Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Nov 2006, 11:30 (Ref:1765812)   #51
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spoke to the MSA yesterday.

1. The person I discussed this with was unaware of the offer of 4 places at the GP for students. I will be following this up further today.
2. The qualification they get is NOT one in the MSA's grading scheme. Their "Incident Marshal" qualification is College only - NOT MSA. They will need to get a further 5 signatures (to bring them up to the revised number of 10 sigs that all trainees will need) to get them to the MSA basic grade of "Track Marshal" (Old name - course marshal). - Basically all we are doing is providing an alternative way in to marshalling that will attract students.

As soon as is practical I will put an article on the BMMC website and publish a link here on ten tenths explaining the whole new grading scheme - hopefully wthin the next couple of weeks.

I will then be more than happy to try to field your questions.

Hope this helps.

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
Old 14 Nov 2006, 11:36 (Ref:1765818)   #52
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for clearing that up Chris.

I look forward to seeing the new grading scheme!
Old 14 Nov 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1765941)   #53
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That makes a lot of sense. Possibly not communicated to the guys that are doing the course in a way that easily translates to what we understand, but another way of attracting young marshals, so all good, I say. If the offer of attendance at the GP is an incentive that encourages people to start, then all well and good as far as I'm concerned, although I do see how that could disappoint people who fail to get selected by the normal means. If it results in an overall increase in numbers then I think it's a positive move.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1766190)   #54
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can now clear up the GP queries.

The offer is actually from Mike Farnworth's company "On-Track Training" and is for 4 spectator tickets to be awarded to the top Myerscough students who have completed the full course, attained the qualification and have been outstanding in some way or other. It is NOT an MSA offer.

Regards

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
Old 16 Nov 2006, 08:54 (Ref:1767452)   #55
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a great offer...

pitty they didnt have it when i was at uni
Old 16 Nov 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1767751)   #56
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A result, then. Question asked, bit of idle random speculation, answer with full details received (and a sensible one at that - someone seems to have actually thought this through properly, most unusual in this day and age - well done).
Old 17 Nov 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1768826)   #57
happyhammer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Poole
happyhammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
Different thing Eddy - I'm only trying to convince a few members of the Motorsports Club to become marshals, and will be able to use Student Union resources to help. Won't be part of a degree or other qualification, it'll be just for fun
I know this is totally irrelevant to the whole subject of getting IO grades/going to the gp (I have a slow internet connection so can only breifly view previous comments), I think getting students involved is a good thing.

When the motorsports club was founded it was done so partly on the the basis of 'transferable skills' which students could develop through marshalling. It is a phrase I hate but, but not only does it get students cheap access to watch races (well, we will not dwell on the costs of boots/overalls) it gives them the opportunity to work in teams - get used to working with different people and also something pretty responsible to do. I would, however, hate for this to become integral to any degree scheme.

I am pleased to say that at the freshers fair/fayre (at essex it is spelt fair), there were several people interested in joining the club not because of the karting included in the joining fee, but because of the marshalling. Admittedly Asp wearing probans did help (I was wearing my karting sparcos, didn't have the guts to wear bright orange).

Anyway, I've not posted anything for ages so I thought I should offer my irrelevant contribution.