Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 21 Mar 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2158084)   #26
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Who or what is Moby?
Diminuitive bald, vegan chap. Distantly related to Moby Dick author Herman Melville, hence the moniker. Made his fortune selling insipid electronica to advertising companies and the spiritually dead.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2158183)   #27
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It looks like the Beeb may totally **** the coverage up with these clowns
Old 21 Mar 2008, 14:39 (Ref:2158204)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Aaargh!

You just sent me to the Daily Mail! I'm marked for life.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2158253)   #29
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
How can anyone have not heard Ben Edwards commentate, ever? He's done pretty much everything, I'm sure you've heard him at some point! You probably just don't remember because he didn't annoy the hell out of you.
Possibly, although I've never had Eurosport so if he hasn't commentated on terrestrial TV I'm not likely to have heard him. But even without hearing him I can confidently say I'd rather listen to him than James Allen...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 21 Mar 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2158282)   #30
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Check out ITV4 next Sunday for the BTCC to hear Mr Edwards.

As for the Daily Mail article, I can just see the public inquiry being set up to establish why the BBC paid so much for F1. Really, who cares, they have a budget and they could afford it. Those people at the top are there to take decisions, not to have a commitee meeting any time they're not sure if some leftie wouldn't like it.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2158308)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
God, they really are considering Hammond aren't they?

He should be booted off TV for life and here he is lined up for F1!
Old 21 Mar 2008, 17:07 (Ref:2158314)   #32
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
God, they really are considering Hammond aren't they?
This is looking like the worst-case scenario. I don't dislike Richard Hammond by any means, but his style isn't suited to presenting a serious, complex, international sport like F1. The WRC coverage on Dave should be a warning to all broadcasters that matey, patronising coverage does not work.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2158320)   #33
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think any of the Top Gear team would work presenting live coverage of anything, although Hammond would be the least worst of them.

There's enough talent with BBC sport do do the main presenting, just not for the punditry roles. Bump David Croft (who is like a less excitable James Allen, but much better) up. Try to get Martin with him, if not go for Eddie Irvine or Tiff Needell.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2158321)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can we have a public inquiry into why the Daily Mail exists?

Yes, not everyone likes it. However we can't just go around only having things that everyone likes.

Pathetic people.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2158326)   #35
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing with choosing commentators is that you want one shouty stark raving idiot (your Murray Walker), and a seasoned expert that emits words of wisdom (Martin Brundle).

The Top Gear team commentating would wind up as three stark raving shouty idiots. That doesn't work. But two Martins doesn't work either. The only example of this I can find is the Sim Touring Car Cup with Becky Rose (who actually runs the whole series) and Tristan Cliffe (known for being a slightly antisocial but knowledgable person). Skip to five minutes and five seconds.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2158353)   #36
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Richard Hammond in place of Jim Rosenthal.
Martin Brundle and Damon Hill commentating.
Jodie Kidd on the grid.
Murray Walker summarising.

It's got to be a winner.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2158357)   #37
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whatever they do most people will not like it

Sad thing is that racing should really do the talking shouldnt it?
Old 21 Mar 2008, 18:21 (Ref:2158360)   #38
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
Martin Brundle and Damon Hill commentating.
I don't think two expert commentators would really work. On your system replace Murray with Damon Hill and put Martin Haven (or either of the Motorsports Mundial team) in the place Damon vacated.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2158370)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Whatever they do most people will not like it
Wrong, we'll love it, we just won't like the commentary team unless it has the balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Sad thing is that racing should really do the talking shouldnt it?
Ever tried watching it in a foreign language? Beleive me you don't actually need commentators unless you don't know what's going on. but you miss them, because they make the bits that you know are boring, interesting.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 13:54 (Ref:2158952)   #40
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeremy Clarkson to do the grid walk please!!
Old 22 Mar 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2159009)   #41
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
No way. If you were an F1 driver, would you want to talk to Jeremy Clarkson right before going racing?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 22 Mar 2008, 16:51 (Ref:2159056)   #42
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see David Croft and Martin Brundle in the box with Maurice Hamilton in the Blundell role. Louise Goodman in the pitlane and keep Steve Rider as the host. If they can't get Rider I can't really think of anyone else that appeals, but please god not any of the Top Gear boys - love the show, think they're great, but definitely not the right people to host F1!
Old 22 Mar 2008, 17:10 (Ref:2159069)   #43
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jonny Herbert spoke well during his interview with ITV this morning, what would his availability be like for the Blundell role?
Old 22 Mar 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2159078)   #44
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Jonny Herbert spoke well during his interview with ITV this morning, what would his availability be like for the Blundell role?
I think Johnny Herbert sees his future as a racing driver and as such I would imagine that his availability for such a role would depend on whether he has any other commitments, such as in Sportscars or Speedcar.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2159110)   #45
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently today Clarkson said in his newpaper column that the Australian GP was as exciting as sitting in Kwikfit. Clarkson has been banging on for years now about how boring F1 is. Why doesn't he just stop watching it and shut up?

It's a shame because i do generally like Clarkson. We all know F1 has its faults, but he just covers the same old ground with his comments.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 22 Mar 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2159130)   #46
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've never understood Clarkson completely regarding F1, but I think he does really like it more than he lets on somehow.

He'll love it again when he's kissing one of the drivers backsides on the Top Gear set.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 20:17 (Ref:2159144)   #47
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally id like to see Brundle and Haven in the commentry booth with Diana Binks doing the pit lane reporting. As for the presenters well I dont really care as long as it isnt James Allen or Carlton Kirby or Mark Cole!
Old 22 Mar 2008, 21:55 (Ref:2159208)   #48
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sky sports do something called "fanzone" for football, where you press red and get commentary from 2 hardcore fans. Maybe we could have something similar

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 22 Mar 2008, 22:31 (Ref:2159231)   #49
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
SPECTATORSAL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There can only be one man for the job, he stands head & shoulders about the rest, Snetterton's finest with that lovely Norfolk accent.........Lewis Beales!!!

YOKOHAMA!!!

BOMB HOLE!!

Old 23 Mar 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2159571)   #50
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Crazy Dave to commentate ?