Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 6 May 2008, 04:25 (Ref:2194878)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver speculation

In the France thread RichardRenes suggested that Robert Doornbos was spotted in the NED pits at Brands. As a Champcar refugee he has reason to be interested, and as nice a bloke (Bleke?) Jeroen Bleekemolen seems to be, he always seems to be around 6th position rather than challenging for wins. I'd therefore view Doornbos as a potential improvement.

Adam Carroll and Neel Jani have both stated their desire to be back, and I presume Montagny would be keen as well. These are all very good drivers, and A1GP seems to be turning into the best destination for those not wanted by F1.

This makes me wonder who else might be attracted by an increasingly popular global series with Ferrari kit. I believe Italy need a rethink considering they now have a round on new turf. Pantano? Liuzzi?
Old 6 May 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2195184)   #2
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ferrari kit has a nice ring to it Kiwi. I hope A1 keeps bringing-up younger drivers. As competitive a market segment as that is over there, it seems to work well for a few drivers stateside. FWIW.
Old 6 May 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2195380)   #3
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.a1teamnedfoto.nl/upload/p...photoLarge.jpg

Robert Doornbos and Dominic Muermans at the A1 Team Netherlands pitbox with Jan Lammers.

At this time, it is unsure as to weather Jeroen Bleekemolen will stay or not. The team things/ knows it's not his fault that he finished where he did. They failed to give him the car to do better.

But having said that: it wouldn't hurt team Netherlands to give a driver a try who used to beat the current champion
Old 7 May 2008, 06:41 (Ref:2195723)   #4
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about a team Japan with Takuma Sato....
Old 7 May 2008, 07:58 (Ref:2195775)   #5
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just my thoughts Hepatic, and who knows maybe Anthony should consider a run-out in Team GBR...beats a) not having a ride in F1 and b) running around 4 seconds off the pace each race due to a hugely underfunded car...
Old 7 May 2008, 11:26 (Ref:2195923)   #6
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
cheng congfu will remain in china seat cause he impressed several times. there’s a little something to mull over, a1teamchina needs to takes a chinese team cause astromega was in long way to impress.
Old 7 May 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2196118)   #7
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see Ant Davidson drive for GBR
Old 8 May 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2197177)   #8
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Panis is thinking of testing a new Ferrari powered A1GP car over the winter for Team France. That would be a nice move.

How about Jaques in Team Canada while we're at it?
Old 8 May 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2197182)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its all down to chequebooks. Not too long till silverstone and you have to wonder if the new nations will be ready
Old 9 May 2008, 05:27 (Ref:2197337)   #10
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is silverstone a pre-season test like last year? Any dates confirmed?
Old 9 May 2008, 05:42 (Ref:2197348)   #11
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
P.S. According to the Autosport article Panis would consider racing next year if he enjoys the test. I guess he would still be quite quick, but Montagny is no slouch either...

I thought he was the team's sporting director (announced at the beginning of last season). Didn't see him at many rounds and the article says he was at Brands just as a guess.

Also anyone know the extent of any Alain Prost involvement? Just there to support his son in the rookie session or there with business in mind?
Old 9 May 2008, 06:34 (Ref:2197381)   #12
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen Olivier at several rounds this season... he was sporting director, I believe.

Prost was just an "advisor", to help his son out.
Old 10 May 2008, 00:32 (Ref:2197940)   #13
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there's a team Japan again, I hope Aguri Suzuki runs it. The way he ran Super Aguri has been a no joke thing and I think he can make a difference. Of course, where he gets the money is another thing entirely.

If Tak Sato joins A1GP, he'll bring with him legions of Japanese fans, which should be neat. Sato is also a good driver. In my opinion, one of the best Japan's ever produced.

~

Panis testing the Ferrari is an interesting move, IMO. I wonder if some teams will call that cheating. I do guess that since Fittipaldi gets to test drive, he should though.

~

Prost's involvement is purely from his son's stand point. Oh how their careers have been polarizingly different. Prost, 4-time F1 world champion, now two-time and defending ice-racing champion. Nicolas Prost, nada.

~

Anthony Davidson would be a huge boost for GBR. Robbie does okay, but he just hovers along. Sometimes he shines, sometimes he doesn't. With DTM, Jarvy doesn't look like he'll be back, so if the Clements duo can snag Anthony, that would be neat.

I wonder how many F1 refugees are thinking about A1GP...
Old 10 May 2008, 01:35 (Ref:2197957)   #14
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Garza and David Martinez should share the Mexico seat, open wheel racing has been always a lot more favored by mexicans fans than eny other type of racing, after Champcar demise...A1GP has the great chance to become the series in Mexico, last march they gather far more people on Sunday than NASCAR...in the whole weekend...that speaks for itself...

Also i'm curious about if really ex-ccws squads will made jump into A1GP

Last edited by Net-Ranger; 10 May 2008 at 01:42.
Old 10 May 2008, 03:42 (Ref:2197975)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lam Pak
cheng congfu will remain in china seat cause he impressed several times. there’s a little something to mull over, a1teamchina needs to takes a chinese team cause astromega was in long way to impress.
Are there any other contenders for the Team China seat? And are you suggesting there will be a new prep team involved?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 May 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2198119)   #16
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Sato would be more likely to go to Honda in 2009 (to replace Barrichello) than to A1GP, wouldn't he?

No reason why Panis testing the French car would be seen as cheating, the teams can put whatever driver in the car they like as long as they have the appropriate racing licence and meet eligibility criteria.
Old 10 May 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2198130)   #17
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Net-Ranger
open wheel racing has been always a lot more favored by mexicans fans than any other type of racing, after Champcar demise...A1GP has the great chance to become the series in Mexico, last march they gather far more people on Sunday than NASCAR...in the whole weekend...that speaks for itself...
For sure Ranger, and a pretty obvious whole without an event or events in the good ole USA. I'd imagine they're spending some time on it.
Old 10 May 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2198151)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Is silverstone a pre-season test like last year? Any dates confirmed?
I'm told there will be at some point in August. The new car is bigger than the Ferrari its styled after so the likes of me will fit in it.
Old 10 May 2008, 13:21 (Ref:2198243)   #19
A1Reporter
Rookie

A1Reporter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two tests at Silverstone have been scheduled for August. I do know the dates but I am not allowed to reveal them until A1GP and Silverstone are ready to reveal them on there calendars.