Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 10 Jun 2004, 12:24 (Ref:999590)   #1
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sports 2000 duratec

I am weighing up the option for next season and have come across sports 2000 with the new duratec engine. The club website seems fairly impressive but I wondered if anyone could give me an un biased opinion. Eg how big are the grids, what are the cars like to drive, realistic costs for a season etc.
What is this type of car like to drive compaired to a slicks and wings single seater ?
Old 10 Jun 2004, 12:28 (Ref:999597)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The grids are huge - thirty plus for every round, even if most of those are the older (Pinto?) cars. That's as much as I know - it isn't a championship that I've seen an awful lot of.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 13:19 (Ref:999652)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Ian's right, always huge grids and normally good clean racing. Have you tried telephoning the club for more details although I think there are a few members who visit ten-tenths.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 15:33 (Ref:999766)   #4
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
Thanks for the replies - I thought I would see what ten tenths produces first before ringing the club. So if anyone races expecially duratec then could they give me the low down.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 20:15 (Ref:1000083)   #5
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I realised this is a biased opinion but my dad has been racing on and off (but now more on than off!) in Sports 2000 pinto since 2001. Basically yes the grids are usually huge and the racing clean and yes at the moment the duratec grid is filled up with the pinto cars from the Sports 2000 championship race, but only until there are sufficient cars to run the series alone as the club dosent want a race with only 10 cars etc. Since we have been around Sports 2000 we have found them not only to be an extremly friendly bunch of people but also very helpful as we have used many parts and knowledge in the last few years! Everybody that has driven one says that the duratec cars are a dream to drive but if you want to there are a few cars up for hire for race meetings (both duratec and the older pinto cars) but also for tests. If you are interested your best bet would be not only speaking to the championship secretary(his number is on the website) who would be happy to talk to you and even moreso if you were to start racing with us and also to provide you with tickets if you want to come to a meeting etc. Would you be looking at a new or used car? and would you prepare the car yourself? becuase at the moment there are a few used cars up for sale that are already duratec and a few pinto cars that can be easily converted but still prove very competitive (a Lola from 1987 won at silverstone) or obviously 4 or 5 different manufactures for new cars that currently have cars in sports 2000 or converted supersports etc and again most of those links are on the website.

Hope this is of some use! and you can call my dad to if you would like to talk further about Sports 2000 without actually calling the club, he would be happy to help you.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 22:42 (Ref:1000243)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TT user mattray through his Chassis Tech concern has set up a couple of these cars I believe. May be a useful contact.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 09:50 (Ref:1003275)   #7
Pipewell
Rookie

Pipewell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is one of the best championships around! There are more cars old and new on the grid. Contact Colin Freyeband at the Sports 2000 racing club. I don't have details on me but do a google search and find the web site.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 22:04 (Ref:1005338)   #8
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
Thanks for all the feedback - this is definately something I will consider for next season.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 08:17 (Ref:1005576)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A friend of mine is a front runner in it - I think its a cracking good series.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 16:50 (Ref:1007151)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Always been entertained when I've seen it.