Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Dec 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1175682)   #1
TSK
Rookie

TSK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End of the road (track?) for Oran Park ? (Merged)

In the major suburban land release proposal by the NSW Govt announced yesterday, it seems that the Oran Park area is one of the first to be released for sale.

From today's SMH:
"The Premier, Bob Carr, said yesterday that under the plan, the first homes would be built by 2007 in two separate land release areas near Rouse Hill and at Oran Park."
( See http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/...182430149.html)

And here's a graphic (from SMH) showing the extent of the south western Sydney land development, clearly showing the Oran Park area development:

So...will 2005 be the final year of events at OP?

Regs,
TSK
Old 9 Dec 2004, 22:07 (Ref:1175691)   #2
Hapul
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Hapul should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope not

I hope they don't, op is a great place, and if we get rid of it, sydney will only have eastern creek, and I think there is a mutual agreement that we DON'T want 2 rounds there anymore

"So, do you just go for anything red, Russell?"
-M Skaife
Old 9 Dec 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1175705)   #3
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From memory one bloke owns nearly all that land.

Talk about a nest egg!!!!!!!!!!!!
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 9 Dec 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1175706)   #4
TCR-028
Racer

TCR-028 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has been pretty much common knowledge that 2005 would more than likely be Oran Park's last hurrah... I love the place, and next year will be putting the camera in the car to capture the track before it disappears for good - it's a shame i didn't get the chance to do that at Amaroo Park...

Boppa
Old 9 Dec 2004, 23:20 (Ref:1175752)   #5
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a sad day. Let's hope the Bob Carr puts a decent land bank aside - preferably zoned industrial - for a motorsport facility and complex.
It's never good to lose a race circuit.

I wouldn't mind the contract to build 60 new schools though. Maybe the profit from that could be invested in a motorsport facility.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 23:55 (Ref:1175779)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too bad really to see it turned into a residential development. But I've seen it happen before, the land just gets too valuable and you almost can't help but to sell up and cash in.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 01:04 (Ref:1175815)   #7
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
What a sad day. Let's hope the Bob Carr puts a decent land bank aside - preferably zoned industrial - for a motorsport facility and complex.
It's never good to lose a race circuit.
Yeah, I reckon the state premier who hates cars and wouldn't know an F1 car from a Sprintcar will zone land for a race circuit!
Old 10 Dec 2004, 01:12 (Ref:1175819)   #8
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
RIP ORAN PARK is it true.

Going on the story in today's The Daily Telegraph, the Perich family which owns Oran Park has sold the land and all there other property around that area to the NSW Goverment. So a new housing devlopment can go ahead.
Going by the story the Oran Park section should be starting in 2007.

If this is the case will 2005 be the last year that Oran will host motorsports events.

Personally if this is true I am going to miss Oran, as I think it is one of the best track for the fans to view ALL the action. Being a bit sinicall I think that one Aussie Bernie would be happy as it will be one less track for him to worry about.

Is it a case of RIP ORAN PARK.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 10 Dec 2004, 01:32 (Ref:1175826)   #9
ADZ351
Rookie

ADZ351 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good thing they just upgraded the pit facilities too - NOT!
Old 10 Dec 2004, 07:24 (Ref:1175886)   #10
Schrodes
Rookie

Australia
Sydney ish
Schrodes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have lived within earshot of Oran Park all my life. I lived at Bringelly until three years ago and now live at Narellan. Mum and dad have property at Bringelly and going by that map the may be just on the border of the development. Tony Perich does own the majority of the land from OP to Bringelly and some more land on the other side of the Northern Road towards Luddenham.
When I did some work at OP earlier in the year, they said they weren't taking sponsorship contracts after this year but I heard the contract between OP and the council goes for another two years.
I will certainly miss Oran Park.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 07:26 (Ref:1175887)   #11
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
Going by the story the Oran Park section should be starting in 2007.

If this is the case will 2005 be the last year that Oran will host motorsports events.
eh? If work is only starting in 2007, why should racing stop in '05, why not at least go to '06?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 10 Dec 2004, 08:55 (Ref:1175945)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suggest everyone gets out to OP on the weekend prior to Australia Day for The Historic Touring Car Festival, featuring Group N, Group C, Group A and HQs.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 01:45 (Ref:1176727)   #13
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
From memory one bloke owns nearly all that land.

Talk about a nest egg!!!!!!!!!!!!
If there are a 100,000 lots available, and at $100k a pop, that's 10 billion buckazoids. Yep, a decent nest egg, alright......
Old 11 Dec 2004, 06:31 (Ref:1176808)   #14
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oran Park is such a good track for spectators, the exact opposite of Eastern Creek it will be a shame if it goes & leaves Sydney with just the one track.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 06:44 (Ref:1176810)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group N, Group C, Group A and HQs????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
I suggest everyone gets out to OP on the weekend prior to Australia Day for The Historic Touring Car Festival, featuring Group N, Group C, Group A and HQs.
Dave, I heard that the race wasn't sanctioned as a Fifth Category event....I was concerned that could stop some Group N, Group C, Group A and HQs from competing....I will certainly be trying to get along to the event.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 13:58 (Ref:1176997)   #16
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZ351
Good thing they just upgraded the pit facilities too - NOT!
I heard that the pits were built in two parts because when the track closed down the pits could be easily re-located for a new track being built or in planning to be built. Anyone else heard this?
Old 11 Dec 2004, 14:01 (Ref:1177001)   #17
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant they just leave the circuit there and build around it ????

I think Oran Park as a circuit is much better then Eastern Creek..

I bet who ever payed for the new pit buildings is going to be spewing.

I would rather see the development occur around the circuit, and the circuit could be used for a community park most of the year, and then closed off a couple of weekends a year for racing.

The new housing developments get a park and the circuit remains intact..

its a win win
Old 11 Dec 2004, 16:32 (Ref:1177088)   #18
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Until all the new people who live around the curcuit complain, dispite getting their land at a lower price because there is a racing curcuit.

Anyone remember Surfers Paradise, just to name one?
Old 11 Dec 2004, 20:15 (Ref:1177210)   #19
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884

I bet who ever payed for the new pit buildings is going to be spewing.
The pit buildings look very "relocateable" IMHO.

Apart from the slab, that seems to be fixed in the ground

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 11 Dec 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1177227)   #20
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a shame Sydney has finally grown that large that Oran park is set to finish business and make way for the developers. On a brighter note, Sydney does have a new drag venue at the creek and they have done a good job. Politicians, they give with the right hand and take with the left...................
Old 12 Dec 2004, 00:32 (Ref:1177335)   #21
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Does that mean that Eastern Creek gets 3 Rounds a year now ?
Old 12 Dec 2004, 00:50 (Ref:1177340)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jones
What a shame Sydney has finally grown that large that Oran park is set to finish business and make way for the developers. On a brighter note, Sydney does have a new drag venue at the creek and they have done a good job. Politicians, they give with the right hand and take with the left...................
And in 20 years time, when Eastern Creek the housing estate is totally built out, and the residents who move there after EC had already been in place for 30+ years are whinging about the noise, the inconvenience on race day, and the people around their area, what will happen to that circuit?

It will likely go the way of Oran Park....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Dec 2004, 01:03 (Ref:1177346)   #23
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Why do people feel the need to build next to a racing circuit and then complain about the noise..

Sandown, Lakeside.. etc.. all come to mind
Old 12 Dec 2004, 02:28 (Ref:1177368)   #24
TeamChaparral
Rookie

TeamChaparral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the pits were built only to keep the V8's going there until the tracks closure. The Owner, who pasted away a little while back, was the motorsport lover and his sons aren't really interested.

They own all the land around Oran Park, as far as the eye can see, and then some. They bought the Badgery's Creek "Airport" land back off the NSW Government when the Airport failed and rumours were that they put in a proposal for a new track out there...

It is a shame, Oran Park is a favorite for a lot of people, competitors and spectators and you guys are right, why would you buy land next to a race track and then complain about the noise.... ??? hrug:

" 'cause Golf courses should be Race tracks"

Last edited by TeamChaparral; 12 Dec 2004 at 02:30.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 03:04 (Ref:1177380)   #25
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the man
I heard that the pits were built in two parts because when the track closed down the pits could be easily re-located for a new track being built or in planning to be built. Anyone else heard this?
Yeah heard the same thing.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!