Old 19 Jul 2010, 19:43 (Ref:2729246)   #1
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
mrfizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Newbie' Taster Day - Silverstone 24\7\10

Hi everybody,

Just recieved my ticket for a marshalling taster day at Silverstone on Saturday. I've only ever attended Silverstone for Grand Prix and have arrived by bus, so can anybody tell me what the best parking area is? I've got to report to the 'Paddock Bar' as well, so if you can tell me how i locate that i'd be even more grateful!

Ta!
Old 19 Jul 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2729257)   #2
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to 10ths and marshalling and Silverstone!!

Paddock bar is in the block behind the pits / paddock. If your previous visit got you close enough to see the fuel station, then that's very close by.

Quieter meets we normally park in the car park opposite (nice and close for breakfast), but for the Classic, we'll probably need to head for the campsite on the outside of the track near the old ped bridge (aka this year's start line). Access to the inner will be on foot via the Copse tunnel.

Enjoy your walkabout and make sure you stay on for the afternoon out on the bank
Good footwear and non-yellow waterproofs are sensible, plus some good gloves. Hat & sunblock not always needed of course!!

See you there

http://www.formulastudent.com/Librar...ap_1.sflb.ashx

Link to map for last weekend's event - it has good detail. Paddock bar is marked above (last week's) officials car parking; copse tunnel shown to it's right as "tunnel access" , campsite is off the top edge between those two points

Last edited by HairyDJ; 19 Jul 2010 at 20:06. Reason: added link to map
Old 19 Jul 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2729268)   #3
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
Thanks!

I'm looking forward to my taster, should be some good racing as well!
Old 19 Jul 2010, 20:22 (Ref:2729282)   #4
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
vw_nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a great meeting to have a taser at the classic is one of my must does each year hope you and enjoy it i am there all three days so i may see you there
Old 20 Jul 2010, 13:42 (Ref:2729615)   #5
pixie2308
Rookie

England
South Warwickshire, Middle England
pixie2308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to our world Mrfiz.
The Classics is one of the best meetings to start out at.
Silverstone can be daunting at the best of times due to its size and history (i remember that fear when i first turned up as a marshal). That said it is easy .... just follow the flock of orange (and black at Silverstone) a technique that served me well. You cant miss us that early in the morning - we all look half asleep and smile a lot!
The guys on the gate will wave you in a general direction! thereafter any black or orange clad marshal will direct you and make sure you are OK.
Hope to see you wandering up the pit lane for your introduction...
Old 20 Jul 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2729832)   #6
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie2308 View Post
Welcome to our world Mrfiz.
The Classics is one of the best meetings to start out at.
Silverstone can be daunting at the best of times due to its size and history (i remember that fear when i first turned up as a marshal). That said it is easy .... just follow the flock of orange (and black at Silverstone) a technique that served me well. You cant miss us that early in the morning - we all look half asleep and smile a lot!
The guys on the gate will wave you in a general direction! thereafter any black or orange clad marshal will direct you and make sure you are OK.
Hope to see you wandering up the pit lane for your introduction...
Thanks, i think i'll do just that!

If you do see me wandering the pit lane on my taster, i'll be the one going 'wow' and 'ooh' every time i walk past anything with four wheels!! (whilst listening intently to my guide/mentor of course!)
Old 21 Jul 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2730222)   #7
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfizz View Post
Thanks, i think i'll do just that!

If you do see me wandering the pit lane on my taster, i'll be the one going 'wow' and 'ooh' every time i walk past anything with four wheels!! (whilst listening intently to my guide/mentor of course!)
This boy will never make it as a marshal if he goes around listening to the likes of us!!!

Seriously - welcome to the mad world of marshalling, its more addictive than several illegal things!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 22:19 (Ref:2732891)   #8
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
So ....... hope you got there ok and had a good day playing with us & meeting some 10thers?

I was on Copse Out on Saturday and we could see a nice long crocodile of tasters walking out to the flag point at Copse In.
Old 26 Jul 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2733589)   #9
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
So ....... hope you got there ok and had a good day playing with us & meeting some 10thers?

I was on Copse Out on Saturday and we could see a nice long crocodile of tasters walking out to the flag point at Copse In.
Yep, that was us! Had a great day. During our 'tour' we happened to be in race control when that guy stuffed his E-type (i think) in to the new pit wall. it was fascinating watching the guys sort it all out and here all the radio chatter. Great stuff.

I'd like to say a big than you to all the marshalls i met on the day, you'll struggle to find a friendlier bunch of people on the planet methinks! Special thanks goes to 'the arsonist' (forgot his real name) and all the others who i was on post with for the afternoon at Luffield Out. Made me feel very welcome, we had a good laugh whilst learning me a lot as well, especially how to clear up dropped oil (thanks 1970-85 GP cars!).

After the experience i will be joining the club and we see you again pretty darn soon!
Old 26 Jul 2010, 20:26 (Ref:2733608)   #10
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfizz View Post
After the experience i will be joining the club and we see you again pretty darn soon!
Correct answer!! Welcome to the long hot days (oh, and the freezing cold wet ones too)
Old 26 Jul 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2733623)   #11
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another addict for the statistics.
Welcome to our world mrfizz. Life will never be the same!