Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 19 Jun 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2232450)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autosport - Le Mans on the front cover!

Possibly flying in the face of potential opposition from the Haymarket bean counters, Andrew V D B has put Le Mans, instead of F1, on the front cover. The fact that the Canadian GP didn't clash this year and that it was one of the finest Le Mans 24 hour races for many years has enabled him to do so, but, I suspect it was still a bit of a sales gamble. I wonder if we can help offset the likely drop off in the sales by casual F1 fans which has often been discussed here before? Inside, 12 pages are devoted to this great race with many pics, plus, at the back in the National section, a page on the GroupC/GTP race that had taken place earlier on in the day.

Those of you may have given up on Autosport may not be aware that there have been some noticeable changes this year. Many of the GP reports are prefaced by a report from the same race in a previous era. Often, too, there has been 'historic' features. This week the 1953 French GP is covered and we know what a cracker that one was.

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Jun 2008 at 08:55.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2232456)   #2
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't suppose they've given it a Green title heading to reflect the British driver winning? Or should that be blue top in McNish's case?
Old 19 Jun 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2232458)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, but the winning car is shown with the McNish helmet prominent behind the wheel and McNish in the headline title. Also an inset picture of the winning GT1 Gulf 009 Aston.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2232473)   #4
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a quick flip through, looking forward to reading during my lunch break
Old 19 Jun 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2232488)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Can't wait to get home and read it. I hope all those who complained about the lack of non-F1 front covers go out and buy this week's issue.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 09:56 (Ref:2232502)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who'd have thought! I will probably open it this week.

Well done Autosport.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2232674)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I decided to buy this weeks edition before I heard this, now there's even more reason to do so.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 15:01 (Ref:2232691)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe it is indicative of the death of the evil F1?
Old 19 Jun 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2232787)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I saw this in WHSmiths earlier and hoped it would be recognised. Well done Autosport!

It just looks so much better than the usual doesn't it? And Le Mans deserves at least the one cover per year.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2233270)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Now read it from cover to cover. Even more Le Mans coverage than I thought with a few news stories in Pit & Paddock and the whole of the 'The week in Pictures' double spread down to Allan McNish. Even Photo finish at the back of the mag is about the 1972 Le Mans.

In addition to all the Le Mans writings, there are the usual reports including Alex Zanardi's (what an inspirational bloke) great win in the WTCC at Brno and the contentious tactics of Ford in the WRC in Turkey. On a more sombre note, a two page tribute to Ove Andersson. All great stuff.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2233340)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I haven't read it all yet, but it was opened, which is a start. I am hoping it is great. I am looking forward to finding out from the small print if McNish had any team mates.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2233577)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't read it from cover to cover John, I've got no cash!

Send me your copy.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2233607)   #13
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey!

Wish i had a spare £3..

When did it go up to £3 anyway?!
Old 20 Jun 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2233708)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I'd like to thank Andrew for having the courage to do what was undoubtedly the right thing. I bought my copy yesterday (the LM results issue is still a must-have as far as I'm concerned) and was staggered to see the front cover - staggered but delighted. I'm sure we'll be told how sales of this week's issue have plummeted to an all-time low as a result of not having a car driven by a pit-road drag racer on the cover...... But well done Andrew anyway.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2233751)   #15
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I haven't read it all yet, but it was opened, which is a start. I am hoping it is great. I am looking forward to finding out from the small print if McNish had any team mates.
do you sometimes buy it, but not open it ?

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 21 Jun 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2233903)   #16
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Praise were its due. If this carries on I may need to get a paper round!

Top job AutoSport for the coverage, I wonder, did Audi 'Sponsor' the cover?
Old 24 Jun 2008, 18:24 (Ref:2236701)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't buy Autosport weekly anymore, the first time this has been the case since I moved away from the family home and had to buy my own copy instead of reading my dad's. But this is not a criticism of the quality of Autosport, more due to the internet providing my news needs and me preferring the more in-depth articles of Motorsport for a magazine read. Motorsport reads more like a book which is what I want out of a paper read.

Anyway, I don't get this thing about F1 having to be on the cover. I remain convinced that most people who buy Autosport do so because they are relatively hardcore fans anyway. Maybe it's those few who make the difference though who are considered critical to sales. Not knowing the business side of Autosport, I can't commenrt on this.

Besides, with all the F1 on the shelves these days, I would've thought the occasional shot of something like the spectacular-looking Le Mans prototypes would grab people's attention more.

I bought this issue anyway, in order to read the Le Mans coverage.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2236805)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone
do you sometimes buy it, but not open it ?
Adam is a subscriber, I think.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 21:39 (Ref:2236856)   #19
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought it. Wow.

What a great cover!
Old 3 Jul 2008, 11:16 (Ref:2242944)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive been reading the Le Mans reports since I was 9 or something. Great read on the way to Italy on the plane. Does Autosport not have Le Mans on the cover every year?
Old 3 Jul 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2242958)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
Ive been reading the Le Mans reports since I was 9 or something. Great read on the way to Italy on the plane. Does Autosport not have Le Mans on the cover every year?

Errr.....no. Hence our jubilation this year.

If you search for Autosport in Armchair, you'll find a much longer thread which gives you the background to our jubilation......
Old 3 Jul 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2242968)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

They even split the cover for the Bentley win in 2003 (yes, I know it wasn't a strictly British thing) with the Canadian GP. So there is much respect for this years cover.