Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Dec 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1188982)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Memorabilia

Wow - The offseason is pretty slow for news thus far!

So let's talk about SOMETHING!!!

How about "Memorabilia"? What cool souveniers have you got?

As for myself, I've collected at least one autograph from 53 different racing personalities, including four former WDC's. Most of these I have as framed 8x10's.

I've built three CC model kits (Barron, Moore and Mansell) and another of JV's Williams.

My wife and I have stolen many a banner from raceways, several of Marlboro and several of Players. As they cannot advertise tobacco anymore, I'd imagine that these things are somewhat of a collectors item? I've also got a nice Marlboro-Racing ashtray, and several racing-related Zippo lighters.

We've also got several T-shirts, some featuring drivers and teams, others featuring specific events. Same goes with ballcaps. My kids even had CART infant and toddler clothing!

I sent Mr. & Mrs. Mears an invitation to our wedding, and received the reply card signed by Rick. That was pretty cool. Too bad he couldn't attend.

In our livingroom we have a beautiful Theirry Thompson numbered print of Rick winning his fourth BorgWarner. It is the centerpiece of the room.

On our front porch we have the RR tire from Al Unser Jr's winning IROC car from Michigan. Sitting atop a stand, with a custom-cut piece of glass, it makes a really interesting table!

I've also got three jackets - two of Penske (pre-split) and a newer one of Forsythe Racing.

But what I cherish the most are the many memories of the fantastic weekends we've been fortunate enough to spend with ChampCar!
Old 28 Dec 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1189011)   #2
jklein6419
Racer

United States
florida
jklein6419 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a friend of mine knew gil de ferrans personal assistant and got me an autograph from the man himself saying "best wishes cliff". whats cool is about a month later he won some race in indy i also have a baseball sighned by mario and tickets for the last ever winston cup race.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 23:37 (Ref:1189138)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I have a framed autographed card of Jimmy Vasser, courtesy of some guy who already posted in this topic (lovely fellow!), a few F1 & NASCAR postcards, hundreds of die-cast cars, posters, a BAR shirt, two Jacques caps...
Old 28 Dec 2004, 23:41 (Ref:1189141)   #4
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got the Autosport 2005 Calendar from my folks... That was a nice surprise! I also have two Molson Indy Bubba Kegs (empty now), one of them is Paul Tracy. I also snagged the 2000 Vancouver Indy program from a Value Village in Calgary, but that's about all I've got.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 03:24 (Ref:1189179)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I have pictures of Lone Star JR and AJ Foyt signed personally. The coolest though is the Richard Petty signature I obtained - amazingly complex thing to see (and to watch him sign!).

Rutherford was a real cool guy to talk to as well.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 03:32 (Ref:1189182)   #6
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Wow - The offseason is pretty slow for news thus far!

So let's talk about SOMETHING!!!

How about "Memorabilia"? What cool souveniers have you got?

As for myself, I've collected at least one autograph from 53 different racing personalities, including four former WDC's. Most of these I have as framed 8x10's.

I've built three CC model kits (Barron, Moore and Mansell) and another of JV's Williams.

My wife and I have stolen many a banner from raceways, several of Marlboro and several of Players. As they cannot advertise tobacco anymore, I'd imagine that these things are somewhat of a collectors item? I've also got a nice Marlboro-Racing ashtray, and several racing-related Zippo lighters.

We've also got several T-shirts, some featuring drivers and teams, others featuring specific events. Same goes with ballcaps. My kids even had CART infant and toddler clothing!

I sent Mr. & Mrs. Mears an invitation to our wedding, and received the reply card signed by Rick. That was pretty cool. Too bad he couldn't attend.

In our livingroom we have a beautiful Theirry Thompson numbered print of Rick winning his fourth BorgWarner. It is the centerpiece of the room.

On our front porch we have the RR tire from Al Unser Jr's winning IROC car from Michigan. Sitting atop a stand, with a custom-cut piece of glass, it makes a really interesting table!

I've also got three jackets - two of Penske (pre-split) and a newer one of Forsythe Racing.

But what I cherish the most are the many memories of the fantastic weekends we've been fortunate enough to spend with ChampCar!
*ROBS MACDADDY'S HOUSE*

Last edited by drewdawg727; 29 Dec 2004 at 03:33.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 07:31 (Ref:1189220)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Good point, Omega...
I've got all three of those Molson ChampCar "Bubba" kegs, too!
Old 29 Dec 2004, 19:08 (Ref:1189475)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Just thought of something else...

I've got a really sharp-looking fitted ballcap from the 1999 "$10M Invitational Hawaiin SuperPrix" - a race that never was.

And my young daughter coloured a picture of a racecar, attempting to make it look like Paul Tracy's. I sent it to a member here, who had it autographed and returned it just in time for her birthday. It's in her room, beside an autographed picture of Ashley Taws and her "BarbieMobile".

One of my favourite shirts is from NoFear, and all across the back are scattered nuts. No bolts, just nuts. The caption reads "20 to finish the race. 2 to win."

And one thing that I still have from the Vegas race...
A little bit of a hangover.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 20:36 (Ref:1189514)   #9
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This makes me sound like one of those obsessed fans

I have the programs, tickets to race day, tickets to Carb Day, and tickets to random practice days for every Indy 500 since 1994,

Tickets and programs from 1999 and 2001 Milwaukee, 2000 Toronto, 2002 Mid-Ohio and Chicago, and 2004 Cleveland,

and the same for the US Grand Prix and Brickyard 400 from 2001-2004.

Two walls in my room are covered with autographed pictures of cars, me with drivers, and covers of magazines.

On the shelf with all the programs, there are folders of those pages drivers have at autograph sessions, from all of the races above except F1.

Then there are the RACER magazines I won't get rid of, and the pages of the sports section (CART and Indy 500-related articles) since 2001, and pictures from the races in a huge box.

There are also hats, shirts, and tickets that have been autographed.

It helps to live in Indy though...

Oh! I forgot those bumper stickers they always pass out!

Last edited by racefanatic; 29 Dec 2004 at 20:39.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:55 (Ref:1189554)   #10
suzmac
Racer

United States
Cleveland, Ohio
suzmac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have tons of stuff but it's mostly Patrick Carpentier memorabilia...yeah I know you find it hard to believe!! The coolest thing I have was from Patrick's third place finish at Mid-Ohio...I believe it was 2001. I went to the media tent after the press conference was over and asked where Patrick was sitting and went to the table and took the water bottle he drank from!!! I have a huge picture of Patrick's #32 car that's autographed that I need to frame and a whole mess of other pictures that are autographed by Patrick as well as a collection of Forsythe and Players gear.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 10:47 (Ref:1189778)   #11
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My pride and joy is the 1994 Indy500 shirt that is a size to small. And a poster with pics of all the drivers and their sigs from Lexmark Indy 2003. And because of the line up changes some of the drivers scribbled out the pictures of the chap they replaced and signed their name over the top
Old 30 Dec 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1190130)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unfortunately no Champ Car Memorabilia, as there it's difficult over here, but in a few years time I may attend some races. Montreal, maybe.
Or hopefully Manchester 2006.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 00:23 (Ref:1190240)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seem to recall this thread topic happening again, but we need something to talk about! I have a pathetic lack of CC stuff. Mostly just a big picture of the close Indy finish between Unser Jr. and Goodyear. I'm not sure if a 2005 Bridgestone Motorsports calender with CC drivers for 4 of the months counts?

A while back I clicked on one of the google links to ebay to support the forum. It took me to Ebay where some guy in the UK was selling an authentic NH rear winglett (back from the Havoline days). I'm pretty sure it went shockingly cheap. If I wasn't so poor I would have swallowed the shipping cost and bought it. I really want some parts off of cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzmac
Patrick was sitting and went to the table and took the water bottle he drank from!!!
What was the name of that company who made a clone of that woman's cat for $50k?

Last edited by Snrub; 31 Dec 2004 at 00:26.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1190702)   #14
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a picture of myself and Paul Tracy, it was at Laguna Testing a few years back.... He is not my favorite driver on and off the track.... So if I ever post the picture here you will see the bunny ears Im giving him.

I also have a brake rotor off of Fernandezes car, that I had him autograph... my family actually took six of them.

Last edited by GBoehm; 31 Dec 2004 at 18:49. Reason: Typo
Old 31 Dec 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1190723)   #15
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My stuff is kinda lame....

*A Michael Andretti Motorola champ car model
*A 2003 CART calendar
*I got Nelson Phillippe and Roberto Gonzalez to sign our Long Beach tickets this year
*A Team Target cookie tin containing replicas of the four championsip-winning cars from 1996-1999.

Eh... I guess it's alright :-)
Old 1 Jan 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1191265)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive got a signed programme from Rockingham , I got Roger Penske , Rick Mears , Gil de Ferran , + about 10 other driver signitures .....I Spoke to Paul Newman too , which is something i will never forget ...What a Gent !

other Memorabilia ( not Champ Car ) ...The right rear tyre from the 1994 LOTUS F1 car which turned out to be their last ever race , + 2 Personally signed prints of Takuma Sato .
Old 1 Jan 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1191266)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sato san
+ 2 Personally signed prints of Takuma Sato .
Fan of Sato?
Old 1 Jan 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1191273)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All I have is a signed Montoya framed print. It is quite stunning.

It's great to think that it has been written on by an F3000 champ, CART champion, Indy 500 winner and four times GP winner including Monaco.

Sad ay?
Old 3 Jan 2005, 07:16 (Ref:1192052)   #19
xbook
Rookie

xbook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my favorites things I have in my house is a part from Richie Hearns' Champ Car. I want to say this was maybe from a '99 car. It sits right on top of my DVD case next to my TV. I love when friends come over and ask what it is. I say it is the part just aft of the hot air exhaust from left sidepod, and it is made from a material that is WAY stronger than steel or aluminum. Then, I ask them to try and bend it or snap it. Everyone is allowed impressed.

The other pieces I have that I cherish are my Michael Schumacher 1/18 scale models. I have all of them from 1997 on forward. And for the 1998-2003 cars, I have the malboro livery decals. It is very enojyable to have some die-cast models that i had to put a little sweat into too.

There are a bunch of other pieces. But those are the best.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1192086)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Basically just a bunch of videos and magazines. The oldest Champ Car race on tape dates back to the 60's (err, not an original recording of course), while the oldest magazines are a couple of Speed Age Magazines from the mid-50's with some Champ Car race stories in them. Things sure have changed a lot since then.

Got some newer stuff as well, of course, but I prefer the old days. Speaking of newer stuff, I actually just a few days ago bought the 'Official 1983 PPG IndyCar World Series Annual Yearbook' on eBay.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1192173)   #21
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I've tapped races from 2001 to 2003 then tapped over them by mistake.
But I still have St.Petersburg, Long beach and Brands and the two races at Rokingham.

I have most of the Autocourse books, and Justin Wilson and Darren Manning's autographs.

Last edited by luke; 3 Jan 2005 at 13:19.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1192178)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I've tapped races from 2001 to 2003 then tapped over them by mistake.
What size tapping bits did you use? M1?

Prevent taping over your tapes by labelling them luke! I've hundreds of tapes and never tape over any (although there is one I am tempted to tape over).
Old 3 Jan 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1192179)   #23
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Better yet, transfer 'em to DVD

Last edited by rustyfan; 3 Jan 2005 at 13:31.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1192181)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

If you've got the bloody money!
Old 3 Jan 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1192187)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
If you've got the bloody money!
Actually, if you have a video-card with hardware support for MPEG-2 capturing and a DVD-burner - neither of which being very expensive these days - you can transfer VHS tapes to DVD at home at a very reasonable price