Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Oct 2014, 23:29 (Ref:3460563)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Portimao 24 hr Pre War Sports Car Event

The Bengerfield Club are sponsoring a 24 hr Pre War Sports Car Event at Portimao this weekend.

I thought it a daft idea when I was first told about it but having spent six hours at the track today was very impressed.

To give it some gravitas the cars ran with hoods up for first twenty laps as Le Mans 1924.

Twenty plus cars started and twenty were running at midnight withnTalbot 105 being quickest ,followed by a 328 BMW and the unique Triumph Dolomite.

The Talbot lot stopped for tea then supper and decided to have a nights sleep before having another go tomorrow so it's not to serious for them!

Paul Carters Derby Bentley Special took the thing much more seriously and were extremly well drilled and took the lead after four hours and I would be very surprised if they lost it They were still being pushed by the BMW which has a blower ( wonder if BMW know about that) and another Bentley.

The girls team in a Bentley four and a half went well getting into fifth place before some mechanical misfortune hit but they have restarted.

Let's see how many survive tomorrow .

Not bad for 70/90 year old cars and well done to the organisers.
Old 5 Oct 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3460954)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Great event.

The Bentley of Paul Carter covered the most miles followed by the BMW that finished the distance along with fourteen other cars.

Tremendous application by the drivers.

Talbot lot continued their part time interest but having had most rest were in good shape for after event activities that have been in full swing since mid afternoon.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3461152)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
That sounds very civilised, and enjoyable.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 12:33 (Ref:3461228)   #4
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That sounds like proper motor SPORT and the reason we are all in it. Would love to have been involved in such fun.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 15:53 (Ref:3461337)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for bringing to our attention. Will they run another?
Old 6 Oct 2014, 18:20 (Ref:3461388)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

William Metcalf ,the Bentley man,( he's not perfect) had an idea many years ago and it's taken him years to put it together with a couple of his mates under the Benjafield banner.

Think if you ask him today he would say once is enough but you never know.

Let's hope he does it again.

Something special.

I went down as a non believer and dragged down there with a mate who has a Talbot and became a believer.

Might even enter a car if it happens again!

Causes less mechanical damage than a four day Alpine type rally.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 19:30 (Ref:3461433)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'd guess, if approached sensibly ( tortoise not Hare ) an enduro would be relatively sympathetic on an appropriate circuit.

Its things like the 6 hour at SPa which have essentially turned into a sprint/arms race up front, which have muddied the waters for old stuff doing longer races.
Old 9 Oct 2014, 13:08 (Ref:3462542)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was like John, very cynical but delighted to be proved wrong. Gillian Carr was part of an all ladies team in one of JRs favourite Bentleys (!) and finished 12th I think after losing 45 minutes in pits sorting out seized brakes. Some photos would be excellent.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 10 Oct 2014, 05:34 (Ref:3462824)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The girls car was very unfortunate as it wasted couple hours in pits and probably should had finished sixth.

Four of them did a great job.

Gilly was leader of pack and would make a great team manager.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 09:20 (Ref:3464381)   #10
juliang
Rookie

juliang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shared a car and we did the full Benjafield's 24 Hours. We were in car 30, another Bentley, sorry John. It was without doubt one of the best things I've ever done. Words can't explain the emotion of the whole thing. Credit to William Medcalf for pulling off a triumphant event.
I was lucky enough to drive the Le Mans style start, where you had to erect the hood, I also did a couple of night stints and due to a swap I got to drive the sunrise session. The guys also let me do the finish which was fantastic.
Our servicing was done by William Medcalf's team which was very slick. Our fuel strategy was worked out on a mop handle with a pencil, which was not so slick.
Here is a link to a site with pictures to give you an idea.
http://gerardbrown.photoshelter.com/...000SjinjYCM1xo

Last edited by juliang; 13 Oct 2014 at 09:36.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3464449)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congratulations Julia.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3464454)   #12
juliang
Rookie

Actually it's Julian. if I could find out how to change my name on here I would.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3464478)   #13
juliang
Rookie

Here to prove I'm a fella is me with the fuel strategy mop.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Strategy Mop.jpeg  
Old 13 Oct 2014, 14:11 (Ref:3464507)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The Mallett is jealous of you having lots of hair!

Julian's is also one of head honchos at Brooklands.

Just has a problem with those Bentley Tractors!
Old 13 Oct 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3464508)   #15
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Race results, please.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 16:08 (Ref:3464555)   #16
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It was not a race but a regularity event for 24 hrs.

It was won by Paul Carters. Derby Bentley Rep with a German supercharged BMW second and and Farmer Arburys Bentley third.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3464559)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliang View Post
Actually it's Julian. if I could find out how to change my name on here I would.
Send a PM to MagnetOn and I expect he'll change it to whatever you want....within reason.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 20:58 (Ref:3465428)   #18
juliang
Rookie

Not a total problem John, my daily racer is a Frazer Nash!
Juntos if you visit the Benjafields website you will find a list of entries but as it wasn't officially a race we were all winners! The car that did the most laps was Paul Carter's Derby Bentley, Eddie Hall recreation.
There will be a video of the event. I'll post the link when it's finished.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 11:04 (Ref:3467353)   #19
tonylees
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
tonylees should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's one hell of a mop you have there Julia...

It was the most amazing event. A plucky 3 litre Lagonda tried hard and with help from an old washer and an elctric drill for a lathe, overcame a dropped valve in the early laps to finish the 24 hours in 13th place.

And not a single biff or crunch in 24 hours - gentlemen and gentlewomen drivers all.

There is a trailer for the film here - the video guys cut this in the short time between the event ending and the amazing gala dinner.

(who is that handsome chap with the blonde lady at the end?)

Some less professional images:

Before the event:
Untitled by tlarnesby, on Flickr

After the champage:
IMG_3848[1] by tlarnesby, on Flickr