. I think Audi will certain;y come back with an R8C mkII Or in fact, i hope it's an R8D, just to signify that it has nothing to do with that monstrosity.
It'll be a long nosed, short tailed R8 with a roof.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 19:54 (Ref:540426)   #17
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
In one of the topics I posted, I had ask the same question. Me personaly, I would like to see Audi come up with a close coupe version of the R8 and call it the C8, c meaning closed and 8 for V8 engine. I have sat in class day dreaming and have come up with a drawing of my so called "Audi C8".
Old 18 Mar 2003, 20:04 (Ref:540439)   #18
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
As with Porsche coming back, I would love to see a huge, major dogfight that lasted the whole race, and no mattr what team you are a fan for, you get butterflies in your stomach waitng for the finish to see what team comes out on top. This is the race I would love to see between Porsche and Audi.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 20:06 (Ref:540442)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
C8, sounds live a samll family hatchback to me
How about R9?
Old 18 Mar 2003, 22:13 (Ref:540623)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know there are good and bad points about "open" or "closed" cars...

Personally, I like to watch open-top racers...you can see the drivers working in the car (if watching on TV) and although they get rained on in bad weather, they don't get as hot as a closed cockpit for the driver...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 18 Mar 2003, 22:14 (Ref:540626)   #21
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yes we all agree on that merit, but look at the roll hoops they're putting on them, they're ghastly!
Old 19 Mar 2003, 07:57 (Ref:540909)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry guys, I'm losing touch with all these wonderful Audi threads. I've merged the two that seemed to be roughly along the same lines.