Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 23 Mar 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2159761)   #51
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm...there are only so many nipple jokes a person can take.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2161130)   #52
CDK 7
Racer

United Kingdom
kings lynn
CDK 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle in the commentary box
Need we say any more

Last edited by John Turner; 25 Mar 2008 at 19:23.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2161274)   #53
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Crazy Dave to commentate ?
Well, Martin's probably capable of doing the lead commentary; and DC could then take on the lap-by-lap analysis role.
Could be a good management decision for someone!
Old 27 Mar 2008, 09:43 (Ref:2162821)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Frankly I don't much care as long as they retain Brundle - I don't even share the paranoia regarding Mr. Allen........
Old 27 Mar 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2163368)   #55
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do have paranoia concerning Allen. If they chose him it will confirm my belief that competency is actively discouraged in this world.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2163384)   #56
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anchor - Richard Hammond (No Clarkson and May, as good as they are on Top Gear they are not suited to motorsport coverage)
Play by Play - Ben Edwards.
Colour - Martin Brundle
Technical Expert - Sam Collins

Something to take from Nascar is a life size cutaway of a car, they have them on the Nationwide Series coverage and it really helps illustrate the technical side of things.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 27 Mar 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2163398)   #57
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Please not Murray (Motorsport News ) he's older than me, and I never know what day of the week it is. Although I suppose he did raise a few laughs that woke us up during the boring bits !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Mar 2008, 09:22 (Ref:2163686)   #58
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Richard Hammond? Do I need to remind people this is the man who reckons he uttered the old Top Gear "how hard can it be?" line before driving an F1 car?
Old 28 Mar 2008, 09:31 (Ref:2163694)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we actually spend too much time worrying about the commentators. Yes, I like Brundle, he's an educated former driver who knows his stuff, but beyond that I tend to switch off.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2164020)   #60
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of a of a Top Gear F1 show on the Friday night before a race but not any involvement in the actual race coverage / commentary.

If they do go ahead with a TGF1 show then I would really like to see Perry Macarthy involved to provide a drivers perspective / mickey taking. Thats assuming they'll have him back on Top Gear.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2164023)   #61
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
georgeboi999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to listen to a Edwards - Brundle commentary every f1 race.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 10:10 (Ref:2164386)   #62
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think it ought to be Ian Titchmarsh and Paul Truswell personally........
Old 2 Apr 2008, 21:48 (Ref:2168191)   #63
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
SPECTATORSAL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Several days ago I suggested that Lewis Beales took on the job. As no-one has responded I can only assume you all agree with me and we'll be listening to the soft Norfolk drawl of one of the most gifted orators of our modern age very soon!!! All we need now is for every Grand Prix to be run at Snetterton so we can hear every fortnight those magic words...."BOMBHOLE" & "REVETTS STRAIGHT" & "ESSES"!!

Old 2 Apr 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2168197)   #64
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard John Neal

Knowledgable, passionate and can even string whole sentences together that make sense.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 11:33 (Ref:2168571)   #65
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely NOT Brundle, or James bloody allen.

MURRAY MURRAY MURRAY!

Please? Just once?

I wish anyone could find a duo that could match BBC's Moto GP team...
Old 3 Apr 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2168753)   #66
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Richard John Neal

Knowledgable, passionate and can even string whole sentences together that make sense.
He can also string very long sentences together without breathing or taking any other form of gap!

He's a great commentator, and very much underused, but I can't help but wonder if he's excitability could get annoying after a while.
The trackside PA during a Legends race is always incredibly amusing, as you pass from the non-stop incomprehensible (that's mainly the fault of the PA system at circuits) screaming of RJN to the monosyllabic drones of the circuit commentator out on the other side of the circuit.
I am absolutely sure that on some occasions there's been two races going on, but no-one's noticed
Old 3 Apr 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2168781)   #67
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
georgeboi999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Richard John Neal

He is a quality commentator and he isn't boring. It would be a good thing if the BBC gets him to commentate on the races.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2169051)   #68
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps we should have a vote of all the options put forward in this thread and then send the results to the Beeb - they may or may not take notice, but it'd be a nice way to at least get the opinions of 10/10ths to somewhere useful
Old 6 Apr 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2171766)   #69
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those (such as myself!) who hadn't really heard Ben Edwards do any commentary before, I think this is an excellent example of how to do "excited but not annoying":

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K5AoTROb0H0

Great clip regardless!
Old 7 Apr 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2172278)   #70
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
*gets overexcited and nostalgic*
Old 8 Apr 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2173119)   #71
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like redshoes' suggestion of Hindy - but it might get in the way of his superb sports car commentary. There's nothing quite like listening to Hindy after he's been awake for about 48 hours at Le Mans.

The guy is quite simply one of the all time great sporting commentators - and there's not many of them. Peter O'Sullevan, John Arlott, John Madden, Bill McLaren, Phil Liggett... Hindy is right up there with them at describing and even creating the atmosphere, taking you inside the minds of the competitors, and conveying authoritative knowledge without sounding stuffy.

Actually, no. He's too good for F1, let's keep him for proper racing
Old 12 Apr 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2176110)   #72
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Would be better to listen with no commentary. We all know what is going on. How many times have we screamed at the screen. Look Look.. This is happening? Just listen to the noise and Pit Radios..
Old 12 Apr 2008, 23:07 (Ref:2176118)   #73
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta
Would be better to listen with no commentary. We all know what is going on. How many times have we screamed at the screen. Look Look.. This is happening? Just listen to the noise and Pit Radios..
Well it would be nice to have an option to turn off the commentary, but I don't think you can get rid of it all together, allot of viewer's these days (Hamilton 'fans') don't know that much about F1.
Old 19 Apr 2008, 01:00 (Ref:2181051)   #74
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Okay, here's my five penn'orth:

Replace Steve Ryder with Richard Hammond. I'm quite surprised to read myself saying that, but I heard the Hamster introducing a completely non-motoring programme the other night and he was very good, without any ego showing. I think he may only act that way when he's with Clarkson.

Replace James Allen with Ben Edwards. Honestly, that's a no brainer.

Keep Martin Brundle. That's essential.

Replace Louise Goodman with Lee McKenzie.

Replace Mark Blundell with Damon Hill, if he would do it. Not Perry McCarthy, because he'd try and take over the show.

Maybe keep Ted Kravitz. I think I prefer him to Simon Hill, who is another option.
Old 19 Apr 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2181207)   #75
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper
Well it would be nice to have an option to turn off the commentary, but I don't think you can get rid of it all together, allot of viewer's these days (Hamilton 'fans') don't know that much about F1.
The magic of BBC's excellent interadctive could sort this out There are some thimes when theres a massive pileup behind and the commentators are going on about strategy or something, or James Allen is still saying GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! then, it can get annoying, but the commentary does add, If done right.