Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amateur athletics, non league football?
Old 1 Feb 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1513492)   #52
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
As BRSCC is (allegedly) organising most racing at Rockingham this season, what would tempt me to sign up as a marshal member, rather than not, as seems to be suggested here?
Strange as it may seem after what I started here, if the BRSCC was putting on quality racing on a regular basis at the circuit where I marshalled most, then I would join to indicate my support for what they were doing.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1513516)   #53
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think that is the problem Al, the lack of quality racing, that is why many are considering not rejoining. It is a shame because in the past this has not been the case and the BRSCC have put on some spectacular meetings.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 14:46 (Ref:1513538)   #54
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
I think that is the problem Al, the lack of quality racing, that is why many are considering not rejoining. It is a shame because in the past this has not been the case and the BRSCC have put on some spectacular meetings.
Again, we in the North West are lucky. BRSCCNW runs arguably the best club championship in the country, NW Formula Ford; big grids & superb racing. Add to that the XR's, smaller grids but always, er......entertaining , various other stuff such as Porsche 924's, a couple of visits from the Alfa's, etc., two great circuits, Oulton & Anglesey & you have the recipe for some excellent meetings. Nothing to do with your problems down south, I know, but it shows that it ain't all bad!
Old 1 Feb 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1513598)   #55
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
Just an 'innocent' enquiry which, I think Stephen, is more or less on thread! Are there any other sports where the VOLUNTEER officials are expected or encouraged to pay for membership (even with a discount or rebate scheme) to the clubs that they work for or represent?
I'm not sure if it's the case in the UK, but as far as I remember, in Ireland, the reason is actually to do with tax. Subscription clubs, like charities, are exempt from certain kinds of tax. Perhaps one of our financial folks could clarify?
Old 1 Feb 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1513623)   #56
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
I'm not sure if it's the case in the UK, but as far as I remember, in Ireland, the reason is actually to do with tax. Subscription clubs, like charities, are exempt from certain kinds of tax. Perhaps one of our financial folks could clarify?
Quite possibly Pumpkin but my point was really that it does seem a little strange (?) that we are all giving up our time to enable the club(s) to run events successfully and to (hopefully) get a financial break-even and then asked to make the payment of a subscription to that club for 'looking after' their competitors.
I know that some clubs provide free or subsidised membership for marshals and officials and, of course, I'm not referring to the BMMC, which exists for different reasons. I know this doesn't affect many of us but I've always been intrigued as to why the MSA charges for Clerks, Scrutineers and other licences. I'm not militant about it - just asking if people know if it's the same in other sports? The relevence to the thread is that the BRSCC used to put some degree of pressure on its' marshals to be members.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1513627)   #57
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didnt realise there were so many with reasons for leaving BRSCC. I have not renewed my membership this year and have I half filled stamp card. I just think that in so many ways they have lost direction and are no longer value for money or in some cases giving a service to the marshals. I have however renewed my BMMC (Main Club)
BARC, BRDC and MGCC. All clubs that at present seem to be ok. Unless you know different?
Old 1 Feb 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1513631)   #58
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must admit I've been thinking for some years now about severing my ties with the BRSCC. Just what do we get for our £30.00? As volunteering can be done via the BMMC, and you get treated equally well if you're a member or not, including inclusion in a usually most generous raffle!! Add to that a newsletter which Annie produces, mainly I suspect just to inform us of sign-on and briefing times. (Why ARE they under the control tower!? A real pain for those on Paddock, Druids and GHB) Another reason why it would be a wrench to leave 'em, is I've progressed through the ranks with most - if not all - of the Chiefs and some of them I class as very good friends, but in this day and age, thirty quid is, well, thirty quid!
Old 1 Feb 2006, 19:45 (Ref:1513728)   #59
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
The relevence to the thread is that the BRSCC used to put some degree of pressure on its' marshals to be members.
Again we're lucky because this doesn't apply in the North West - membership of any car club is optional - you don't have to be a member of that club to marshal at that club's meetings.

Old 1 Feb 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1513737)   #60
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee
Again we're lucky because this doesn't apply in the North West - membership of any car club is optional - you don't have to be a member of that club to marshal at that club's meetings.

AFAIK it doesn't apply in ANY areas!

The BRSCC (as a whole) has never suggested or implied (to me) that I should be a member of their Club.

The BRSCCNW has several "Chiefs" of various disciplines (Including, at times, yours truly) that are not members of the BRSCC.

I once was given a free 12 month membership to the BRSCC but didn't renew it. Not because I had any negatives about the Club, but I didn't see how it affected my marshalling for them by not being a member.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1513738)   #61
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think Joh is referring to the old days when the Formula Ford Festival was a much larger event. There was a time when the BRSCC would only let marshals who were members officiate at the event. I can understand that idea when you have so many marshals who want to come along, sadly these days we aren't so lucky with marshal numbers.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1513794)   #62
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never really understood the high membership fees or all the different clubs you can / may / must join in the UK. We (Belgium) pay 10 € (6,5 Pound) for our MSA license. That is it, no extra costs, no other clubs to join. There is just the national MSA to join and you are allowed to marshal at both (!) tracks.

Why should I pay money to get a refund / discount at a D&D? Doesn't make any sense to me, to be honest. I'm there to marshal and have some fun. If I want to do a D&D, I wouldn't mind paying for it.
I more than understand the problems that have been mentioned here, so I guess I'd do the same thing.

I must stress that in my case BRSCC and others ( ) treated me very well all these years.

But maybe that is because I'm just a bit
Old 2 Feb 2006, 00:27 (Ref:1513917)   #63
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm a marshal, so I joined the marshals' club. The other clubs are racing clubs, so I never saw the reason to join them. I can't see I'm going to do anything other than give them my money. Before I marshalled I was a member of the MAC, mainly because it got me into Shelsley cheaper over the season. Since I got in cheaper once I went on the bank I let that lapse.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 22:35 (Ref:1514526)   #64
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I was in a minority of one before reading this thread. I have also decided to stop my membership this year.

Before I say why, I must say I have lots of friends amongst the Brands BRSCC regulars and have always been treated well there, except for one run in with a previous circuit management.

I have never had any problems marshalling at any other circuits either, whoever is running the meeting.

So why have I decided to cease membership.

First I feel the Club has lost it's way.
The grass roots members are trying to enjoy their sport and do the right job right, but the leadership seems more intend on club kudos and image in the media.
Yes, it is good to be able to say we run exotic meetings, but the bulk of the members are amatures who want to race or marshal for fun, not financial reward.

Second, I don't need the club to marshal, either at Brands or at any other BRSCC run meeting at other circuits. The fee gives me absolutely nothing in return.

One reason I will stay a member of BMMC is the insurance they provide, which is I believe even better than the MSA insurance you become entitled to at sign on.

So I will continue to marshal at Brands with my friends, and continue tio marshal elsewhere with my friends, and have an extra £30 to pay for some diesel to get me there.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1514558)   #65
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As i said earlier I am not renewing my BRSCC Membership but are staying with some others.
MG Car Club. I have an MG and the car club offers much more than just marshalling and racing. There is a very full social side.
BRDC membersip entitles you to gain access to the circuit for most meetings as a spectator. Sorry but I have not been able to fit in their social activities.
BARC If you attend BARC meetings as a marshal and get a stamp on the card provided it allows you to get a discount on membership. Depending on the number of meetings it can cover the total cost. (I have never had to pay yet)
I belong to the BMMC as it is our own club and believe it to be excellent value.
However I accept you dont have to belong to a club, but some do provide value for money.
Old 3 Feb 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1514804)   #66
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like many I am in the BMMC as it THE marshals Club, and not a race organisation with a marshals bit tagged on.
Now if these race organisations as commercial enterprises issued free oranges (overalls that is) and waterproofs etc (as all employers have to provide adequate H&S and PPE for their employees) maybe it would be different - they do after all make money out of our free labour.
This year the BMMC is the only club I am renewing membership of as it is the only one which represents me and other marshals at ALL levels, and is also value for money regarding insurance, training etc.
Having said that, all my marshalling friends are members of other or even no clubs and it makes absolutely no difference. We share a common hobby and that is what matters.
Old 3 Feb 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1515003)   #67
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
unlike it seems most people on this thread i only have a membership of the brscc as i marshal mainly in the midlands i can do enough meeting with out being in any other club . i stop beening a member of the marshals club for that reason as i saw no point in paying twice to marshal