Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Nov 2000, 13:51 (Ref:49751)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote frm ITV "Formula 1 should do away with most of the rules and concentrate on simple racing, according to Nigel Mansell.

The 1992 World Champion is fed up with the endless discussion of regulations. He thinks the entertainment is now overshadowed by the FIA’s endless stream of rules.

He told Autosport: “There are just too many dos and don’ts now.

“I would like race drivers to be race drivers again and not have to study the rule book on how to race.” "

BOY...thats right!
I think that the rules about the starting swerve, as well as the one-block move are all stupid...i think a driver has all the rights to protect his own place as long as he practices safety. LET THE GUYS RACE...AND Also, let the 2nd-driver helping the first driver in a race thing be back...if a driver cant overtake a slowing car, he isnt worthy to win!~
Old 24 Nov 2000, 14:19 (Ref:49753)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Quote frm ITV "Formula 1 should do away with most of the rules and concentrate on simple racing, according to Nigel Mansell.

The 1992 World Champion is fed up with the endless discussion of regulations. He thinks the entertainment is now overshadowed by the FIA’s endless stream of rules.

He told Autosport: “There are just too many dos and don’ts now.

“I would like race drivers to be race drivers again and not have to study the rule book on how to race.”
Originally quoted by M Mostly

Quote:
Well it sounds to me like Nigel is a washed up has-been who knows absolutely nothing about racing.
Originally quoted by B Ecclescake

Quote:
Nigel who?
Old 24 Nov 2000, 17:39 (Ref:49764)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max and Bernie: "Ha ha ha, that fool Nigel thinks it's about racing. Hasn't he figured out yet it's about money? In fact, it is not only about money, it is about OUR money!"

Both laugh hysterically and walk off hand in hand into the sunset...taking care not to say this where Our Nige can hear them, because they remember what he did to Senna and they are both considerably smaller than he is ...

(Vision of Nige picking up one in each hand and launching them over the ITV Hospitality Venue into a handy body of water.)
Old 24 Nov 2000, 19:52 (Ref:49774)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

I thought Nigel Mansell was a great F1 pilot, and could still give other drivers a run for their money(in the right car of course)...I agree with him "far to many rules and regulations"....It's funny how Mika H never complains about race starts??? mind you Mika has won two WDC....Irvine pure jelousy,never was and never will be as good as TGF ....And When did Max Mosley last drive an F1 car..

Have a good day!
Old 25 Nov 2000, 09:18 (Ref:49819)   #5
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rule are essential for professional racing. Only the amateurs don't need them.

The problems with the current rules are instead of drawing up clear guidelines for the teams, it create so many grey areas, allowing different teams to cheat at different stage. Maybe there should be a voting system whereby bad rules will be voted out every year.
Old 25 Nov 2000, 10:20 (Ref:49826)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got a great idea. The problem - as Max sees it - is that it's impossible to police driver aids, so they may as well let them happen.

Dear Max,

So here's the thing. In a revolutionary, and groundbreaking development, I personally have invented two devices which will solve the problem. The first is a long bit of something connecting a pedal to a carburettor. I'm going to call it a "throttle cable". Then I suggest a long wandy thing which runs from beside the driver to a box of ratios behind the engine. This I shall christen the "gear lever".

Dear Max Mosley. These revolutionary ideas will remove all danger of computerised jiggerypokery. It will sort the drivers from the playboys, and the real race fans will come flocking once again.

As the inventor, I would like £613 million please, to share between me and my online buddies - Bernie can afford it.

And then, here's another radical thing - with the cars more responsive to good drivers, and less forgiving to mediocre ones, you won't need all those rules to stop people pushing the envelope. People will be able to race for a change, and not have to rely on dodgy tactics. That'll be fun, eh? You know, Max - racing? The thing you used to do with an F3 car all those years....

Max?

Max?

NURSE.......!
Old 25 Nov 2000, 10:58 (Ref:49831)   #7
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim, do these things really exist? A physical link between what the driver does and how it affects the car? Surely this would never work. Why, the drivers may break their engines or gearboxes, and without that red light how would they know that the gear needed changing?

On a more serious note. Didn't Max say, when banning 'driver aids', that he would rather see a standard ECU forced upon the teams than a return to gizmos? What happened to that idea?
Old 25 Nov 2000, 12:00 (Ref:49836)   #8
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Fly by Wire" throttles were banned for 1994.

I would like to see things like anti-stall go too. However I would not like to see a universal ECU... what would be the point? Let's not start down that road, it's the top of a slippery slope!

Old 25 Nov 2000, 12:51 (Ref:49841)   #9
angst
Veteran

Well, given a choice between traction control etc. and having a standard ECU I know which side I would come down on. Besides maybe the threat of it would bring the manufacturers/constructors to their senses and they may come forward with some suggestions as to how the gizmos could be policed effectively. Especially as some of these are the people who have been circumventing the rules, so know all the loopholes.
Old 25 Nov 2000, 12:57 (Ref:49842)   #10
angst
Veteran

Well, given a choice between traction control etc. and having a standard ECU I know which side I would come down on. Besides maybe the threat of it would bring the manufacturers/constructors to their senses and they may come forward with some suggestions as to how the gizmos could be policed effectively. Especially as some of these are the people who have been circumventing the rules, so know all the loopholes.
Old 26 Nov 2000, 17:31 (Ref:49981)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you did bring back that wonderful new old invention, the driver-controlled gear changer system, you'd have to bring back men in racing and send all the little boys home to mature.

Since it has been well proven that the most endangered species in motor racing at the top levels is real men, I don't know that your proposal has much chance in the near term; however, as a long term option it has intriguing possibilities.

How bout we mandate the use of these objects in the lower formulae, for a start? Then the boys could get a chance either to learn to be men or to start an alternate career as a Democratic Party candidate for president or a ballot counter in Florida, or something requiring less manliness.

I also propose we declare a forty year moratorium on the following statements:

1. I didn't see him.
2. Ferrari is cheating.
3. We need more Americans on the grid.
4. We demand a recount, remeasurement, or re-run of the race until it is definitely proven that we did, too, win.

Thank you.